- •We collected ratings of pain and laser evoked potentials (LEPs) to investigate the interaction between visual analgesia and crossed-arms analgesia.
- •We found that vision of the affected body part in the crossed-arms position was associated with a significant reduction of pain reports.
- •However, we also found no analgesic effect of viewing the hand in an uncrossed position or of crossing the arms alone.
- •The effect of vision of the hand was indexed by an increase of late vertex LEP P2 amplitude.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Rapid enhancement of touch from non-informative vision of the hand.Neuropsychologia. 2012; 50: 1954-1960
- Unmyelinated trigeminal pathways as assessed by laser stimuli in humans.Brain. 2003; 126: 2246-2256
- EEGLAB: An open source toolbox for analysis of single-trial EEG dynamics including independent component analysis.J Neurosci Methods. 2004; 134: 9-21
- Pretest-posttest designs and measurement of change.Work. 2003; 20: 159-165
- An event-related brain potential study of cross-modal links in spatial attention between vision and touch.Psychophysiology. 2000; 37: 697-705
- The analgesic effect of crossing the arms.Pain. 2011; 152: 1418-1423
- Viewing a needle pricking a hand that you perceive as yours enhances unpleasantness of pain.Pain. 2012; 153: 1074-1081
- A novel approach for enhancing the signal-to-noise ratio and detecting automatically event-related potentials (ERPs) in single trials.Neuroimage. 2010; 50: 99-111
- The primary somatosensory cortex contributes to the latest part of the cortical response elicited by nociceptive somatosensory stimuli in humans.Neuroimage. 2014; 84: 383-393
- Removing electroencephalographic artifacts by blind source separation.Psychophysiology. 2000; 37: 163-178
- Noninformative vision improves the spatial resolution of touch in humans.Curr Biol. 2001; 11: 1188-1191
- Attentional modulation of the nociceptive processing into the human brain: Selective spatial attention, probability of stimulus occurrence, and target detection effects on laser evoked potentials.Pain. 2002; 99: 21-39
- Cognitive aspects of nociception and pain: Bridging neurophysiology with cognitive psychology.Clin Neurophysiol. 2012; 42: 325-336
- Visually induced analgesia: Seeing the body reduces pain.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 12125-12130
- Linking pain and the body: Neural correlates of visually induced analgesia.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 2601-2607
- Influence of gaze direction on crossmodal modulation of visual ERPS by endogenous tactile spatial attention.Brain Res Cogn Brain Res. 2005; 23: 406-417
- Changes in cortical oscillations linked to multisensory modulation of nociception.Eur J Neurosci. 2013; 37: 768-776
- Visual distortion of body size modulates pain perception.Psychol Sci. 2011; 22: 325-330
- Nonparametric statistical testing of EEG- and MEG-data.J Neurosci Methods. 2007; 164: 177-190
- Training with virtual visual feedback to alleviate phantom limb pain.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2009; 23: 587-594
- Across-trial averaging of event-related EEG responses and beyond.Magn Reson Imaging. 2008; 26: 1041-1054
- Analysis of covariance: Its model and use in psychological research.J Couns Psychol. 1987; 34: 383-392
- The use of visual feedback, in particular mirror visual feedback, in restoring brain function.Brain. 2009; 132: 1693-1710
- Analytic methods for questions pertaining to a randomized pretest, posttest, follow-up design.J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2003; 32: 467-486
- Novelty is not enough: Laser-evoked potentials are determined by stimulus saliency, not absolute novelty.J Neurophysiol. 2013; 109: 692-701
- Spatial discrimination thresholds for pain and touch in human hairy skin.Pain. 2001; 92: 187-194
- A re-examination of pain-cognition interactions: Implications for neuroimaging.Pain. 2007; 130: 8-13
- Change from baseline and analysis of covariance revisited.Stat Med. 2006; 25: 4334-4344
- Phantom limb pain: Mechanisms and treatment approaches.Pain Res Treat. 2011; 2011: 864605
- Equivalent electrical source analysis of pain-related somatosensory evoked potentials elicited by a CO2 laser.J Clin Neurophysiol. 1993; 10: 513-519
- Vision modulates somatosensory cortical processing.Curr Biol. 2002; 12: 233-236
- Crossing the line of pain: fMRI correlates of crossed-hands analgesia.J Pain. 2013; 14: 957-965
- The role of spatial attention in attentional control over pain: An experimental investigation.Exp Brain Res. 2011; 208: 269-275
- Reversal of subjective temporal order due to arm crossing.Nat Neurosci. 2001; 4: 759-765
S.M.A. is supported by EU Information and Communication Technologies Grant (VERE project, FP7-ICT-2009-5, Prot. Num. 257695) and the Italian Ministry of Health (and RF-2010-2312912).
The authors report no conflict of interest.