Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Is laughter the best medicine? A study of the effects of humor on perceived pain and affect.Act Adapt Aging. 1986; 8: 157-175
- Interactive effects of the affect quality and directional focus of mental imagery on pain analgesia.Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2001; 26: 117-126
- Positive affect and mood management in successful smoking cessation.Am J Health Behav. 2010; 34: 553-562
- Validating the SF-36 health survey questionnaire: New outcome measure for primary care.BMJ. 1992; 305: 160-164
- Two brief interventions for acute pain.Pain. 1993; 54: 29-36
- Pain coping and social support as predictors of long-term functional disability and pain in early rheumatoid arthritis.Behav Res Ther. 2003; 41: 1295-1310
- The law of attrition.J Med Internet Res. 2005; 7: e11
- Elderly patients with hip fracture with positive affect have better functional recovery over 2 years.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 1074-1081
- The SF36 Health Survey Questionnaire: An outcome measure suitable for routine use within the NHS?.BMJ. 1993; 306: 1440-1444
- Comorbidity of chronic pain and mental health disorders: The biopsychosocial perspective.Am Psychol. 2004; 59: 795-805
- The biopsychosocial approach to chronic pain: Scientific advances and future directions.Psychol Bull. 2007; 133: 581-624
- Social support and pain behavior.Pain. 1987; 29: 209-217
- Why are health care interventions delivered over the internet? A systematic review of the published literature.J Med Internet Res. 2006; 8: e10
- Dealing with missing outcome data in randomized trials and observational studies.Am J Epidemiol. 2012; 175: 210-217
- Optimism lowers pain: Evidence of the causal status and underlying mechanisms.Pain. 2013; 154: 53-58
- Longitudinal Data Analysis.John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ2006
- Development of a positive psychology intervention for patients with acute cardiovascular disease.Heart Int. 2011; 6: 47-54
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Behavioral activation interventions for well-being: A meta-analysis.J Posit Psychol. 2010; 5: 105-121
- The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): II. Psychometric and clinical tests of validity in measuring physical and mental health constructs.Med Care. 1993; 31: 247-263
- Advancing a national agenda to eliminate disparities in pain care: Directions for health policy, education, practice, and research.Pain Med. 2012; 13: 5-28
- Positive living: A pilot study of group positive psychotherapy for people with schizophrenia.J Pos Psychol. 2012; 7: 239-248
- A positive affect intervention for people experiencing health-related stress: Development and non-randomized pilot test.J Health Psychol. 2012; 17: 676-692
- Pursuing happiness in everyday life: The characteristics and behaviors of online happiness seekers.Emotion. 2012; 12: 1222-1234
- Assessing the efficacy and effectiveness of a positive psychology-based self-help book.Terapia Psicologica. 2013; 31: 141-149
- Does positive affect influence health?.Psychol Bull. 2005; 131: 925-971
- Disseminating self-help: Positive psychology exercises in an online trial.J Med Internet Res. 2012; 14: e63
- Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment.Free Press, New York, NY2002
- Positive psychology: An introduction.Am Psychol. 2000; 55: 5-14
- Positive psychotherapy.Am Psychol. 2006; 61: 774-788
- Positive psychology progress: Empirical validation of interventions.Am Psychol. 2005; 60: 410-421
- Enhancing well-being and alleviating depressive symptoms with positive psychology interventions: A practice-friendly meta-analysis.J Clin Psychol. 2009; 65: 467-487
- Psychosocial factors and the pain experience of osteoarthritis patients: New findings and new directions.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2009; 21: 501-506
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 12.StataCorp LP, College Station, TX2011
- SF-36 Health Survey: Manual and Interpretation Guide.The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, Boston, MA1993
- The effects of induced mood on laboratory pain.Pain. 1991; 46: 105-111
This study used data collected by Acacia Parks, Martin Seligman, and Stephen Schueller with support from the Positive Psychology Center at the University of Pennsylvania.
L.R.M.H.'s effort on the project was supported by the Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Career Development Program (RCD 06-287).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to report.
The views expressed here are those of the authors and do not represent those of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the United States Government.