- •Activation of mGlu1/5 leads to phosphorylation of serine-800 of TRPV1 in primary afferents.
- •Peripheral mGlu1/5 activation leads to TRPV1 sensitization and muscle hyperalgesia via PKC.
- •AKAP150 is involved in mGlu1/5-mediated mechanical hyperalgesia in the muscle.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Attenuation of experimental arthritis in TRPV1R knockout mice.Exp Mol Pathol. 2006; 81: 166-170
- Responses of skeletal muscle pH to injury: A new technique for determination of tissue viability.Surgery. 1970; 67: 507-512
- Protein kinase C phosphorylation sensitizes but does not activate the capsaicin receptor transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 (TRPV1).Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 12480-12485
- Activation of peripheral NMDA receptors contributes to human pain and rat afferent discharges evoked by injection of glutamate into the masseter muscle.J Neurophysiol. 2003; 90: 2098-2105
- Interstitial glutamate concentration is elevated in the masseter muscle of myofascial temporomandibular disorder patients.J Orofac Pain. 2010; 24: 350-360
- Distinct subsets of unmyelinated primary sensory fibers mediate behavioral responses to noxious thermal and mechanical stimuli.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 9075-9080
- Role of TRP channels in pain sensation.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2011; 704: 615-636
- Cold suppresses agonist-induced activation of TRPV1.J Dent Res. 2011; 90: 1098-1102
- Disrupting sensitization of transient receptor potential vanilloid subtype 1 inhibits inflammatory hyperalgesia.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 7407-7414
- Guidelines for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.in: 8th ed. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011 (Available at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/Guide-for-the-care-and-use-of-laboratory-animals.pdf. Accessed November, 2014)
- Intracellular pH during ischemia in skeletal muscle: Relationship to membrane potential, extracellular pH, tissue lactic acid and ATP.Pflugers Arch. 1985; 404: 342-347
- Prostaglandin and protein kinase A-dependent modulation of vanilloid receptor function by metabotropic glutamate receptor 5: Potential mechanism for thermal hyperalgesia.J Neurosci. 2002; 22: 7444-7452
- Inflammatory pain: The cellular basis of heat hyperalgesia.Curr Neuropharmacol. 2006; 4: 197-206
- A-kinase anchoring protein mediates TRPV1 thermal hyperalgesia through PKA phosphorylation of TRPV1.Pain. 2008; 138: 604-616
- A-kinase anchoring protein 150 controls protein kinase C-mediated phosphorylation and sensitization of TRPV1.Pain. 2009; 146: 301-307
- The mechanosensitivity of mouse colon afferent fibers and their sensitization by inflammatory mediators require transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 and acid-sensing ion channel 3.J Neurosci. 2005; 25: 10981-10989
- Carboxyl-terminal domain of transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 contains distinct segments differentially involved in capsaicin- and heat-induced desensitization.J Biol Chem. 2013; 288: 35690-35702
- Membrane-delimited coupling of TRPV1 and mGluR5 on presynaptic terminals of nociceptive neurons.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 10000-10009
- The effects of intraarticular resiniferatoxin in experimental knee-joint arthritis.Anesth Analg. 2005; 101: 1433-1439
- Activation of NMDA receptors leads to phosphorylation of TRPV1 S800 by protein kinase C and A-kinase anchoring protein 150 in rat trigeminal ganglia.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012; 424: 358-363
- Functional interactions between NMDA receptors and TRPV1 in trigeminal sensory neurons mediate mechanical hyperalgesia in the rat masseter muscle.Pain. 2012; 153: 1514-1524
- Peripheral metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 mediates mechanical hypersensitivity in craniofacial muscle via protein kinase C dependent mechanisms.Neuroscience. 2007; 146: 375-383
- TRP channels: Targets for the relief of pain.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007; 1772: 989-1003
- Activation of protein kinase C reverses capsaicin-induced calcium-dependent desensitization of TRPV1 ion channels.Cell Calcium. 2004; 35: 471-478
- Algesic agents exciting muscle nociceptors.Exp Brain Res. 2009; 196: 89-100
- The role of transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 in mechanical and chemical visceral hyperalgesia following experimental colitis.Neuroscience. 2007; 148: 1021-1032
- Direct phosphorylation of capsaicin receptor VR1 by protein kinase Cepsilon and identification of two target serine residues.J Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 13375-13378
- Interstitial pH in human skeletal muscle during and after dynamic graded exercise.J Physiol. 2001; 537: 993-998
- The cellular code for mammalian thermosensation.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 5533-5541
- Activation of TRPV1 and TRPA1 leads to muscle nociception and mechanical hyperalgesia.Pain. 2009; 144: 270-277
- The role of peripheral N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors in muscle hyperalgesia.Neuroreport. 2005; 16: 485-489
- Protein kinase A anchoring via AKAP150 is essential for TRPV1 modulation by forskolin and prostaglandin E2 in mouse sensory neurons.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 4904-4917
- Bradykinin lowers the threshold temperature for heat activation of vanilloid receptor 1.J Neurophysiol. 2002; 88: 544-548
- Pain effects of glutamate injections into human jaw or neck muscles.J Orofac Pain. 2005; 19: 109-118
- Warmth suppresses and desensitizes damage-sensing ion channel TRPA1.Mol Pain. 2012; 8: 22
- Lack of TRPV1 inhibits cystitis-induced increased mechanical sensitivity in mice.Pain. 2008; 139: 158-167
- Temperature changes in deep muscles of humans during upper and lower extremity exercise.J Athl Train. 1998; 33: 211-215
- Proinflammatory mediators modulate the heat-activated ion channel TRPV1 via the scaffolding protein AKAP79/150.Neuron. 2008; 59: 450-461
This study was supported by National Institutes of Health grants R01 DE016062 (J.Y.R.) and R01 DE023846 (M.-K.C). The authors disclose no conflict of interest in respect to this work.