Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- The validity of the hospital anxiety and depression scale. An updated literature review.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 52: 69-77
- Validation of the revised screener and opioid assessment for patients with pain (soapp-r).J Pain. 2008; 9: 360-372
- Pain and its treatment in outpatients with metastatic cancer.NEJM. 1994; 330: 592-596
- Screening for addiction in patients with chronic pain and ‘problematic’ substance use: Evaluation of a pilot assessment tool.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1998; 16: 355-363
- Real-time electronic diary reports of acute exposure in mood in the hours before cocaine and heroin craving and use.Arch Gen Psych. 2009; 66: 88-94
- Heroin anticraving medications: A systematic review.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2010; 36: 332-341
- Understanding how opioids contribute to reward and analgesia.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2007; 32: 242-246
- Drug craving and addiction: Integrating psychological and neuropsychopharmacological approaches.Progress Neuro-Psychopharm Bio Psychia. 2003; 27: 563-579
- Does “craving” carve nature at the joints? Absence of a synonym for craving in many languages.Addict Behav. 2010; 35: 459-463
- Substance misuse treatment for high-risk chronic pain patients on opioid therapy: A randomized trial.Pain. 2010; 150: 390-400
- Electronic diaries as a tool to improve pain management: Is there any evidence?.Pain Med. 2007; 8: S101-S109
- Perspectives of psychiatry.The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD1998
- Assessment of efficacy of long-term opioid therapy in pain patients with substance abuse potential.Clin J Pain. 2002; 18: S39-S51
- Addiction and dependence in dsm-v.Addiction. 2011; 106: 866-867
- Clinical and laboratory assessment of the subjective experience of drug craving.Clin Psychol Rev. 2009; 29: 519-534
- Addiction and pain: Assessment and treatment issues.Clin J Pain. 2002; 18: S28-S38
Savage S, Covington EC, Heit HA, Hunt J, Joranson D, Schnoll SH: Definitions related to the use of opioids for the treatment of pain: A consensus document from the American Academy Of Pain Medicine, the American Pain Society, and the American Society Of Addiction Medicine. Available at: http://www.ampainsoc.org/advocacy/opioids2.htm 2001
- The Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.): The development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for dsm-iv and icd-10.J Clin Psychiatry. 1998; 59: 22-33
- Craving’s place in addiction theory: Contributions of the major models.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2010; 34: 606-623
- Psychiatric history and psychological adjustment as risk factors for aberrant drug-related behavior among patients with chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 307-315
- Does report of craving opioid medication predict aberrant drug behavior among chronic pain patients?.Clin J Pain. 2009; 25: 193-198
- The realtionship between cocaine craving, psychosocial treatment, and subsequent cocaine use.Am J Psych. 2003; 160: 1320-1325
- The addiction behaviors checklist: Validation of a new clinician-based measure of inappropriate opioid use in chronic pain.J Pain Sym Manage. 2006; 32: 342-352
- Subjective, psychomotor, and physiological effects profile of hydrocodone/acetaminophen and oxycodone/acetaminophen combination products.Pain Med. 2008; 9: 433-443
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.ACTA Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
Supported by the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) of the National Institutes of Health (K23 DA020682, Wasan, PI) and the Arthritis Foundation (Investigator Award; Wasan, PI). It was also funded in part by an investigator-initiated grant from Endo Pharmaceuticals, Chadds Ford, PA, and NIDA grant (R21 DA024298, Jamison, PI) as well as K24 DA019855 (Greenfield PI) and K24 DA022288 (Weiss PI) from NIDA.
All of the authors significantly contributed to the design, patient enrollment, data collection, data analysis, and manuscript preparation. The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.