- •We performed a randomized trial on the effects of meditation versus self-care exercise in chronic neck pain.
- •Meditation led to superior pain relief and decreased pain-related bothersomeness. Meditation had no effect on functional disability.
- •We conclude that meditation may support chronic pain patients in pain reduction and pain coping.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Mental health indicators and quality of life among individuals with musculoskeletal chronic pain: A nationwide study in Iceland.Scand J Rheumatol. 2014; 43: 419-423
- Cost-of-illness of neck pain in the Netherlands in 1996.Pain. 1999; 80: 629-636
- Neck pain in the general population.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1994; 19: 1307-1309
- Survey of chronic pain in Europe: Prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatment.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 287-333
- German translation and psychometric testing of the SF-36 Health Survey: Preliminary results from the IQOLA Project. International Quality of Life Assessment.Soc Sci Med. 1995; 41: 1359-1366
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction in relation to quality of life, mood, symptoms of stress, and immune parameters in breast and prostate cancer outpatients.Psychosom Med. 2003; 65: 571-581
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction for stress management in healthy people: A review and meta-analysis.J Altern Complement Med. 2009; 15: 593-600
- Mindfulness-based interventions for chronic pain: A systematic review of the evidence.J Altern Complement Med. 2011; 17: 83-93
- A global measure of perceived stress.J Health Soc Behav. 1983; 24: 385-396
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction for low back pain. A systematic review.BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012; 12: 162
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of yoga for low back pain.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 450-460
- Randomized-controlled trial comparing yoga and home-based exercise for chronic neck pain.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 216-223
- Interpreting the clinical importance of treatment outcomes in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.J Pain. 2008; 9: 105-121
- Erhebung zur Stressbelastung in der Deutschen Bevölkerung.F.A.Z.-Institut für Management-, Markt- und Medieninformationen GmbH, Techniker Krankenkasse, Frankfurt am Main, Hamburg2009
- The prevalence of neck pain in the world population: A systematic critical review of the literature.Eur Spine J. 2006; 15: 834-848
- Quality of life measurement: Bibliographic study of patient assessed health outcome measures.BMJ. 2002; 324: 1417
- The neck pain and disability scale: Test-retest reliability and construct validity.Clin J Pain. 2002; 18: 245-250
- Meditation programs for psychological stress and well-being: A systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 357-368
Haase UF: Muskeln entspannen. Techniker Krankenkasse website. July 5th, 2009. Available at: http://www.tk.de/tk/gesunder-ruecken/entspannung-und-entlastung/trainingsposter-muskeln-entspannen/21574. Accessed February 1, 2013
Hautzinger M, Bailer M: Allgemeine Depressionsskala (ADS). Die deutsche Version des CES-D, Beltz, Weinheim, 1991
- Anxiety and stress can predict pain perception following a cognitive stress.Physiol Behav. 2010; 101: 87-92
- The effect of mindfulness-based therapy on anxiety and depression: A meta-analytic review.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2010; 78: 169-183
- The burden and determinants of neck pain in the general population: Results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009; 32: S46-S60
- Neuromodulatory treatments for chronic pain: Efficacy and mechanisms.Nat Rev Neurol. 2014; 10: 167-178
- Risk factors of chronic neck pain: A prospective study among middle-aged employees.Eur J Pain. 2012; 16: 911-920
- Four-year follow-up of a meditation based program for the self-regulation of chronic pain: Treatment outcomes and compliance.Clin J Pain. 1987; 2: 159-173
- An outpatient program in behavioral medicine for chronic pain patients based on the practice of mindfulness meditation: Theoretical considerations and preliminary results.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 1982; 4: 33-47
- The clinical use of mindfulness meditation for the self-regulation of chronic pain.J Behav Med. 1985; 8: 163-190
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of mindfulness-based stress reduction for the fibromyalgia syndrome.J Psychosom Res. 2013; 75: 500-510
- Das State-Trait-Angstinventar.Theoretische Grundlagen und Handanweisung, 1981
- Review of the psychometric evidence of the perceived stress scale.Asian Nurs Res. 2012; 6: 121-127
- Clinical stress assessment using a visual analogue scale.Occup Med. 2012; 62: 600-605
- Yoga for chronic neck pain: A pilot randomized controlled clinical trial.J Pain. 2012; 13: 1122-1130
- Mindfulness meditation for the treatment of chronic low back pain in older adults: A randomized controlled pilot study.Pain. 2008; 134: 310-319
- A mind-body program for older adults with chronic low back pain: Results of a pilot study.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 1395-1407
- The effect of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for prevention of relapse in recurrent major depressive disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Psychol Rev. 2011; 31: 1032-1040
- The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population.Appl Psychol Measure. 1977; 1: 385-401
- Do mindfulness-based interventions reduce pain intensity? A critical review of the literature.Pain Med. 2013; 14: 230-242
- Qigong versus exercise versus no therapy for patients with chronic neck pain: A randomized controlled trial.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011; 36: 419-427
- Effects of long-term home-based exercise on health-related quality of life in patients with chronic neck pain: A randomized study with a 1-year follow-up.Disabil Rehabil. 2012; 34: 1971-1977
- Psychometric properties of a German version of the neck pain and disability scale.Eur Spine J. 2008; 17: 922-929
- Treating fibromyalgia with mindfulness-based stress reduction: Results from a 3-armed randomized controlled trial.Pain. 2011; 152: 361-369
- The psychological effects of meditation: A meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 2012; 138: 1139-1171
- Comparing yoga, exercise, and a self-care book for chronic low back pain: A randomized, controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 143: 849-856
- A randomized trial comparing yoga, stretching, and a self-care book for chronic low back pain.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 2019-2026
- Five-week outcomes from a dosing trial of therapeutic massage for chronic neck pain.Ann Family Med. 2014; 12: 112-120
- Chronic pain, perceived stress, and cellular aging: An exploratory study.Mol Pain. 2012; 8: 12
- Inner and Outer Peace Through Meditation.Radiance, Chicago1997
- State Trait Anxiety Inventory: Bibliography.2nd Ed. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA1989
- Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory.Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo, CA1983
- Acceptance-based interventions for the treatment of chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2011; 152: 533-542
- The outcome of control groups in clinical trials of conservative treatments for chronic mechanical neck pain: A systematic review.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006; 7: 58
- Comparing the effectiveness of mindfulness-based stress reduction and multidisciplinary intervention programs for chronic pain: A randomized comparative trial.Clin J Pain. 2011; 27: 724-734
This trial is registered at German Clinical Trials Register: DRKS00000373.
This study was supported by grants from the Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung and the Karl and Veronica Carstens Stiftung, Germany.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.