- •Neuropathic pain resulted in loss dopamine and rise in norepinephrine content in the ventral striatum.
- •Pain thresholds no longer correlated with ventral striatal dopamine content in neuropathic pain.
- •Ventral striatal norepinephrine content correlated with pain thresholds only in neuropathic pain.
- •These results point to a dramatic change in striatal catecholamine signaling in neuropathic pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Dopamine release and metabolism in the rat striatum: An analysis by “in vivo” brain microdialysis.Pharmacol Ther. 1990; 48: 281-293
- An integrative theory of locus coeruleus-norepinephrine function: Adaptive gain and optimal performance.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2005; 28: 403-450
- The locus coeruleus-noradrenergic system: Modulation of behavioral state and state-dependent cognitive processes.Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 2003; 42: 33-84
- What is the role of dopamine in reward: Hedonic impact, reward learning, or incentive salience?.Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 1998; 28: 309-369
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Burning mouth in Parkinson's disease sufferers.Gerodontology. 1998; 15: 73-78
- Opponent interactions between serotonin and dopamine.Neural Netw. 2002; 15: 603-616
- Serotonin, inhibition, and negative mood.PLoS Comput Biol. 2008; 4: e4
- 5-HT and mechanisms of defence.J Psychopharmacol. 1991; 5: 305-315
- Dopamine receptor blockade in nucleus accumbens or caudate nucleus differentially affects feeding induced by 8-OH-DPAT injected into dorsal or median raphe.Brain Res. 1991; 552: 181-189
- Injection of 5-HT into the nucleus accumbens reduces the effects of d-amphetamine on responding for conditioned reward.Psychopharmacology. 1996; 126: 62-69
- Pain in Parkinson's disease.Clin Neurosci. 1998; 5: 63-72
- Levodopa raises objective pain threshold in Parkinson's disease: A RIII reflex study.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2007; 78: 1140-1142
- Pain in Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 1986; 1: 45-49
- Altered dopamine D2 receptor binding in atypical facial pain.Pain. 2003; 106: 43-48
- Striatal dopamine D1 and D2 receptors in burning mouth syndrome.Pain. 2003; 101: 149-154
- Striatal dopamine D2 receptors in modulation of pain in humans: A review.Eur J Pharmacol. 2004; 500: 187-192
- Role of the dopaminergic system in chronic pain—A fluorodopa-PET study.Pain. 2001; 90: 257-260
- Serotonin-dopamine interaction and its relevance to schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1996; 153: 466-476
- Fixed-diameter polyethylene cuffs applied to the rat sciatic nerve induce a painful neuropathy: Ultrastructural morphometric analysis of axonal alterations.Pain. 1996; 64: 37-57
- Reserpine causes biphasic nociceptive sensitivity alteration in conjunction with brain biogenic amine tones in rats.Neuroscience. 2010; 169: 1860-1871
- Suppression of the morphine-induced rewarding effect in the rat with neuropathic pain: Implication of the reduction in mu-opioid receptor functions in the ventral tegmental area.J Neurochem. 2002; 82: 1192-1198
- Augmentation of nociceptive reflexes and chronic deafferentation pain by chemical lesions of either dopaminergic terminals or midbrain dopaminergic neurons.Brain Res. 1997; 751: 1-12
- Pain and sensory symptoms in Parkinson's disease.Int J Neurosci. 1988; 39: 15-25
- Double-blind, randomized trial of bupropion SR for the treatment of neuropathic pain.Neurology. 2001; 57: 1583-1588
- Opioids and neuropathic pain.Pain Physician. 2012; 15: ES93-ES110
- Primary sensory symptoms in parkinsonism.Neurology. 1976; 26: 423-429
- Lesion and electrical stimulation of the ventral tegmental area modify persistent nociceptive behavior in the rat.Brain Res. 2001; 898: 342-349
- Stimulation of dopamine D2 receptors in the nucleus accumbens inhibits inflammatory pain.Brain Res. 2003; 987: 135-143
- Accumbal dopamine and serotonin activity throughout acquisition and expression of place conditioning: Correlative relationships with preference and aversion.Eur J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 1015-1026
- Nonmotor fluctuations in Parkinson's disease: Frequent and disabling.Neurology. 2002; 59: 408-413
- Reduced presynaptic dopamine activity in fibromyalgia syndrome demonstrated with positron emission tomography: A pilot study.J Pain. 2007; 8: 51-58
- Fibromyalgia patients show an abnormal dopamine response to pain.Eur J Neurosci. 2007; 25: 3576-3582
This study was supported by the National Institutes of Health (DA005010) (C.J.E.), Canadian Institutes of Health Research (MOP 123298) (C.M.C. and A.M.W.T.), and the Shirley and Stefan Hatos Foundation (C.J.E., N.P.M., and A.M.W.T.).
The authors declare no conflict of interest.