- •This study examines whether injections of hypertonic saline can lead to perceptual distortions of the face in healthy volunteers.
- •Injections of isotonic saline into the infraorbital nerve region and the mental nerve region can lead to perceptual distortions.
- •Perceptual distortions of the face might also be influenced by the psychological variable of dissociation, as indicated by the statistically significant correlations between perceptual distortions and dissociation measured using a set of psychological questionnaires.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Chairside intraoral qualitative somatosensory testing: Reliability and comparison between patients with atypical odontalgia and healthy controls.J Orofac Pain. 2013; 27: 165-170
- The somatosensory amplification scale and its relationship to hypochondriasis.J Psychiatr Res. 1990; 24: 323-334
- BDI-II, Beck Depression Inventory: Manual.Psychological Corp.; Harcourt Brace, San Antonio, TX; Boston1996
- Chronic orofacial pain.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2010; 14: 33-40
- Development, reliability, and validity of a dissociation scale.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1986; 174: 727-735
- Rapid cortical reorganisation and improved sensitivity of the hand following cutaneous anaesthesia of the forearm.Eur J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 837-844
- Survey of chronic pain in Europe: Prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatment.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 287-333
- C-fibres provide a source of masking inhibition to primary somatosensory cortex.Proc Biol Sci. 1991; 243: 269-275
- Immediate and chronic changes in responses of somatosensory cortex in adult flying-fox after digit amputation.Nature. 1988; 332: 446-448
- Viewing one's own face being touched modulates tactile perception: An fMRI study.J Cogn Neurosci. 2011; 23: 503-513
- It feels like it's me: Interpersonal multisensory stimulation enhances visual remapping of touch from other to self.J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform. 2013; 39: 630-637
- Extensive reorganization of primary somatosensory cortex in chronic back pain patients.Neurosci Lett. 1997; 224: 5-8
- Cortical reorganisation and chronic pain: Implications for rehabilitation.J Rehabil Med. 2003; 41: 66-72
- Perceptual distortions of the human body image produced by local anaesthesia, pain and cutaneous stimulation.J Physiol. 1999; 514: 609-616
- Measures of adult pain: Visual analog scale for pain (VAS pain), numeric rating scale for pain (NRS pain), McGill Pain Questionnaire (MPQ), Short-Form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ), Chronic Pain Grade Scale (CPGS), Short Form-36 Bodily Pain Scale (SF-36 BPS), and measure of Intermittent and Constant Osteoarthritis Pain (ICOAP).Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: S240-S252
- Review of neuroimaging studies related to pain modulation.Scand J Pain. 2011; 2: 108-120
- The sense of the body in individuals with spinal cord injury.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e50757
- Body perception disturbance: A contribution to pain in complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS).Pain (Amsterdam). 2007; 133: 111-119
- Patterns of cortical reorganization in complex regional pain syndrome.Neurology. 2003; 61: 1707-1715
- Distorted body image in complex regional pain syndrome.Neurology. 2005; 65: 773
- I can't find it! Distorted body image and tactile dysfunction in patients with chronic back pain.Pain. 2008; 140: 239-243
- Bodily illusions in health and disease: Physiological and clinical perspectives and the concept of a cortical “body matrix”.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2012; 36: 34-46
- Regional nerve blocks of the face.Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2013; 31: 517-527
- The phenomenology of body image distortions induced by regional anaesthesia.Brain. 2003; 126: 702-712
- Somatic motor and sensory representation in the cerebral cortex of man as studied by electrical stimulation.Brain. 1937; 60: 389-443
- Massive cortical reorganization after sensory deafferentation in adult macaques.Science. 1991; 252: 1857-1860
- Behavioral and magnetoencephalographic correlates of plasticity in the adult human brain.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993; 90: 10413-10420
- Short-term brain “plasticity” in humans: Transient finger representation changes in sensory cortex somatotopy following ischemic anesthesia.Brain Res. 1994; 642: 169-177
- Functional reorganization of the human primary somatosensory cortex after acute pain demonstrated by magnetoencephalography.Neurosci Lett. 2001; 298: 195-198
- Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (Form Y) (“Self-Evaluation Questionnaire”).Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA1983
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Effect of chronic and experimental jaw muscle pain on pain-pressure thresholds and stimulus-response curves.J Orofac Pain. 1995; 9: 347-356
- The other in me: Interpersonal multisensory stimulation changes the mental representation of the self.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e40682
- The person in the mirror: Using the enfacement illusion to investigate the experiential structure of self-identification.Conscious Cogn. 2012; 21: 1725-1738
- The cerebral signature for pain perception and its modulation.Neuron. 2007; 55: 377-391
- Looking for myself: Current multisensory input alters self-face recognition.PLoS One. 2008; 3: e4040
- Perceptual distortion of face deletion by local anaesthesia of the human lips and teeth.Exp Brain Res. 2005; 165: 37-43
The work was done at the Section of Clinical Oral Physiology, Department of Dentistry, Aarhus University, Denmark.
The study was funded by a grant from Aarhus University (AU-IDEAS) of 500,000 Danish kroner. The research group was economically independent of the grant. Participants received financial compensation in terms of 100 Danish kroner/h, which was reported to the tax authorities. The authors have no conflict of interest.