Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The management of cancer-related breakthrough pain: Recommendations of a task group of the Science Committee of the Association for Palliative Medicine of Great Britain and Ireland.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 331-338
- Consistency of efficacy, patients acceptability, and nasal tolerability of fentanyl pectin nasal spray compared with immediate-release morphine sulphate in breakthrough cancer pain.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011; 41: 358-366
- Breakthrough cancer pain: an observational study of 1000 European oncology patients.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2013; 46: 619-628
- Intranasal fentanyl spray: A novel dosage form for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain.Ann Pharmacother. 2012; 46: 1382-1391
- Efficacy and safety of fentanyl pectin nasal spray compared with immediate-release morphine sulphate tablets in the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain: A multicenter, randomized, controlled, double-blind, double-dummy multiple-crossover study.J Support Oncol. 2011; 9: 224-231
- Pharmacokinetics and relative bioavailability of fentanyl pectin nasal spray 100–800 μg in healthy volunteers.Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 48: 860-867
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of intranasal versus intravenous fentanyl in patients with pain after oral surgery.Ann Pharmacother. 2008; 42: 1380-1387
- Intranasal drug delivery: An efficient and non-invasive route for systemic administration: Focus on opioids.Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 134: 366-379
- Efficacy and tolerability of intranasal fentanyl spray 50 to 100 μg for breakthrough pain in patients with cancer: A phase III, multinational, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial with a 10-month, open-label extension treatment period.Clin Ther. 2009; 31: 1177-1191
- Treatment of breakthrough cancer pain: To titrate or to proportionate?.Curr Med Res Opin. 2013; 29: 1523-1526
- Efficacy of rapid-onset oral fentanyl formulations vs. oral morphine for cancer-related breakthrough pain: A meta-analysis of comparative trials.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2013; 46: 573-580
- Fentanyl pectin nasal spray: In breakthrough pain in opioid-tolerant adults with cancer.CNS Drugs. 2011; 25: 511-522
- Safety and effectiveness of intravenous morphine for episodic (breakthrough) pain using a fixed ratio with the oral daily morphine dose.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004; 27: 352-359
- Transmucosal fentanyl vs intravenous morphine in doses proportional to basal opioid regimen for episodic-breakthrough pain.Br J Cancer. 2007; 96: 1828-1833
- A comparison of intranasal fentanyl spray with oral transmucosal fentanyl citrate for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain: An open-label, randomized, crossover trial.Curr Med Res Opin. 2009; 25: 2805-2815
- Breakthrough pain: on the road again.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 329-330
- The use of opioids for breakthrough pain in acute palliative care unit by using doses proportional to opioid basal regimen.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 306-309
- Intravenous morphine for management of cancer pain.Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11: 484-489
- Fentanyl buccal tablets for breakthrough pain in highly tolerant cancer patients: Preliminary data on the proportionality between breakthrough pain dose and background dose.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011; 42: 464-469
- The use of rapid onset opioids for breakthrough cancer pain: The challenge of its dosing.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2011; 80: 460-465
- Pharmacotherapy for breakthrough cancer pain.Drugs. 2012; 72: 181-190
- Dosing fentanyl buccal tablet for breakthrough cancer pain: Dose titration versus proportional doses.Curr Med Res Opin. 2012; 28: 963-968
- The use of fentanyl buccal tablets for breakthrough pain by using doses proportional to opioid basal regimen in a home care setting.Support Care Cancer. 2013; 21: 2335-2339
- Meaningful cut-off pain intensity for breakthrough pain changes in advanced cancer patients.Curr Med Res Opin. 2013; 29: 93-97
- The use of sublingual fentanyl for breakthrough pain by using doses proportional to opioid basal regimen.Curr Med Res Opin. 2013; 29: 1527-1532
- Breakthrough pain: Definition, prevalence and characteristics.Pain. 1990; 41: 273-281
- A multicenter, placebo-controlled, double-blind, multiple-crossover study of fentanyl pectin nasal spray (FPNS) in the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain.Pain. 2010; 151: 617-624
- Fentanyl pectin nasal spray in breakthrough cancer pain.J Support Oncol. 2010; 8: 184-190
- PecSys: In situ gelling system for optimised nasal drug delivery.Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2009; 6: 543-552
- Opioids for cancer breakthrough pain: A pilot study reporting patient assessment of time to meaningful pain relief.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2008; 35: 563-567
No funding was received for this study.
Dr. Mercadante acts as advisor for TEVA, Molteni, Grunenthal, and Janssen. This study was not supported by any industry.
None of authors' spouses, partners, or children have financial relationships that may be relevant to the submitted work; and none of the other authors have any nonfinancial interests that may be relevant to the submitted work.