- •Disturbed pain sensitivity may be a complicating factor in clinical pain states.
- •Pain sensitivity can be assessed using quantitative sensory testing (QST).
- •The reliability of QST was improved substantially by applying a battery of tests.
- •Reliability was also improved substantially by repeated testing (occasions).
- •Little was gained from testing with different raters or differentiated weighting.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Value of quantitative sensory testing in neurological and pain disorders: NeuPSIG consensus.Pain. 2013; 154: 1807-1819
Brennan RL: Computer Programs - Center for Advanced Studies in Measurement and Assessment (CASMA) - College of Education - The University of Iowa [Internet]. [cited 2014 Jan 1]. Available at: http://www.education.uiowa.edu/centers/casma/computer-programs#8f748e48-f88c-6551-b2b8-ff00000648cd
- Generalizability theory.Springer, New York2001
- Interrater reliability of algometry in measuring pressure pain thresholds in healthy humans, using multiple raters.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 760-766
- Technology literature review: Quantitative sensory testing.Muscle Nerve. 2004; 29: 734-747
- Guidelines, criteria, and rules of thumb for evaluating normed and standardized assessment instruments in psychology.Psychol Assess. 1994; 6: 284-290
- Test-retest and interobserver reliability of quantitative sensory testing according to the protocol of the German Research Network on Neuropathic Pain (DFNS): A multi-centre study.Pain. 2011; 152: 548-556
- A comparison of pressure pain detection thresholds in people with chronic low back pain and volunteers without pain.Phys Ther. 2005; 85: 1085-1092
- Test-retest reliability of pressure pain threshold measurements of the upper limb and torso in young healthy women.J Pain Off J Am Pain Soc. 2007; 8: 650-656
- Validation.in: Brennan R.L. Educational Measurement. 4th ed. ACE/Praeger, Westport, CT2006: 17-64
- Variation in response to experimental pain across the menstrual cycle in women compared with one month response in men.Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2010; 54: 57-62
- Pressure pain thresholds of tender point sites in patients with fibromyalgia and in healthy controls.Eur J Pain Lond Engl. 2004; 8: 111-117
- Evidence for generalized hyperalgesia in chronic fatigue syndrome: A case control study.Clin Rheumatol. 2010; 29: 393-398
- Reliability of thermal quantitative sensory testing: A systematic review.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2012; 49: 191-207
- Reliability of clinical pressure-pain algometric measurements obtained on consecutive days.Phys Ther. 1998; 78: 160-169
- Effects of paracetamol combined with dextromethorphan in human experimental muscle and skin pain.Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2007; 101: 172-176
- Association between a composite score of pain sensitivity and clinical parameters in low-back pain.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 831-838
- Intrarater reliability of pain intensity, tissue blood flow, thermal pain threshold, pressure pain threshold and lumbo-pelvic stability tests in subjects with low back pain.Asian J Sports Med. 2012; 3: 8-14
- Tender or not tender: test-retest repeatability of pressure pain thresholds in the trapezius and deltoid muscles of healthy women.J Rehabil Med. 2004; 36: 17-27
- Algometer reliability in measuring pain pressure threshold over normal spinal muscles to allow quantification of anti-nociceptive treatment effects.Int J Osteopath Med. 2006; 9: 113-119
- Reproducibility indices applied to cervical pressure pain threshold measurements in healthy subjects.Clin J Pain. 2004; 20: 341-347
- Applying concepts of generalizability theory on data from experimental pain studies to investigate reliability.Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2009; 105: 105-112
- The reproducibility of cephalic pain pressure thresholds in control subjects and headache patients.Cephalalgia Int J Headache. 1997; 17: 748-755
- Validity of pressure pain thresholds in female workers with and without recurrent low back pain.Eur Spine J. 2007; 16: 267-275
- Interobserver reproducibility of the assessment of severity of complaints, grip strength, and pressure pain threshold in patients with lateral epicondylitis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1145-1150
- Multi-modal and tissue-differentiated experimental pain assessment: Reproducibility of a new concept for assessment of analgesics.Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2006; 98: 201-211
- Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to Their Development and Use.Oxford University Press, Incorporated, 2003
- Pressure algometry in manual therapy.Man Ther. 1996; 1: 258-265
- Validity of an electronic pressure algometer.Int J Osteopathic Med. 2007; 10: 24-28
- Reliability, standard error, and minimum detectable change of clinical pressure pain threshold testing in people with and without acute neck pain.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011; 41: 644-650
- The reliability and validity of pain threshold measurements in osteoarthritis of the knee.Scand J Rheumatol. 1995; 24: 238-242
- Quantitative sensory testing.in: Gebhart G.F. Schmidt R.F. Encycl Pain [Internet]. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013: 3334-3339 ([cited 2015 Jan 4]. Available at:)
- Feasibility and reliability of pain pressure threshold measurements in patellar tendinopathy.J Sci Med Sport. 2011; 14: 477-481
- Test-retest reliability of quantitative sensory testing in knee osteoarthritis and healthy participants.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011; 19: 655-658
- Evaluation of repeatability of pressure algometry on the neck muscles for clinical use.Man Ther. 2007; 12: 192-197
The authors declare no conflict of interest in the preparation of this manuscript.