- •Contingency learning is impaired in chronic hand pain patients.
- •Particularly, the formation of safety beliefs, but not threat beliefs, is disrupted.
- •In patients, threat beliefs spread to a wider range of novel but similar stimuli.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Development of the QuickDASH: Comparison of three item-reduction approaches.J Bone Joint Surg. 2005; 87A: 1038-1046
- Rating data are underrated: Validity of US expectancy in human fear conditioning.J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 2013; 44: 201-206
- Expectancy bias in a selective conditioning procedure: trait anxiety increases the threat value of a blocked stimulus.J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 2012; 43: 832-837
- The effects of graded motor imagery and its components on chronic pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2013; 14: 3-13
- Fear and Learning. From Basic Processes to Clinical Applications.American Psychological Association, Washington, DC2006
- An expectancy model of laboratory preparedness effects.J Exp Psychol Gen. 1992; 121: 24-40
- A review of recent developments in research and theories on human contingency learning.Q J Exp Psychol B. 2002; 55: 289-310
- Mapping motor representations with positron emission tomography.Nature. 1994; 371: 600-602
- Contemporary Animal Learning Theory.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge1980
- Pain demands attention: A cognitive-affective model of the interruptive function of pain.Psychol Bull. 1999; 125: 356-366
- Deficient safety learning characterizes high trait anxious individuals.Biol Psychol. 2013; 92: 342-352
- Partially overlapping neural networks for real and imagined hand movements.Cereb Cortex. 2000; 10: 1093-1104
- Associative learning deficits increase symptoms of anxiety in humans.Biol Psychiatry. 2002; 51: 851-858
- Safety signals and human anxiety: A fear-potentiated startle study.Anxiety. 1994; 1: 13-21
- Trait anxiety and fear responses to safety cues: Stimulus generalization or sensitization?.J Psychopathol Behav Assess. 2012; 34: 323-331
- Fear-learning deficits in subjects with fibromyalgia syndrome?.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 1374-1384
- Impaired safety signal learning may be a biomarker of PTSD.Neuropharmacology. 2012; 62: 695-704
- Dysynchiria is not a common feature of neuropathic pain.Eur J Pain. 2008; 12: 128-131
- Generalization of conditioned responding: Effects of autobiographical memory specificity.J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 2012; 43: S60-S66
- Overgeneralization of conditioned fear in the anxiety disorders.J Psychol. 2010; 218: 146-148
- Classical fear conditioning in the anxiety disorders: A meta-analysis.Behav Res Ther. 2005; 43: 1391-1424
- Overgeneralization of conditioned fear as a pathogenic marker of panic disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167: 47-55
- Impaired discriminative fear-conditioning resulting from elevated fear responding to learned safety cues among individuals with panic disorder.Behav Res Ther. 2009; 47: 111-118
- Fear and avoidance: An integrated expectancy model.in: Craske M.G. Hermans D. Vansteenwegen D. Fear and Learning: Basic Science to Clinical Application. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC2006
- The role of awareness in Pavlovian conditioning: Empirical evidence and theoretical implications.J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process. 2002; 28: 3-26
- Development of the Fear of Pain Questionnaire–III.J Behav Med. 1998; 21: 389-410
- Women, but not men, report increasingly more pain during repeated (un)predictable painful electrocutaneous stimulation: Evidence for mediation by fear of pain.Pain. 2012; 153: 1030-1041
- A contemporary learning theory perspective on the etiology of anxiety disorders: It's not what you thought it was.Am Psychol. 2006; 61: 10-26
- The Graded Motor Imagery Handbook.NOIgroup publishing, Adelaide2012
- Graded motor imagery is effective for long-standing complex regional pain syndrome: A randomised controlled trial.Pain. 2004; 108: 192-198
- Why do people with complex regional pain syndrome take longer to recognize their affected hand?.Neurology. 2004; 62: 2182-2186
- Graded motor imagery for pathologic pain—A randomized controlled trial.Neurology. 2006; 67: 2129-2134
- Imagined spatial transformations of one's hands and feet.Cogn Psychol. 1987; 19: 178-241
- Use of implicit motor imagery for visual shape discrimination as revealed by PET.Nature. 1995; 375: 54-58
- A theory of Pavlovian conditioning: Variations in the effectiveness of reinforcement and nonreinforcement.in: Black A.H. Prokasy W.F. Classical Conditioning II: Current Research and Theory. Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York1972: 64-99
- Fear and anxiety: Divergent effects on human pain thresholds.Pain. 2000; 84: 65-75
- Associative accounts of causality judgment.in: Bower G.H. The Psychology of Learning and Motivation. Academic Press, San Diego, CA1987: 229-261
- Affect 4.0: A free software package for implementing psychological and psychophysiological experiments.Exp Psychol. 2010; 57: 36
- Functional anatomy of the mental representation of upper extremity movements in healthy subjects.J Neurophysiol. 1995; 73: 373-386
- The pain catastrophizing scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Contextual fear induced by unpredictability in a human fear conditioning preparation is related to the chronic expectation of a threatening US.Biol Psychol. 2008; 77: 39-46
- Graded motor imagery and the impact on pain processing in a case of CRPS.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 276-279
A.M. is a postdoctoral researcher of the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO-Vlaanderen), Belgium (12E33714N). The study was also supported by the Odysseus Grant “The Psychology of Pain and Disability Research Program” funded by the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO-Vlaanderen), Belgium, to J.W.S.V. (G090208N) and by an EFIC-Grünenthal Research Grant to A.M. G.L.M. is supported by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia (ID 1061279). This work was also supported by National Health and Medical Research Council grant (ID 1047317).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The data in this study were presented at the symposium on “Recent Developments in Understanding and Treating Chronic Pain: From Fundamental Research to Novel Targets for Treatment” at the 43rd European Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies (EABCT), Marrakech, Morocco, September 2013, and at PainAdelaide, Adelaide, Australia, March 2014.