- •Machine learning models were used on data from fibromyalgia patients and controls.
- •We compared neuroimaging and self-report data as methods of group classification.
- •Self-report outperformed neuroimaging data for determining group membership.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Instance-based learning algorithms.Mach Learn. 1991; 6: 37-66
- Psychiatric problems in fibromyalgia: Clinical and neurobiological links between mood disorders and fibromyalgia.Reumatismo. 2012; 64: 268-274
- Pain and the brain: Specificity and plasticity of the brain in clinical chronic pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S49-S64
- Comparative analysis of classification algorithms on different datasets using WEKA.Int J Comput App. 2012; 54: 21-25
- Towards a physiology-based measure of pain: Patterns of human brain activity distinguish painful from non-painful thermal stimulation.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e24124
- A tool for classifying individuals with chronic back pain: Using multivariate pattern analysis with functional magnetic resonance imaging data.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e98007
- Whole brain segmentation: Automated labeling of neuroanatomical structures in the human brain.Neuron. 2002; 33: 341-355
- The WEKA data mining software: An update.ACM SIGKDD Explorations Newsletter. 2009; 11: 10-18
- MRI-derived measurements of human subcortical, ventricular and intracranial brain volumes: Reliability effects of scan sessions, acquisition sequences, data analyses, scanner upgrade, scanner vendors and field strengths.Neuroimage. 2009; 46: 177-192
- Improvements to Platt's SMO algorithm for SVM classifier design.Neural Comput. 2001; 13: 637-649
- An analysis of Bayesian classifiers.in: Proceedings of the National Conference on Artificial Intelligence. AAAI Press, San Jose, CA1992: 223-228
- Ridge estimators in logistic-regression.Appl Stat. 1992; 41: 191-201
- Test-retest reliability of pain-related brain activity in healthy controls undergoing experimental thermal pain.J Pain. 2014; 15: 1008-1014
- Biomarkers for chronic pain using functional brain connectivity.(Available at:)Accessed 2014)
- Using support vector machine to identify imaging biomarkers of neurological and psychiatric disease: A critical review.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2012; 36: 1140-1152
- Machine learning classifiers and fMRI: A tutorial overview.Neuroimage. 2009; 45: S199-S209
- Sequential minimal optimization: A fast algorithm for training support vector machines.1998 (MSR-TR-98–14)
- C4. 5: Programs for Machine Learning.Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc, San Mateo, CA1993
- Pain measurement and brain activity: Will neuroimages replace pain ratings?.J Pain. 2013; 14: 323-327
Singhi SK, Liu H: Feature subset selection bias for classification learning, in Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Machine Learning. NY, ACM, 2006, pp 849-856
- Diagnostic classification based on functional connectivity in chronic pain: Model optimization in fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis.Acad Radiol. 2014; 21: 369-377
- Multivariate classification of structural MRI data detects chronic low back pain.Cereb Cortex. 2014; 24: 1037-1044
- Bias in error estimation when using cross-validation for model selection.BMC Bioinformatics. 2006; 7: 91
- An fMRI-based neurologic signature of physical pain.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1388-1397
- How neuroimaging can help us to visualise and quantify pain?.Eur J Pain Suppl. 2011; 5: 323-327
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia: Report of the multicenter criteria committee.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 160-172
This research was supported by grants 5R01AT001424 and 5R01NS038767 from the National Institutes of Health. The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.