- •Peripheral CXCL1/CXCR2 contributes to control nociceptive sensitization after incision.
- •Chronic opioid pretreatment epigenetically activated CXCL1 gene expression after incision via histone acetylation.
- •Epigenetic regulation of CXCL1 expression explains in part opioid-enhanced incisional allodynia in mice.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Opioid-induced hyperalgesia: A qualitative systematic review.Anesthesiology. 2006; 104: 570-587
- Upregulation of nerve growth factor in central amygdala increases sensitivity to opioid reward.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2012; 37: 2780-2788
- Pronociceptive effects of remifentanil in a mouse model of postsurgical pain: Effect of a second surgery.Anesthesiology. 2009; 111: 1334-1345
- Neutrophils recruited by CXCR1/2 signalling mediate post-incisional pain.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 654-663
- Management of perioperative pain in patients chronically consuming opioids.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2004; 29: 576-591
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Postoperative pain trajectories in chronic pain patients undergoing surgery: The effects of chronic opioid pharmacotherapy on acute pain.J Pain. 2011; 12: 1240-1246
- Morphine withdrawal produces ERK-dependent and ERK-independent epigenetic marks in neurons of the nucleus accumbens and lateral septum.Neuropharmacology. 2013; 70: 168-179
- Blockade of the complement C5a receptor reduces incisional allodynia, edema, and cytokine expression.Anesthesiology. 2006; 104: 1274-1282
- Morphine reduces local cytokine expression and neutrophil infiltration after incision.Mol Pain. 2007; 3: 28
- A cascade of cytokines mediates mechanical inflammatory hypernociception in mice.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 1755-1760
- A comparison of postoperative epidural analgesia between patients with chronic cancer taking high doses of oral opioids versus opioid-naive patients.Anesth Analg. 1993; 76: 302-307
- Induction of synaptic long-term potentiation after opioid withdrawal.Science. 2009; 325: 207-210
- Toll-like receptor 2/MyD88 signaling mediates zymosan-induced joint hypernociception in mice: Participation of TNF-alpha, IL-1beta and CXCL1/KC.Eur J Pharmacol. 2012; 674: 51-57
- A new and sensitive method for measuring thermal nociception in cutaneous hyperalgesia.Pain. 1988; 32: 77-88
- CXCR2: A target for pancreatic cancer treatment?.Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2013; 17: 667-680
- Systemic morphine treatment induces changes in firing patterns and responses of nociceptive afferent fibers in mouse glabrous skin.Pain. 2013; 154: 2297-2309
- SCH527123, a novel CXCR2 antagonist, inhibits ozone-induced neutrophilia in healthy subjects.Eur Respir J. 2010; 35: 564-570
- Epigenetic augmentation of the macrophage inflammatory protein 2/C-X-C chemokine receptor type 2 axis through histone H3 acetylation in injured peripheral nerves elicits neuropathic pain.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012; 340: 577-587
- SB-656933, a novel CXCR2 selective antagonist, inhibits ex vivo neutrophil activation and ozone-induced airway inflammation in humans.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 72: 282-293
- Opioid-induced hyperalgesia and incisional pain.Anesth Analg. 2001; 93: 204-209
- Chronic morphine administration enhances nociceptive sensitivity and local cytokine production after incision.Mol Pain. 2008; 4: 7
- Epigenetic regulation of opioid-induced hyperalgesia, dependence, and tolerance in mice.J Pain. 2013; 14: 36-47
- The complement component C5a receptor mediates pain and inflammation in a postsurgical pain model.Pain. 2012; 153: 366-372
- Genetic variants of the P-glycoprotein gene Abcb1b modulate opioid-induced hyperalgesia, tolerance and dependence.Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2006; 16: 825-835
- The role of keratinocyte-derived chemokine (KC) on hyperalgesia caused by peripheral nerve injury in mice.Neuropharmacology. 2014; 79: 17-27
- The effects of the selective and non-peptide CXCR2 receptor antagonist SB225002 on acute and long-lasting models of nociception in mice.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 23-31
- Mechanisms of hyperalgesia and morphine tolerance: A current view of their possible interactions.Pain. 1995; 62: 259-274
- Cytokine and chemokine regulation of sensory neuron function.Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2009; : 417-449
- Pain genetics: Past, present and future.Trends Genet. 2012; 28: 258-266
- Safety and efficacy of a CXCR2 antagonist in patients with severe asthma and sputum neutrophils: A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial.Clin Exp Allergy. 2012; 42: 1097-1103
- Comparison of opioid requirements and analgesic response in opioid-tolerant versus opioid-naive patients after total knee arthroplasty.Pharmacotherapy. 2008; 28: 1453-1460
- The analgesic potency of dexmedetomidine is enhanced after nerve injury: A possible role for peripheral alpha2-adrenoceptors.Anesth Analg. 1998; 87: 941-948
- Acute pain management in patients with prior opioid consumption: A case-controlled retrospective review.Pain. 1995; 61: 195-201
- CXCR2—the receptor to hit?.Drug News Perspect. 2006; 19: 615-623
- Roles of Gr-1+ leukocytes in postincisional nociceptive sensitization and inflammation.Anesthesiology. 2012; 117: 602-612
- Preprotachykinin-A gene disruption attenuates nociceptive sensitivity after opioid administration and incision by peripheral and spinal mechanisms in mice.J Pain. 2012; 13: 997-1007
- miR-203 regulates nociceptive sensitization after incision by controlling phospholipase A2 activating protein expression.Anesthesiology. 2012; 117: 626-638
- Epigenetic regulation of spinal CXCR2 signaling in incisional hypersensitivity in mice.Anesthesiology. 2013; 119: 1198-1208
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime: World Drug Report 2013. United Nations publication, New York2013
- The chemokine CXCL1/growth related oncogene increases sodium currents and neuronal excitability in small diameter sensory neurons.Mol Pain. 2008; 4: 38
- Extinction of aversive memories associated with morphine withdrawal requires ERK-mediated epigenetic regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor transcription in the rat ventromedial prefrontal cortex.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 13763-13775
- Chemokine contribution to neuropathic pain: Respective induction of CXCL1 and CXCR2 in spinal cord astrocytes and neurons.Pain. 2013; 154: 2185-2197
The work was supported by National Institutes of Health award GM079126 (Bethesda, MD) and VA Merit Review award 5I01BX000881 (Washington, DC).
The authors declare no conflict of interests.