- •Integrin β1 transduces signals from extracellular matrix in a model of chronic pain.
- •Membrane lipid rafts also contribute to mechanisms of hyperalgesia in a model of chronic pain.
- •Our findings help define plasma membrane mechanisms in a preclinical model of chronic pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Transient receptor potential vanilloid 4 is essential in chemotherapy-induced neuropathic pain in the rat.J Neurosci. 2004; 24: 4444-4452
- Role of protein kinase A in the maintenance of inflammatory pain.J Neurosci. 1999; 19: 2181-2186
- Chronic hypersensitivity for inflammatory nociceptor sensitization mediated by the epsilon isozyme of protein kinase C.J Neurosci. 2000; 20: 4680-4685
- Identification of nucleolin as a lipid-raft-dependent beta1-integrin-interacting protein in A375 cell migration.Mol Cells. 2013; 36: 507-517
- Identification of versican as an isolectin B4-binding glycoprotein from mammalian spinal cord tissue.FEBS J. 2005; 272: 1090-1102
- Measurement of intracellular free calcium in monkey kidney cells with aequorin.Science. 1982; 217: 252-254
- Dissociation of bradykinin-induced prostaglandin formation from phosphatidylinositol turnover in Swiss 3T3 fibroblasts: Evidence for G protein regulation of phospholipase A2.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987; 84: 6374-6378
- Key role for the epsilon isoform of protein kinase C in painful alcoholic neuropathy in the rat.J Neurosci. 2000; 20: 8614-8619
- Role of interleukin-6 in chronic muscle hyperalgesic priming.Neuroscience. 2008; 152: 521-525
- Primary afferent second messenger cascades interact with specific integrin subunits in producing inflammatory hyperalgesia.Pain. 2005; 115: 191-203
- Integrin signaling in inflammatory and neuropathic pain in the rat.Eur J Neurosci. 2004; 19: 634-642
- Nociceptor subpopulations involved in hyperalgesic priming.Neuroscience. 2010; 165: 896-901
- Role of nociceptor alphaCaMKII in transition from acute to chronic pain (hyperalgesic priming) in male and female rats.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 11002-11011
- Second messengers mediating the expression of neuroplasticity in a model of chronic pain in the rat.J Pain. 2014; 15: 312-320
- Role of a novel nociceptor autocrine mechanism in chronic pain.Eur J Neurosci. 2013; 37: 1705-1713
- Urokinase-type plasminogen activator receptor (uPAR) ligation induces a raft-localized integrin signaling switch that mediates the hypermotile phenotype of fibrotic fibroblasts.J Biol Chem. 2014; 289: 12791-12804
- Guidelines for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.in: 8th ed. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011 (Available at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/Guide-for-the-care-and-use-of-laboratory-animals.pdf. Accessed November, 2014)
- Hyperalgesic priming is restricted to isolectin B4-positive nociceptors.Neuroscience. 2010; 169: 431-435
- A novel nociceptor signaling pathway revealed in protein kinase C epsilon mutant mice.Neuron. 1999; 24: 253-260
- Cardiotrophic effects of protein kinase C epsilon: Analysis by in vivo modulation of PKCepsilon translocation.Circ Res. 2000; 86: 1173-1179
- Multiple second messenger systems act sequentially to mediate rolipram-induced prolongation of prostaglandin E2-induced mechanical hyperalgesia in the rat.Neuroscience. 1995; 64: 769-776
- Chronic hyperalgesic priming in the rat involves a novel interaction between cAMP and PKCepsilon second messenger pathways.Pain. 2005; 113: 185-190
- Transient attenuation of protein kinase Cepsilon can terminate a chronic hyperalgesic state in the rat.Neuroscience. 2003; 120: 219-226
- Critical role of nociceptor plasticity in chronic pain.Trends Neurosci. 2009; 32: 611-618
- Native ligands change integrin sequestering but not oligomerization in raft-mimicking lipid mixtures.Biophys J. 2011; 101: 1642-1650
- The contribution of training to sensitivity in the nociceptive paw-withdrawal test.Brain Res. 1989; 487: 148-151
- Characterization of distinct phospholipases mediating bradykinin and noradrenaline hyperalgesia.Neuroscience. 1990; 39: 523-531
- Contribution of guanine nucleotide regulatory proteins to prostaglandin hyperalgesia in the rat.Brain Res. 1989; 492: 400-403
- Direct cutaneous hyperalgesia induced by adenosine.Neuroscience. 1990; 38: 757-762
- Lipid rafts mediate internalization of beta1-integrin in migrating intestinal epithelial cells.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008; 295: G965-G976
- Regulation of integrin beta 1 recycling to lipid rafts by Rab1a to promote cell migration.J Biol Chem. 2010; 285: 29398-29405
- Lipid raft regulates the initial spreading of melanoma A375 cells by modulating beta1 integrin clustering.Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2013; 45: 1679-1689
- Overexpression of the C-terminal PG-M/versican domain impairs growth of tumor cells by intervening in the interaction between epidermal growth factor receptor and beta1-integrin.J Cell Sci. 2004; 117: 2227-2237
- Beta 1-integrin-mediated glioma cell adhesion and free radical-induced apoptosis are regulated by binding to a C-terminal domain of PG-M/versican.J Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 12294-12301
- Versican protects cells from oxidative stress-induced apoptosis.Matrix Biol. 2005; 24: 3-13
- The interaction of versican with its binding partners.Cell Res. 2005; 15: 483-494
This study was funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), NS084545.
The authors declare no conflict of interest.