- •Test-retest reliability of pain-related activity has not been extensively explored.
- •This study found generally “good” reliability for pain-related brain activity.
- •Self-reported pain, however, showed “excellent” test-retest reliability.
- •Findings suggest sufficient reliability of fMRI for valuable use in research.
- •However, self-report was more reliable than brain activity in this study.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pain and the brain: Specificity and plasticity of the brain in clinical chronic pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S49-S64
- Long-term test–retest reliability of functional MRI in a classification learning task.Neuroimage. 2006; 29: 1000-1006
- How reliable are the results from functional magnetic resonance imaging?.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010; 1191: 133-155
- Reliability of the visual analog scale for measurement of acute pain.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8: 1153-1157
- Biomarkers for chronic pain and analgesia. Part 1: The need, reality, challenges, and solutions.Discov Med. 2011; 11: 197-207
- Biomarkers for chronic pain and analgesia. Part 2: How, where, and what to look for using functional imaging.Discov Med. 2011; 11: 209-219
- Test-retest reliability of fMRI brain activity during memory encoding.Front Psychiatry. 2013; 4: 163
- fMRI of thermal pain: Effects of stimulus laterality and attention.Neuroimage. 2002; 15: 293-301
- Measuring fMRI reliability with the intra-class correlation coefficient.Neuroimage. 2009; 45: 758-768
- Developing criteria for establishing interrater reliability of specific items: Applications to assessment of adaptive behavior.Am J Ment Defic. 1981; 86: 127-137
- Neural correlates of interindividual differences in the subjective experience of pain.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 8538-8542
- Neuroimaging of pain: What does it tell us?.Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2011; 5: 116-121
- Localization of pain-related brain activation: A meta-analysis of neuroimaging data.Hum Brain Mapp. 2013; 34: 109-149
- Reliability of fMRI for studies of language in post-stroke aphasia subjects.Neuroimage. 2008; 41: 311-322
- Reliability and validity of a visual analog scale for acute abdominal pain in the ED.Am J Emerg Med. 2002; 20: 287-290
- Test-retest reliability of the Short-Form McGill Pain Questionnaire: Assessment of intraclass correlation coefficients and limits of agreement in patients with osteoarthritis.Clin J Pain. 2005; 21: 73-82
- Low back pain: Reliability of a set of pain measurement tools.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 735-742
- Test-retest reliability of pressure pain threshold measurements of the upper limb and torso in young healthy women.J Pain. 2007; 8: 650-656
- The validity and reliability of pain measures in adults with cancer.J Pain. 2003; 4: 2-21
- Central neuroimaging of pain.J Pain. 2013; 14: 328
- An automated method for neuroanatomic and cytoarchitectonic atlas-based interrogation of fMRI data sets.Neuroimage. 2003; 19: 1233-1239
- Test–retest reproducibility of the default-mode network in healthy individuals.Hum Brain Mapp. 2011; 31: 237-246
- Giving narcotics for pain.Nursing. 1989; 19: 161-165
- Toward a neuroimaging treatment selection biomarker for major depressive disorder.JAMA Psychiatry. 2013; 12: 1-9
- Test–retest reliability of evoked BOLD signals from a cognitive–emotive fMRI test battery.Neuroimage. 2012; 60: 1746-1758
- The validation of visual analogue scales as ratio scale measures for chronic and experimental pain.Pain. 1983; 17: 45-60
- Characteristics of electronic visual analogue and numerical scales for ratings of experimental pain in healthy subjects and fibromyalgia patients.Pain. 2008; 140: 158-166
- Pain measurement and brain activity: Will neuroimages replace pain ratings?.J Pain. 2013; 14: 323-327
- Within-subject reproducibility of visual activation patterns with functional magnetic resonance imaging using multislice echo planar imaging.Magn Reson Imaging. 1998; 16: 105-113
- Predictors of clinical pain intensity in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2005; 9: 316-321
- What does it mean to call chronic pain a brain disease?.J Pain. 2013; 14: 317-322
- An fMRI-based neurologic signature of physical pain.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1388-1397
- How neuroimaging can help us to visualise and quantify pain?.Eur J Pain Suppl. 2011; 5: 323-327
- Pain: A review of three commonly used pain rating scales.J Clin Nurs. 2005; 14: 798-804
This research was funded by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine through grants to M.E.R. ( R01AT001424-05A2 ) and J.E.L. ( F31AT007898-01A1 ).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to report.