- •A novel rat model of acute postoperative pain has been developed.
- •It represents the first animal model of acute pain following inguinal hernia repair.
- •The model is characterized by deficits in locomotor activity, reversible by analgesics.
- •Pain-related phenotype is driven primarily by activation of deep somatic or visceral nociceptors.
- •The model is associated with increased c-Fos expression in the dorsal horn.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pain and functional impairment 6 years after inguinal herniorrhaphy.Hernia. 2006; 10: 316-321
- Assessment of carprofen and buprenorphine on recovery of mice after surgical removal of the mammary fat pad.J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2010; 49: 610-616
- Practice guidelines for acute pain management in the perioperative setting: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Acute Pain Management.Anesthesiology. 2012; 116: 248-273
- The Lichtenstein repair in 2002: an overview of causes of recurrence after Lichtenstein tension-free hernioplasty.Hernia. 2003; 7: 13-16
- The Lichtenstein open “tension-free” mesh repair of inguinal hernias.Surg Today. 1995; 25: 619-625
- Postoperative pain experience: results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanaged.Anesth Analg. 2003; 97 (table of contents, 2003): 534-540
- Characterization of a rat model of incisional pain.Pain. 1996; 64: 493-501
- A new knee surgery model in rats to evaluate functional measures of postoperative pain.Anesth Analg. 2008; 107: 300-308
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Reduction of postincisional allodynia by subcutaneous bupivacaine: findings with a new model in the hairy skin of the rat.Anesthesiology. 2005; 103: 113-125
- The effects of spinal anesthesia vs epidural anesthesia on 3 potential postoperative complications: pain, urinary retention, and mobility following inguinal herniorrhaphy.AANA J. 2002; 70: 441-447
- Characterization of a model of persistent postoperative pain evoked by skin/muscle incision and retraction (SMIR).Pain. 2008; 135: 119-130
- Effects of analgesics on the plantar incision-induced drop of the noxious heat threshold measured with an increasing-temperature water bath in the rat.Eur J Pharmacol. 2009; 605: 63-67
- A placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of perioperative administration of gabapentin, rofecoxib and their combination for spontaneous and movement-evoked pain after abdominal hysterectomy.Pain. 2005; 113: 191-200
- Lichtenstein tension-free repair of inguinal hernia.Chirurgia (Bucur). 2006; 101: 509-512
- Inguinal hernias.BMJ. 2008; 336: 269-272
- An experimental model for peripheral neuropathy produced by segmental spinal nerve ligation in the rat.Pain. 1992; 50: 355-363
- Hernia repair with polypropylene mesh. An improved method.AORN J. 1990; 52: 559-565
- Morphine-induced hyperactivity in rats—A rebound effect?.Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 1993; 347: 635-642
- Effects of laparotomy on spontaneous exploratory activity and conditioned operant responding in the rat: a model for postoperative pain.Anesthesiology. 2004; 101: 191-203
- Analysis of post-surgical pain after inguinal hernia repair: a prospective study of 1,440 operations.Hernia. 2007; 11: 517-525
- Inflammation-induced reduction of spontaneous activity by adjuvant: A novel model to study the effect of analgesics in rats.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007; 320: 194-201
- Thirty percent of patients have moderate to severe pain 24 hr after ambulatory surgery: a survey of 5,703 patients.Can J Anaesth. 2004; 51: 886-891
- Synergism between paracetamol and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in experimental acute pain.Pain. 2006; 121: 22-28
- Validation of an air-puff passive-avoidance paradigm for assessment of aversive learning and memory in rat models of chronic pain.J Neurosci Methods. 2012; 204: 1-8
- Acute postoperative pain management.Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2000; 13: 244-247
- Modulation of conditioned fear, fear-conditioned analgesia, and brain regional c-Fos expression following administration of muscimol into the rat basolateral amygdala.J Pain. 2011; 12: 712-721
- Effects of intra-basolateral amygdala administration of rimonabant on nociceptive behaviour and neuronal activity in the presence or absence of contextual fear.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 487-495
- Behavioural effects of laparotomy and analgesic effects of ketoprofen and carprofen in rats.Pain. 2001; 90: 65-74
- Effects of surgery and analgesic administration on spontaneous behaviour in singly housed rats.Res Vet Sci. 2000; 69: 283-288
- Evaluation of a short duration behaviour-based post-operative pain scoring system in rats.Eur J Pain. 2003; 7: 397-406
- Behavioural assessment of the effects of tumour growth in rats and the influence of the analgesics carprofen and meloxicam.Lab Anim. 2004; 38: 286-296
- The patent processus vaginalis and the inguinal hernia.J Pediatr Surg. 1969; 4: 102-107
- Open tension free repair of inguinal hernias; the Lichtenstein technique.BMC Surg. 2001; 1: 3
- The effects of synthetic and endogenous imidazoline binding site ligands on neuronal activity in discrete brain regions of naive and restraint-stressed rats.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2009; 19: 371-380
- Evaluation of postoperative analgesia in a rat model of incisional pain.Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci. 2003; 42: 28-34
- Atlas of the Rat Spinal Cord.in: The Spinal Cord. Academic Press, San Diego2009: 238-306
- An anatomical and electrophysiological study of the genitofemoral nerve and some of its targets in the male rat.J Anat. 2002; 201: 493-505
- Dissociation between post-surgical pain behaviors and spinal Fos-like immunoreactivity in the rat.Eur J Pharmacol. 2006; 531: 108-117
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare. This project was funded by a grant from the Irish Industrial Development Agency in partnership with Covidien . The Irish Industrial Development Agency played no part in study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the article for publication. Coauthors O.M., C.O.M., and D.C.B. at Covidien did contribute to these elements.