Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Budman SH, Serrano JMG, Butler SF: Canabuse deterrent formulations make a difference? Expectation and speculation. Harm Reduct J 6:8, 2009. Available at: http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/6/1/8
- Abuse risks and routes of administration of different prescription opioid compounds and formulations.Harm Reduct J. 2011; 8: 29
- Characteristics of prescription opioid abusers in treatment: prescription opioid use history, age, use patterns and functional severity.J Opioid Manag. 2010; 6: 239-252
- Initial validation of a computer-administered Addiction Severity Index: the ASI-MV.Psychol Addict Behav. 2001; 15: 4-12
- National addictions vigilance intervention and prevention program (NAVIPPRO™): a real-time, product-specific, public health surveillance system for monitoring prescription drug abuse.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2008; 17: 1142-1154
- Prescription OxyContin abuse among patients entering addiction treatment.Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164: 1750-1756
- Association between non-medical and prescriptive usage of opioids.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006; 82: 135-142
- Opioid prescriptions for chronic pain and overdose: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 85-92
FDA Advisory Committee Transcript (October 21, 2010). Joint Meeting of the Anesthetic and Life Support Drugs Advisory Committee and the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee Meeting Announcement. Thursday, October 21, 2010. Available at: http://www.google.com
- Redesigning an ongoing national household survey: Methodological issues.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies, Rockville, MD2002
- Total necrosis of the intranasal structures and soft palate as a result of nasal inhalation of crushed OxyContin.Ear Nose Throat J. 2005; 84: 512-516
- Seeking drug treatment for OxyContin abuse: a chart review of consecutive admissions to a substance abuse treatment facility in Kentucky.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2003; 1: 423-428
- A profile of OxyContin addiction.J Addict Dis. 2008; 23: 1-9
- Palatal perforation associated with intranasal prescription narcotic abuse.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Path Oral Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 99: 594-597
- Tampering with prescription opioids: nature and extent of the problem, health consequences, and solutions.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2011; 37: 205-217
- Internet-based survey of nonmedical prescription opioid use in the United States.Clin J Pain. 2008; 24: 528-535
- Foundations of opioid risk management.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 103-118
- Challenges in the development of prescription opioid abuse-deterrent formulations.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 648-660
- The fifth edition of the Addiction Severity Index.J Subst Abuse Treat. 1992; 9: 199-213
- An improved evaluation instrument for substance abuse patients: The Addiction Severity Index.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1980; 168: 26-33
MMWR. Overdoses of Prescription Opioid Pain Relievers — United States, 1999–2008. MMWR 60: 1487–1492, 2011
National Drug Intelligence Center. OxyContin diversion and abuse. January 2001. Available at: http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs/651/abuse.htm. Accessed February 23, 2012
- A flood of opioids, a rising tide of deaths.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1981-1985
ONDCP (2011). Epidemic: Responding to America’s prescription drug abuse crisis. Available at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/ondcp/issues-content/prescription-drugs/rx_abuse_plan_0.pdf. Accessed March 9, 2011
- Psychiatric and pain characteristics of prescription drug abusers entering drug rehabilitation.J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2006; 20: 5-13
- Opioid formulations designed to resist/deter abuse.Drugs. 2010; 70: 1657-1675
- Medical consequences of substance abuse.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1999; 22: 351-370
- Route of drug use and its implications for drug effect, risk of dependence and health consequences.Drug Alcohol Rev. 1998; 17: 197-211
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Results from the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings. NSDUH Series H-41, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 11–4658. Rockville, MD, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2011
Vector One: National (VONA). SDI Health. Available at: http://www.sdihealth.com/vector_one/services.aspx. Accessed March 9, 2011
- Complications of intranasal prescription narcotic abuse.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2002; 111: 174-177
Stephen F. Butler, Theresa A. Cassidy, Ryan A. Black, and Simon H. Budman are employees of Inflexxion, Inc. Stephen F. Butler and Simon H. Budman are shareholders of Inflexxion, Inc.
Howard Chilcoat, Craig Landau, and Paul Coplan are employees of Purdue Pharma LP.
Preparation of this article was supported in part by Inflexxion, Inc, Newton, MA, and Purdue Pharma LP, Stamford, CT. The authors had sole editorial rights over the manuscript.