- •Healthy volunteers made choices between incompatible pain-related alternatives.
- •Alternatives differed in their (un)desirable effect on pain and money probability.
- •Choice latency and switching related positively to conflict and decision difficulty.
- •Choice switching related to threat/fear and affect in avoidance-avoidance conflicts.
- •Associations between choice behavior, pain, and affect depend on conflict situation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The neural basis of choice and decision making.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 8159-8160
- Measuring emotion: The self-assessment manikin and the semantic differential.J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 1994; 25: 49-59
- A short goal-pursuit intervention to improve physical capacity: A randomized clinical trial in chronic back pain patients.Pain. 2010; 149: 444-452
- When somatic information threatens, catastrophic thinking enhances attentional interference.Pain. 1998; 75: 187-198
- Is it better to have controlled and lost than never to have controlled at all? An experimental investigation of control over pain.Pain. 2008; 137: 631-639
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic pain: The next generation.Clin J Pain. 2012; 28: 475-483
- Decision making under conflict: Decision time as a measure of conflict strength.Psychon Bull Rev. 2003; 10: 167-176
- The Psychology of Ultimate Concerns.Guilford Press, New York1999
- Conflict among personal strivings: Immediate and long-term implications for psychological and physical well-being.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1988; 54: 1040-1048
- A motivation-decision model of pain: The role of opioids.in: Flor H. Kalso E. Dostrovsky J.O. Proceedings of the 11th World Congress on Pain. IASP Press, Seattle2006: 449-459
- Error-related negativity predicts reinforcement learning and conflict biases.Neuron. 2005; 47: 495-501
- Pain increases motivational drive to obtain reward, but does not affect associated hedonic responses: A behavioural study in healthy volunteers.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 1093-1103
- Self-discrepancies in work-related upper extremity pain: Relation to emotions and flexible-goal adjustment.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 764-770
- Goal conflict, distress, and pain in women with fibromyalgia: A daily diary study.J Psychosom Res. 2011; 70: 534-540
- Feature matching, unique features, and the dynamics of the choice process: Predecision conflict and postdecision satisfaction.J Exp Soc Psychol. 1991; 27: 411-430
- The disabling role of fluctuations in physical activity in patients with chronic low back pain.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 1076-1079
- The impact of goal cognition and pain severity on disability and depression in adults with chronic pain: An examination of direct effects and mediated effects via pain-induced fear.Cogn Ther Res. 2008; 32: 418-433
- The role of current mood and stop rules on physical task performance: An experimental investigation in patients with work-related upper extremity pain.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 434-440
- Goals matter: Both achievement and pain-avoidance goals are associated with pain severity and disability in patients with low back and upper extremity pain.Pain. 2011; 152: 1382-1390
- A content analysis of ideal, ought, and feared selves in patients with chronic low back pain.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 648-653
- Behavioural treatment and bio-behavioural assessment: Computer applications.in: Sidowski J.B. Johnson J.H. Williams T.A. Technology in Mental Health Care Delivery Systems. Ablex, Norwood1980: 119-137
- A common neurobiology for pain and pleasure.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2008; 9: 314-320
- Decision making as coping.Health Psychol. 2005; 24: S23-S28
- Choice processing in emotionally difficult decisions.J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn. 1997; 23: 384-405
- The impact of emotional tradeoff difficulty in decision behavior.in: Weber E.U. Baron J. Loomes G. Conflict and Tradeoffs in Decision-Making. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge2001: 86-109
- The role of values in a contextual cognitive behavioral approach to chronic pain.Pain. 2006; 123: 137-145
- A two-dimensional neuropsychology of defense: Fear/anxiety and defensive distance.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2004; 28: 285-305
- Experimental studies of conflict.in: Hunt J.McV. Personality and the Behavior Disorders. Ronald Press, New York1944
- Will it hurt if I believe I can control it? Influence of actual and perceived control on perceived pain intensity in healthy male individuals: A randomized controlled study.J Behav Med. 2012; 35: 529-537
- Resolution of complex decisional conflicts as a function of degree of avoidance.J Res Pers. 1975; 9: 177-190
- Toward a mechanistic understanding of human decision making.Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 2008; 17: 119-123
- Weighting pain avoidance and reward seeking: A neuroeconomical approach to pain.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 4185-4186
- Nonpain goal pursuit inhibits attentional bias to pain.Pain. 2012; 153: 1180-1186
- Becoming active again? Further thoughts on goal pursuit in chronic pain.Pain. 2010; 149: 422-423
- Psychological interventions for chronic pain: Reviewed within the context of goal pursuit.Pain Manage. 2012; 2: 1-10
- Nonconscious processes and health.Health Psychol. 2013; 32: 460-473
- Affect 4.0: A free software package for implementing psychological and psychophysiological experiments.Exp Psychol. 2010; 57: 36-45
- Choosing the greater of two goods: Neural currencies for valuation and decision making.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2005; 6: 363-375
- How humans integrate the prospects of pain and reward during choice.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 14617-14626
- How costs influence decision values for mixed outcomes.Front Neurosci. 2012; 6: 1-21
- Will it hurt less if I can control it? A complex answer to a simple question.Psychol Bull. 1981; 90: 89-101
- Choice under conflict: The dynamics of deferred decision.Psychol Sci. 1992; 3: 358-361
- Keeping pain in mind: A motivational account of attention to pain.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2010; 34: 204-213
- No pain no gain? Pursuing a competing goal inhibits avoidance behavior.Pain. 2012; 153: 800-804
- Does the brain calculate value?.Trends Cogn Sci. 2011; 15: 546-554
- The price of pain and the value of suffering.Psychol Sci. 2009; 20: 309-317
- The fear-avoidance model of pain: We are not there yet. Comment on Wideman et al. “A prospective sequential analysis of the fear-avoidance model of pain” [Pain, 2009] and Nicholas “First things first: Reduction in catastrophizing before fear of movement” [Pain, 2009].Pain. 2009; 146: 222
- Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A state of the art.Pain. 2000; 85: 317-332
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic musculoskeletal pain: 12 years on.Pain. 2012; 153: 1144-1147
- Cognitive and behavioral factors in fibromyalgia: Mood, goals, and task performance.J Muscul Pain. 2009; 17: 295-301
- Self-discrepancy in chronic low back pain: Relation to pain, depression, and psychological distress.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004; 27: 251-259
- Anterolateral prefrontal cortex mediates the analgesic effect of expected and perceived control over pain.J Neurosci. 2006; 26: 11501-11509
- Pain, decisions, and actions: A motivational perspective.Front Neurosci. 2013; 7: 1-12
The presented experimental work was done at the Department of Clinical Psychological Science, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience, Maastricht University, Maastricht, the Netherlands.
This work was supported by the NWO Social Sciences Research Council of the Netherlands, Grant No. 453-04-003 and the Odysseus Grant “The Psychology of Pain and Disability Research Program” funded by Research Foundation - Flanders (Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek–Vlaanderen), Belgium. M.G.S.S. is also supported by a career-building research position at Örebro Universitet, Sweden. K.W. is Senior Research Fellow at the University of Bath and is currently funded by the award of a University of Bath Prize Fellowship to the Centre for Pain Research.