- •A galanin promoter was used to drive MOR expression in an injury-specific manner.
- •The CMV promoter was used as the control promoter in the HSV vector.
- •GalMOR-infected mice exhibited greater antinociception than cmvMOR-infected mice.
- •A greater increase in density was found in the spinal cords of galMOR-infected mice.
- •A promoter can be used to drive gene expression in an injury-specific manner.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Gene transfer into mammalian central nervous system using herpes virus vectors: Extended expression of bacterial lacZ in neurons using the neuron-specific enolase promoter.Hum Gene Ther. 1992; 3: 487-499
- Characterization of an enhancer region of the galanin gene that directs expression to the dorsal root ganglion and confers responsiveness to axotomy.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 6573-6580
- Clinical characteristics and economic costs of patients with painful neuropathic disorders.J Pain. 2004; 5: 143-149
- Differential transgene expression profiles in rat brain, using rAAV2/1 vectors with tetracycline-inducible and cytomegalovirus promoters.Hum Gene Ther. 2008; 19: 1293-1305
- Stereological analysis of galanin and CGRP synapses in the dorsal horn of neuropathic primates.Brain Res. 1996; 711: 16-25
- Primary afferent-evoked release of immunoreactive galanin in the spinal cord of the neuropathic rat.Br J Anaesth. 1998; 81: 436-443
- The effect of a peripheral mononeuropathy on immunoreactive (ir)-galanin release in the spinal cord of the rat.Brain Res. 1997; 766: 259-261
- Differential galanin upregulation in dorsal root ganglia and spinal cord after graded single ligature nerve constriction of the rat sciatic nerve.J Chem Neuroanat. 2008; 35: 94-100
- Gene therapy for pain: Results of a phase I clinical trial.Ann Neurol. 2011; 70: 207-212
- Novel tumour-specific promoters for transcriptional targeting of hepatocellular carcinoma by herpes simplex virus vectors.J Gene Med. 2010; 12: 956-967
- Herpes vector-mediated expression of proenkephalin reduces bone cancer pain.Ann Neurol. 2002; 52: 662-665
- Windup in dorsal horn neurons is modulated by endogenous spinal mu-opioid mechanisms.J Neurosci. 2006; 26: 4298-4307
- Transgene-mediated enkephalin expression attenuates signs of naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal in rats with neuropathic pain.Behav Brain Res. 2009; 197: 84-89
- Transgene-mediated enkephalin release enhances the effect of morphine and evades tolerance to produce a sustained antiallodynic effect in neuropathic pain.Pain. 2003; 102: 135-142
- Effects of transgene-mediated endomorphin-2 in inflammatory pain.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 380-386
- The impact of neuropathic pain on health-related quality of life: Review and implications.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1178-1182
- Antinociceptive effects of galanin in the central nucleus of amygdala of rats, an involvement of opioid receptors.Brain Res. 2010; 1320: 16-21
- Afferent fiber-selective shift in opiate potency following targeted opioid receptor knockdown.Pain. 2003; 106: 365-371
- Preproenkephalin promoter yields region-specific and long-term expression in adult brain after direct in vivo gene transfer via a defective herpes simplex viral vector.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994; 91: 8979-8983
- Dynamic temporal and spatial regulation of mu opioid receptor expression in primary afferent neurons following spinal nerve injury.Eur J Pain. 2011; 15: 669-675
- Decreased opioid analgesia in weanling rats exposed to endothelin-1 during infancy.Neurosci Lett. 2009; 466: 144-148
- Anatomy and physiology of central galanin-containing pathways.Prog Neurobiol. 1993; 40: 711-769
- Attenuation of pain-related behavior in a rat model of trigeminal neuropathic pain by viral-driven enkephalin overproduction in trigeminal ganglion neurons.Mol Ther. 2005; 11: 608-616
- Gene therapy: Designer promoters for tumour targeting.Trends Genet. 2000; 16: 174-181
- Promoters and control elements: Designing expression cassettes for gene therapy.Curr Gene Ther. 2004; 4: 89-113
- Influence of promoter and WHV post-transcriptional regulatory element on AAV-mediated transgene expression in the rat brain.Gene Ther. 2000; 7: 1304-1311
- Intracerebroventricular galanin and N-terminal galanin fragment enhance the morphine-induced analgesia in the rat.J Neural Transm Gen Sect. 1995; 102: 229-235
- Effects of peripheral axotomy on neuropeptides and nitric oxide synthase in dorsal root ganglia and spinal cord of the guinea pig: An immunohistochemical study.Brain Res. 1996; 707: 180-188
- Adeno-associated viral vector mediated and cardiac-specific delivery of CD151 gene in ischemic rat hearts.J Huazhong Univ Sci Technol Med Sci. 2011; 31: 46-51
- Intrathecal galanin potentiates the spinal analgesic effect of morphine: Electrophysiological and behavioural studies.Neurosci Lett. 1990; 109: 217-221
- Antihyperalgesic effects of infection with a preproenkephalin-encoding herpes virus.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999; 96: 3211-3216
- Engineering an endomorphin-2 gene for use in neuropathic pain therapy.Pain. 2007; 133: 29-38
- Antinociceptive role of galanin in the spinal cord of rats with inflammation, an involvement of opioid systems.Regul Pept. 2005; 132: 85-90
- HCCS1-armed, quadruple-regulated oncolytic adenovirus specific for liver cancer as a cancer targeting gene-viro-therapy strategy.Mol Cancer. 2011; 10: 133
- Mu-opioidergic modulation differs in deep and superficial wide-dynamic range dorsal horn neurons in mice.Neurosci Lett. 2013; 549: 157-162
- Enhanced peripheral analgesia using virally mediated gene transfer of the mu-opioid receptor in mice.Anesthesiology. 2008; 108: 305-313
- Effect of peripheral nerve cut on neuropeptides in dorsal root ganglia and the spinal cord of monkey with special reference to galanin.J Neurocytol. 1993; 22: 342-381
- An interaction of opioids and galanin in dorsal horn of the spinal cord in mononeuropathic rats.Regul Pept. 2000; 86: 89-94
This work was supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health (R01 Grant NS26363), South Carolina Post Baccalaureate Research Education Program for Minorities (R25 Grants GM066526 and GM076277 from the National Institutes of Health), and Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest with respect to this study.