- •Tibia fracture with 4 weeks cast immobilization induced CRPS-like changes in rats.
- •Four weeks of cast immobilization (with no fracture) induced CRPS-like changes.
- •Early mobilization after fracture inhibited development of CRPS-like changes.
- •Early limb mobilization after fracture may prevent the development of CRPS in humans.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of complex regional pain syndrome: A retrospective chart review of 134 patients.Pain. 1999; 80: 539-544
- The first scintigraphic detection of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in patients with complex regional pain syndrome type 1.Anesth Analg. 2010; 110: 211-215
- The causalgia-dystonia syndrome.Brain. 1993; 116: 843-851
- Activation of cutaneous immune responses in complex regional pain syndrome.J Pain. 2014; 15: 485-495
- The important role of neuropeptides in complex regional pain syndrome.Neurology. 2001; 57: 2179-2184
- Role of neuropeptides in pathogenesis of reflex sympathetic dystrophy.Acta Orthop Belg. 1998; 64: 448-451
- A novel hindlimb immobilization procedure for studying skeletal muscle atrophy and recovery in mouse.J Appl Physiol. 2009; 106: 2049-2059
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Analgesic effects of p38 kinase inhibitor treatment on bone fracture healing.Pain. 2009; 142: 116-126
- The role of interleukin-6 in nociception and pain.Anesth Analg. 2003; 96: 1096-1103
- The incidence of complex regional pain syndrome: A population-based study.Pain. 2007; 129: 12-20
- A fracture pain model in the rat: Adaptation of a closed femur fracture model to study skeletal pain.Anesthesiology. 2008; 108: 473-483
- Pharmacological characterization of LY303870: A novel, potent and selective nonpeptide substance P (neurokinin 1) receptor antagonist.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995; 275: 737-744
- Substance P signaling contributes to the vascular and nociceptive abnormalities observed in a tibial fracture rat model of complex regional pain syndrome type I.Pain. 2004; 108: 95-107
- Glucocorticoid inhibition of vascular abnormalities in a tibia fracture rat model of complex regional pain syndrome type I.Pain. 2006; 121: 158-167
- Neuropeptide deficient mice have attenuated nociceptive, vascular, and inflammatory changes in a tibia fracture model of complex regional pain syndrome.Mol Pain. 2012; 8: 85
- Multiplex bead array assay for detection of 25 soluble cytokines in blister fluid of patients with complex regional pain syndrome type 1.Mediators Inflamm. 2006; 2006: 28398
- 3-Aryl-1,2,-diacetamidopropane derivatives as novel and potent NK-1 receptor antagonists.J Med Chem. 1996; 39: 736-748
- Evidence for local inflammation in complex regional pain syndrome type 1.Mediators Inflamm. 2002; 11: 47-51
- Mast cells are involved in inflammatory reactions during complex regional pain syndrome type 1.Immunol Lett. 2004; 91: 147-154
- LY303870, a centrally active neurokinin-1 antagonist with a long duration of action.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1997; 280: 774-785
- Acute p38-mediated modulation of tetrodotoxin-resistant sodium channels in mouse sensory neurons by tumor necrosis factor-alpha.J Neurosci. 2006; 26: 246-255
- TNF-alpha in CRPS and “normal” trauma—Significant differences between tissue and serum.Pain. 2011; 152: 285-290
- Substance-P-induced protein extravasation is bilaterally increased in complex regional pain syndrome.Exp Neurol. 2003; 183: 197-204
- Epidermal adrenergic signaling contributes to inflammation and pain sensitization in a rat model of complex regional pain syndrome.Pain. 2013; 154: 1224-1236
- Fracture induces keratinocyte activation, proliferation, and expression of pro-nociceptive inflammatory mediators.Pain. 2010; 151: 843-852
- The role of enhanced cutaneous IL-1beta signaling in a rat tibia fracture model of complex regional pain syndrome.Pain. 2009; 144: 303-313
- Laminar distribution and somatotopic organization of primary afferent fibers from hindlimb nerves in the dorsal horn. A study by transganglionic transport of horseradish peroxidase in the rat.Neuroscience. 1986; 19: 297-312
- Pain and reduced mobility in complex regional pain syndrome I: Outcome of a prospective randomised controlled clinical trial of adjuvant physical therapy versus occupational therapy.Pain. 1999; 83: 77-83
- Adjuvant physical therapy versus occupational therapy in patients with reflex sympathetic dystrophy/complex regional pain syndrome type I.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 49-56
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy of the hand: An excessive inflammatory response?.Pain. 1993; 55: 151-157
- Neurotrophins: Mediators and modulators of pain.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2006; 29: 507-538
- The cytoarchitectonic organization of the spinal cord in the cat.J Comp Neurol. 1952; 96: 414-495
- TNF signaling contributes to the development of nociceptive sensitization in a tibia fracture model of complex regional pain syndrome type I.Pain. 2008; 137: 507-519
- Effect of anti-NGF antibodies in a rat tibia fracture model of complex regional pain syndrome type I.Pain. 2008; 138: 47-60
- Complex regional pain syndrome type I: Incidence and prevalence in Olmsted County, a population-based study.Pain. 2003; 103: 199-207
- Inflammatory mediators are altered in the acute phase of posttraumatic complex regional pain syndrome.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 235-239
- The movement disorder of reflex sympathetic dystrophy.Neurology. 1990; 40: 57-61
- Keratinocytes express cytokines and nerve growth factor in response to neuropeptide activation of the ERK1/2 and JNK MAPK transcription pathways.Regul Pept. 2013; 186: 92-103
- External fixation compared to intramedullary nailing of tibial fractures in the rat.Acta Orthop. 2009; 80: 375-379
- Induction of nociceptive responses by intrathecal injection of interleukin-1 in mice.Life Sci. 1999; 65: 255-261
- Experimental forearm immobilization in humans induces cold and mechanical hyperalgesia.Anesthesiology. 2008; 109: 297-307
- Glial activation: A driving force for pathological pain.Trends Neurosci. 2001; 24: 450-455
- Facilitated neurogenic inflammation in complex regional pain syndrome.Pain. 2001; 91: 251-257
- Keratinocyte expression of inflammatory mediators plays a crucial role in substance P-induced acute and chronic pain.J Neuroinflamm. 2012; 9: 181
- Post-junctional facilitation of substance P signaling in a tibia fracture rat model of complex regional pain syndrome type I.Pain. 2009; 144: 278-286
- Pentoxifylline attenuates nociceptive sensitization and cytokine expression in a tibia fracture rat model of complex regional pain syndrome.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 253-262
- Acute effects of substance P and calcitonin gene-related peptide in human skin—A microdialysis study.J Invest Dermatol. 2000; 115: 1015-1020
This study was funded by National Institutes of Health grant NS072168, Department of Veterans Affairs Rehabilitation Research and Development Merit grant F7137R.
The authors do not have any financial or other relationships that might lead to conflicts of interest.