- •Pain control attempts may result in heightened attention to pain-related information.
- •Pain control attempts should thus bias attention to the pain-relevant location.
- •A tactile change detection task was presented to pain control and comparison groups.
- •Comparison group shows an attentional bias for the pain location when under threat.
- •Pain control group shows similar attentional bias irrespective of threat.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Baddeley A.D. Working Memory. Clarendon Press, Oxford1986
- The effects of heat-induced pain on the detectability, discriminability, and sensation magnitude of vibrotactile stimuli.Somatosens Mot Res. 2001; 18: 5-9
- Pain: The perception of noxious events.in: Sternbach R.A. The Psychology of Pain. Raven Press, New York1987: 169-202
- Mechanisms of attentional biases towards threat in anxiety disorders: An integrative review.Clin Psychol Rev. 2010; 30: 203-216
- Is it better to have controlled and lost than never to have controlled at all? An experimental investigation of control over pain.Pain. 2008; 137: 631-639
- Hypervigilance to pain: An experimental and clinical analysis.Pain. 2005; 116: 4-7
- When you dislike patients, pain is taken less seriously.Pain. 2011; 152: 2342-2347
- An artificial neural network of orienting attention toward threatening somatosensory stimuli.Psychophysiology. 2008; 45: 229-239
- Pain demands attention: A cognitive-affective model of the interruptive function of pain.Psychol Bull. 1999; 125: 356-366
- Worry and chronic pain: A misdirected problem solving model.Pain. 2007; 132: 233-236
- Anxiety and cognitive performance: Attentional control theory.Emotion. 2007; 7: 336-353
- The Goal Construct in Social Psychology.in: Kruglanski W. Higgins T.E. Social Psychology: Handbook of Basic Principles. Guilford, New York2007: 490-515
- Bottom-up priming of top-down attentional control settings.Vis Cogn. 2008; 16: 215-231
- The failure to detect tactile change: A tactile analogue of visual change blindness.Psychon Bull Rev. 2006; 13: 300-303
- Is touch gating due to sensory or cognitive interference?.Pain. 2012; 153: 1082-1090
- A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure.Scand Stat. 1979; 6: 65-70
- The PHQ-15: Validity of a new measure for evaluating the severity of somatic symptoms.Psychosom Med. 2002; 64: 258-266
- A neurocognitive model of attention to pain: Behavioral and neuroimaging evidence.Pain. 2009; 144: 230-232
- Transformed up-down methods in psychoacoustics.J Acoust Soc Am. 1970; 49: 467-477
- The effect of threat on attentional interruption by pain.Pain. 2013; 154: 82-88
- Space-based, but not arm-based, shift in tactile processing in complex regional pain syndrome and its relationship to cooling of the affected limb.Brain. 2009; 132: 3142-3151
- Neglect-like tactile dysfunction in chronic back pain.Neurology. 2012; 79: 327-332
- Attempts to control pain prioritize attention towards signals of pain: An experimental study.Pain. 2011; 152: 1068-1073
- Emotion drives attention: Detecting the snake in the grass.J Exp Psychol. 2001; 130: 466-478
- Pinheiro J.C. Bates D.M. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS. Springer-Verlag, New York2000
- Tscope: A C library for programming cognitive experiments on the MS Windows platform.Behav Res Methods. 2006; 38: 280-286
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Hypervigilance to learned pain signals: A componential analysis.J Pain. 2006; 7: 346-357
- The anticipation of pain modulates spatial attention: Evidence for pain-specificity in high pain catastrophizers.Pain. 2004; 111: 392-399
- Keeping pain in mind: A motivational account of attention to pain.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2010; 34: 204-213
- How efficient is the orienting of spatial attention to pain? An experimental investigation.Pain. 2012; 153: 1226-1231
- Spatial attention modulates tactile change detection.Exp Brain Res. 2013; 224: 295-302
- The interruptive effect of pain in a multitask environment: An experimental investigation.J Pain. 2012; 13: 131-138
- The anticipation of pain at a specific location of the body prioritizes tactile stimuli at that location.Pain. 2013; 154: 1464-1468
- Theta burst stimulation dissociates attention and action updating in human inferior frontal cortex.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010; 107: 13966-13971
- Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A state of the art.Pain. 2000; 85: 317-332
- Intensive and extensive aspects of tactile sensitivity as a function of body part, sex and laterality.in: Kenshalo D.R. The Skin Senses. Thomas Springfield, Illinois1968: 195-200
Disclosures: This study was supported by a research grant (BOF11/STA/004) from the Special Research Foundation of Ghent University (BOF) awarded to S. Van Damme.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.