- •Cannabis use was associated with 64% lower opioid use in patients with chronic pain.
- •Cannabis use was associated with better quality of life in patients with chronic pain.
- •Cannabis use was associated with fewer medication side effects and medications used.
- A framework for fibromyalgia management for primary care providers.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 488-496
- Medical cannabis laws and opioid analgesic overdose mortality in the United States, 1999–2010.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 19104: 1-6
- Survey criteria for fibromyalgia independently predict increased postoperative opioid consumption after lower-extremity joint arthroplasty.Anesthesiology. 2013; 119: 1434-1443
- Fibromyalgia: A clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1547-1555
- Experience of adjunctive cannabis use for chronic non-cancer pain: Findings from the Pain and Opioids IN Treatment (POINT) study.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015; 147: 144-150
- Should doctors prescribe cannabinoids?.BMJ. 2014; 348: g2737
- The prevalence and incidence of medicinal cannabis on prescription in the Netherlands.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 69: 1575-1580
- Relieving pain in America: A blueprint for transforming prevention, care, education, and research.National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2011
- Fibromyalgia survey criteria are associated with increased postoperative opioid consumption in women undergoing hysterectomy.Anesthesiology. 2015; 122: 1103-1111
- Pharmaceutical overdose deaths, United States, 2010.JAMA. 2013; 309: 657-659
LARA. Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs: MAPS Statistics. Available at: http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-72600_72603_55478_55484---,00.html
- Cannabis and its derivatives: Review of medical use.J Am Board Fam Med. 2011; 24: 452-462
- Cannabinoids for treatment of chronic non-cancer pain; a systematic review of randomized trials.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 72: 735-744
- Central pain mechanisms in the rheumatic diseases: Future directions.Arthritis Rheum. 2013; 65: 291-302
- Cannabinoids for medical use.JAMA. 2015; 313: 2456-2473
- Fibromyalgia criteria and severity scales for clinical and epidemiological studies: A modification of the ACR preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 1113-1122
Advisory Committee on Pain and Symptom Management: 2014: The “state” of pain in Michigan. Available at: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/ACPSM_State_of_Pain_Report_to_Directors_Sept._2014_469555_7.pdf
Dr. Clauw has performed consulting services for and/or served on scientific advisory boards of Pfizer, Lilly, Forest Laboratories, Johnson & Johnson, Purdue Pharma, Nuvo, Cerephex, Tonix, Iroko, Takaeda, Cerephex, IMC, Zynerba, and Samumed. He has received grant support from Pfizer, Forest, Merck, Nuvo, and Cerephex. Dr. Litinas is the Chief Medical Officer at Om of Medicine, a medical cannabis dispensary in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Mr. Boehnke reports no conflicts of interest.