- •Data were sampled from an open-source data registry in a tertiary care pain clinic.
- •PROMIS measures were used to assess physical and psychological functioning.
- •Path analysis techniques were used to model statistical relationships.
- •Pain intensity, sleep disturbance, and depression uniquely contribute to fatigue.
- •Fatigue is a mediator between pain and both physical function and pain interference.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of unexplained fatigue and major depression in the community: The Baltimore ECA follow-up, 1981-1994.Washington, DC, Psychol Med. 2001; 31: 1037-1044
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV-TR®.American Psychiatric Pub, 2000
- Development of a PROMIS item bank to measure pain interference.Pain. 2010; 150: 173-182
- Gender differences in fatigue: Biopsychosocial factors relating to fatigue in men and women.Med Care. 1999; 37: 1078-1083
- Is fatigue an inflammatory variable in rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Analyses of fatigue in RA, osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 2788-2794
- Fatigue and physical disability in patients with multiple sclerosis: A structural equation modeling approach.J Behav Med. 2010; 33: 355-363
- Chronic fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia: Disability and health-care use.Med Care. 1996; 34: 924-930
- Irritable bowel syndrome and recurrent abdominal pain: A comparative review.Psychosomatics. 1999; 40: 277-285
- The future of outcomes measurement: Item banking, tailored short-forms, and computerized adaptive assessment.Qual Life Res. 2007; 16: 133-141
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) developed and tested its first wave of adult self-reported health outcome item banks: 2005-2008.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 1179-1194
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS): Progress of an NIH Roadmap cooperative group during its first two years.Med Care. 2007; 45: S3-S11
- Co-occurrence and associations of pain and fatigue in a community sample of Dutch adults.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 327-334
- Chronic stress and regulation of cellular markers of inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis: Implications for fatigue.Brain Behav Immun. 2008; 22: 24-32
- Fatigue and fatigue-related symptoms in an orofacial pain population.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 99: 168-174
- Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale.Pain. 2001; 94: 149-158
- Fatigue in HIV illness: Relationship to depression, physical limitations, and disability.Psychosom Med. 1998; 60: 759-764
- A prospective analysis of stress and fatigue in recurrent low back pain.Pain. 1987; 31: 333-344
- Does pain cause the perception of fatigue in patients with chronic pain? Findings from studies for management of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain with duloxetine.Pain Pract. 2009; 9: 354-362
- Progress in assessing physical function in arthritis: PROMIS short forms and computerized adaptive testing.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 2061-2066
- The economic costs of pain in the United States.J Pain. 2012; 13: 715-724
- Comorbid somatic symptoms and functional status in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome: Sensory amplification as a common mechanism.Psychosomatics. 2008; 49: 235-242
- The development of a clinical outcomes survey research application: Assessment Center.Qual Life Res. 2010; 19: 677-685
- Studying sex and gender differences in pain and analgesia: A consensus report.Pain. 2007; 132: S26-S45
- Fatigue in women treated with bone marrow transplantation for breast cancer: A comparison with women with no history of cancer.Support Care Cancer. 1997; 5: 44-52
- Development of physical and mental health summary scores from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) global items.Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 873-880
- Studies comparing numerical rating scales, verbal rating scales, and visual analogue scales for assessment of pain intensity in adults: A systematic literature review.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011; 41: 1073-1093
- The effects of depression and chronic pain on psychosocial and physical functioning.Clin J Pain. 1996; 12: 118-125
- SNAPL-CAT: Catalyzing the Rate-Limiting Step of Big Data Psychometrics with Item-Response Theory and Advanced Computerized Adaptive Testing (Poster Presentation).American Medical Informatics Associations (AMIA) 2014 Joint Summits on Translational Science, San Francisco, CA2014
- Ambulatory monitoring of physical activity and symptoms in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 296-303
- A comparison of methods to test mediation and other intervening variable effects.Psychol Methods. 2002; 7: 83-104
- Disrupted sleep patterns and daily functioning in patients with chronic pain.Pain Res Manag. 2001; 7: 75-79
- Comorbid chronic pain and depression: Who is at risk?.J Pain. 2009; 10: 619-627
- The impact of momentary pain and fatigue on physical activity in women with osteoarthritis.Arthritis Care Res. 2008; 59: 849-856
- Mplus: Statistical Analysis with Latent Variables; User's Guide; [Version 5].Muthén & Muthén, Los Angeles2007
- Executive functions, self-regulation, and chronic pain: A review.Ann Behav Med. 2009; 37: 173-183
- A cross-sectional study of the relationship between body mass index and clinical characteristics, tenderness measures, quality of life, and physical functioning in fibromyalgia patients.Clin Rheumatol. 2008; 27: 1543-1547
- The contribution of pain, reported sleep quality, and depressive symptoms to fatigue in fibromyalgia.Pain. 2002; 100: 271-279
- Can exercise limits prevent post-exertional malaise in chronic fatigue syndrome? An uncontrolled clinical trial.Clin Rehabil. 2008; 22: 426-435
- Exploring the effect of depression on physical disability: Longitudinal evidence from the established populations for epidemiologic studies of the elderly.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1346-1352
- Item banks for measuring emotional distress from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS®): Depression, anxiety, and anger.Assessment. 2011; 18: 263-283
- Fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis reflects pain, not disease activity.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2006; 45: 885-889
- Fatigue in multiple sclerosis: Reciprocal relationships with physical disabilities and depression.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 53: 775-781
- Gender difference in the prevalence of clinical depression: The role played by depression associated with somatic symptoms.Am J Psychiatry. 1999; 156: 480-482
- Temporal relations between unexplained fatigue and depression: Longitudinal data from an international study in primary care.Psychosom Med. 2004; 66: 330-335
- The Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory (MFI) psychometric qualities of an instrument to assess fatigue.J Psychosom Res. 1995; 39: 315-325
- Segerstrom SC: Self-regulatory deficits in fibromyalgia and temporomandibular disorders.Pain. 2010; 151: 37-44
- Common chronic pain conditions in developed and developing countries: Gender and age differences and comorbidity with depression-anxiety disorders.J Pain. 2008; 9: 883-891
- Ego depletion is not just fatigue: Evidence from a total sleep deprivation experiment.Soc Psychol Personal Sci. 2011; 2: 166-173
- Relationship between body mass index and fibromyalgia features.Scand J Rheumatol. 2002; 31: 27-31
- Daily fatigue in women with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia.Pain. 2007; 128: 128-135
- Long-term oral opioid therapy in patients with chronic nonmalignant pain.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1992; 7: 69-77
The authors received funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH HHSN 271201200728P) as well as the Redlich Pain Endowment.
The authors have no financial conflicts of interest to disclose.