- •Conditioned pain modulation (CPM) is more confidently interpreted using pain threshold than intensity as test stimuli.
- •Back and forearms are equally effective as sites for the test and conditioning stimuli.
- •Test and conditioning stimuli for CPM should not be applied to a single body region.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sensitization in patients with painful knee osteoarthritis.Pain. 2010; 149: 573-581
- Measurements of human pressure-pain thresholds on fingers and toes.Pain. 1989; 38: 211-217
- Ethnic differences in diffuse noxious inhibitory controls.J Pain. 2008; 9: 759-766
- Reliability of pain threshold measurement in young adults.J Headache Pain. 2006; 7: 21-26
- Interrater reliability of algometry in measuring pressure pain thresholds in healthy humans, using multiple raters.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 760-766
- The interactions between spatial summation and DNIC: Effect of the distance between two painful stimuli and attentional factors on pain perception.Pain. 2010; 151: 489-495
- The visual analog scale in the immediate postoperative period: Intrasubject variability and correlation with a numeric scale.Anesth Analg. 1998; 86: 102-106
- The evaluation of neuropathic components in low back pain.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2009; 13: 185-190
- Heterotopic ischemic pain attenuates somatosensory evoked potentials induced by electrical tooth stimulation: Diffuse noxious inhibitory controls in the trigeminal nerve territory.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 495-504
- Evidence of augmented central pain processing in idiopathic chronic low back pain.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 50: 613-623
- Determinants of endogenous analgesia magnitude in a diffuse noxious inhibitory control (DNIC) paradigm: Do conditioning stimulus painfulness, gender and personality variables matter?.Pain. 2008; 136: 142-149
- Usefulness and limitations of quantitative sensory testing: Clinical and research application in neuropathic pain states.Pain. 2007; 129: 256-259
- Relationship between quantitative sensory testing and pain or disability in people with spinal pain—A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2013; 154: 1497-1504
- A comparison of seven-point and visual analogue scales. Data from a randomized trial.Control Clin Trials. 1990; 11: 43-51
- Widespread pain in fibromyalgia is related to a deficit of endogenous pain inhibition.Pain. 2005; 114: 295-302
- Modulatory influence on somatosensory perception from vibration and heterotopic noxious conditioning stimulation (HNCS) in fibromyalgia patients and healthy subjects.Pain. 1997; 70: 41-51
- Changes in pain perception and descending inhibitory controls start at middle age in healthy adults.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 506-510
- The effects of DNIC-type inhibition on temporal summation compared to single pulse processing: Does sex matter?.Pain. 2008; 140: 429-435
- Pain additivity, diffuse noxious inhibitory controls, and attention: A functional measurement analysis.Somatosens Mot Res. 2007; 24: 189-201
- Inhibitory effects do not depend on the subjective experience of pain during heterotopic noxious conditioning stimulation (HNCS): A contribution to the psychophysics of pain inhibition.Eur J Pain. 2002; 6: 365-374
- Somatosensory perception in a remote pain-free area and function of diffuse noxious inhibitory controls (DNIC) in patients suffering from long-term trapezius myalgia.Eur J Pain. 2002; 6: 149-159
- Pressure pain thresholds of tender point sites in patients with fibromyalgia and in healthy controls.Eur J Pain. 2004; 8: 111-117
- FolkMedicine and the Sensory Modulation of Pain.3rd ed. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1994
- The context of a noxious stimulus affects the pain it evokes.Pain. 2007; 133: 64-71
- The role of stimulation parameters on the conditioned pain modulation response.Scand J Pain. 2013; 4: 10-14
- A psychophysical study of endogenous analgesia: The role of the conditioning pain in the induction and magnitude of conditioned pain modulation.Eur J Pain. 2011; 15: 491-497
- The inter and intra-individual variance in descending pain modulation evoked by different conditioning stimuli in healthy men.Scand J Pain. 2011; 2: 162-169
- Tender or not tender: Test-retest repeatability of pressure pain thresholds in the trapezius and deltoid muscles of healthy women.J Rehabil Med. 2004; 36: 17-27
- Chronic back pain, acute postoperative pain and the activation of diffuse noxious inhibitory controls (DNIC).Pain. 1992; 50: 177-187
- Impairment of pain inhibition in chronic tension-type headache.Pain. 2005; 118: 215-223
- The methodology of experimentally induced diffuse noxious inhibitory control (DNIC)-like effect in humans.Pain. 2009; 144: 16-19
- Homotopic and heterotopic effects of endogenous analgesia in healthy volunteers.Neurosci Lett. 2005; 380: 209-213
- Attentional modulation of spatial integration of pain: Evidence for dynamic spatial tuning.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 11635-11640
- A systematic literature review of 10 years of research on sex/gender and experimental pain perception, part 1: Are there really differences between women and men?.Pain. 2012; 153: 602-618
- Spatial summation of pain in humans investigated using transcutaneous electrical stimulation.J Pain. 2014; 16: 11-18
- Supra-threshold scaling, temporal summation, and after-sensation: Relationships to each other and anxiety/fear.J Pain Res. 2010; 3: 25-32
- Quantitative sensory testing in the German Research Network on Neuropathic Pain (DFNS): Standardized protocol and reference values.Pain. 2006; 123: 231-243
- Interobserver reproducibility of the assessment of severity of complaints, grip strength, and pressure pain threshold in patients with lateral epicondylitis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1145-1150
- Diffuse noxious inhibitory controls (DNIC) attenuate temporal summation of second pain in normal males but not in normal females or fibromyalgia patients.Pain. 2003; 101: 167-174
- Site- and modality-specific modulation of experimental muscle pain in humans.Brain Res. 1999; 851: 32-38
- An experimental model to measure excitatory and inhibitory pain mechanisms in humans.Brain Res. 2008; 1230: 73-79
- Time dependent differences in pain sensitivity during unilateral ischemic pain provocation in healthy volunteers.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 225-232
- Perspective on diffuse noxious inhibitory controls as a model of endogenous pain modulation in clinical pain syndromes.J Pain. 2010; 11: 408-419
- Encoding of nociceptive thermal stimuli by diffuse noxious inhibitory controls in humans.J Neurophysiol. 1989; 62: 1028-1038
- Psychophysical and electrophysiological approaches to the pain-relieving effects of heterotopic nociceptive stimuli.Brain. 1984; 107: 1095-1112
- Conditioned pain modulation (the diffuse noxious inhibitory control-like effect): Its relevance for acute and chronic pain states.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2010; 23: 611-615
- Recommendations on terminology and practice of psychophysical DNIC testing.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 339
- Prediction of chronic post-operative pain: Pre-operative DNIC testing identifies patients at risk.Pain. 2008; 138: 22-28
This research was funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) of Australia (project grant: 631369; fellowships: P.W.H., 1002190; A.S., 1053058; G.L.M., 571090; M.S., 1002489).
There are no conflicts of interest related to this work.