Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Association of painful and painless diabetic polyneuropathy with different patterns of nerve fiber degeneration and regeneration.Diabetes. 1990; 39: 898-908
- Cytoskeleton, axonal transport, and mechanisms of axonal neuropathy.in: Nixon R.A. Yuan A. Cytoskeleton of the Nervous System. Springer, New York2011: 657-678
- Nerve growth factor mediates mechanical allodynia in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes.J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2009; 68: 1229-1243
- Nerve growth factor/p38 signaling increases intraepidermal nerve fiber densities in painful neuropathy of type 2 diabetes.Neurobiol Dis. 2012; 45: 280-287
- Restorative effects of neurotrophin treatment on diabetes-induced cutaneous axon loss in mice.Exp Neurol. 2003; 179: 188-199
- Denervation of skin in neuropathies: The sequence of axonal and Schwann cell changes in skin biopsies.Brain. 2007; 130: 2703-2714
- Expression of growth-associated protein 43 and nerve growth factor receptor in human skin: A comparative immunohistochemical investigation.J Invest Dermatol. 1992; 99: 734-742
- The utility of skin biopsy for prediction of progression in suspected small fiber neuropathy.Neurology. 2006; 66: 256-258
- Epidermal nerve fiber density, axonal swellings and QST as predictors of HIV distal sensory neuropathy.Muscle Nerve. 2004; 29: 420-427
- Intraepidermal nerve fiber density in patients with painful sensory neuropathy.Neurology. 1997; 48: 708-711
- A skin blister method to study epidermal nerves in peripheral nerve disease.Muscle Nerve. 1999; 22: 360-371
- Skin biopsy for the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy.Histopathology. 2009; 54: 273-285
- Axonal swellings predict the degeneration of epidermal nerve fibers in painful neuropathies.Neurology. 2003; 61: 631-636
- Epidermal nerve fiber density: Normative reference range and diagnostic efficiency.Arch Neurol. 1998; 55: 1513-1520
- Skin biopsy as a tool to assess distal small fiber innervation in diabetic neuropathy.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2001; 3: 23-28
- Progressive centripetal degeneration of axons in small fibre diabetic polyneuropathy.Brain. 1983; 106: 791-807
- Skin denervation in type 2 diabetes: Correlations with diabetic duration and functional impairments.Brain. 2004; 127: 1593-1605
- The Utah Early Neuropathy Scale: A sensitive clinical scale for early sensory predominant neuropathy.J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2008; 13: 218-227
- The level of small nerve fiber dysfunction does not predict pain in diabetic Neuropathy: A study using quantitative sensory testing.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 261-265
- The relationship among pain, sensory loss, and small nerve fibers in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 883-887
- Painful diabetic neuropathy: Epidemiology, natural history, early diagnosis, and treatment options.Pain Med. 2008; 9: 660-674
- Diabetic neuropathy and nerve regeneration.Prog Neurobiol. 2003; 69: 229-285
This study is supported by National Institutes of Health (UO1-DK60994 [E.L.F.]; 1K08NS061039 [H.T.C.]; R01DK064814 [A.G.S., J.R.S.]; M01RR0064 [A.G.S., J.R.S.]), the American Diabetes Association (ADA08CR52 [A.G.S., J.R.S.]), and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Center for the Study of Complications in Diabetes.
This work utilized the Morphology and Image Analysis Core of the Michigan Diabetes Research and Training Center funded by NIH (5P60 DK20572) from the National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases.
The authors have no conflicts of interest, financial or otherwise, related to this study.