- •This is a reliable tool to measure elders' perceived promotion of autonomy/dependence when in pain.
- •Perceived promotion of autonomy and dependence are independent functions of formal social support.
- •Perceived promotion for autonomy is associated with higher physical functioning.
- •Perceived promotion for dependence is associated with lower physical functioning.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Bridging the gap between pain and gender research: A selective literature review.Eur J Pain. 2008; 12: 427-440
- Who women are, who women should be: Descriptive and prescriptive gender stereotyping in sex discrimination.Psychol Public Policy Law. 1999; 5: 665-692
- Construção e determinação das qualidades psicométricas do questionário de suporte social institucional na saúde (QSSIS).Laboratório de Psicologia. 2007; 5: 17-33
- Measurement of pain by subjective report.in: Chapmen C.R. Loeser J.D. Advances in Pain Research and Therapy. Raven Press, New York1989: 391-403
- Envejecimiento activo y desigualdades de género.Atención Primaria. 2008; 40: 305-309
- Stress, social support, and the buffering hypothesis.Psychol Bull. 1985; 98: 310-357
- Sorry wrong number: A reply to Gentile's call.Psychol Sci. 1993; 4: 125-126
- Pain coping and social support as predictors of long-term functional disability and pain in early rheumatoid arthritis.Behav Res Ther. 2003; 41: 1295-1310
- Criação da versão portuguesa do MOS SF-36. Parte I – Adaptação cultural e linguística.Acta Med Port. 2000; 13: 55-66
- Criação da versão portuguesa do MOS SF-36. Parte II – Testes de validação.Acta Med Port. 2000; 13: 119-127
- Pain evaluation and management in the nursing home.Ann Intern Med. 1995; 123: 681-687
- The functional autonomy measurement system (SMAF): A clinical-based instrument for measuring disabilities and handicaps in older people.Geriatr Today. 2001; 4: 141-147
- Pain in the elderly.in: Jensen T.S. Turner J.A. Proceedings of the VIIIth World Congress on Pain. IASP Press, Seattle1997: 919-944
- The epidemiology of pain in elderly people.Clin Geriatr Med. 2001; 17: 417-431
- Structural equation modelling: Guidelines for determining model fit.Electronic J Business Res Methods. 2008; 6: 53-60
- Cutoff criteria for fit indices in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives.Struct Equation Modeling. 1999; 6: 1-55
- The influence of family support on chronic pain.Behav Res Ther. 1990; 28: 283-287
- Hip fracture related pain strongly influences functional performance of patients with an intertrochanteric fracture upon discharge from the hospital.Am Acad Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 5: 135-141
- Physical and psychosocial predictors of functional trunk capacity in older adults with and without low back pain.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2012; 35: 338-345
- The fear- avoidance model of musculoskeletal pain: Current state of scientific evidence.J Behav Med. 2007; 30: 77-94
- Outline of a Fear-Avoidance Model of exaggerated pain perception—I.Behav Res Ther. 1983; 21: 401-408
- Social support in chronic pain: Development and preliminary psychometric assessment of a new instrument.J Oral Rehabil. 2012; 39: 270-276
- Análise de equações estruturais: fundamentos teóricos, software e aplicações.Report Number Lda: Pero Pinheiro. 2010;
- Posttraumatic stress symptoms and the diathesis-stress model of chronic pain and disability in patients undergoing major surgery.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 518-527
- The Portuguese Formal Social Support for Autonomy and Dependence in Pain Inventory (FSSADI_PAIN): A preliminary validation study.Br J Health Psychol. 2013; 18: 593-609
- Classification of Chronic Pain.IASP Press, Seattle1994
- Propriedade métrica da versão portuguesa da escala de suporte social do MOS (MOS social support survey) com idosos. Psicologia.Saúde Doença. 2009; 10: 163-174
- The timed “Up & Go”: A test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- Impact of pain on self-related health in the community-dwelling older adults.Pain. 2002; 95: 75-82
- Psychosocial contributions to sex-related differences in pain responses.in: Dworkin R.H. Breit-bart W.S. Psychosocial Aspects of Pain: A Handbook for Health Care Providers. IASP Press, Seattle2000: 41-68
- Reporting structural equation modeling and confirmatory factor analysis results: A review.J Educ Res. 2006; 99: 323-337
- Using Multivariate Statistics.Pearson, Boston2013
- The social support inventory (SSI): A brief scale to assess perceived adequacy of social support.Clin Psychol Psychother. 2000; 7: 401-410
- The epidemiology of chronic pain of predominantly neuropathic origin. Results from a general population survey.J Pain. 2006; 7: 281-289
- A diathesis-stress model of chronic pain and disability following traumatic injury.Pain Res Manag. 2002; 7: 9-20
- Effects of marital interaction on chronic pain and disability: Examining the down side of social support.Rehabil Psychol. 1992; 37: 259-275
- Does sex make a difference in the prescription of treatments and the adaptation to chronic pain by cancer and non-cancer patients?.Pain. 1999; 82: 139-148
- World Population Ageing 2013.Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, New York, United Nations2013
- The role of fear of movement/(re)injury in pain disability.J Occup Rehabil. 1995; 5: 235-252
- Factors associated with restricted mobility outside the home in community-dwelling adults ages fifty years and older with knee pain: An example of use of the International Classification of Functioning to investigate participation restriction.Arthritis Care Res. 2007; 57: 1381-1389
This study was funded by SFRH/BD/79145/2011 PhD grant from Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT).
There were no financial or other relationships that might lead to conflicts of interest in the development of this piece of research.