- •We examined the validity of patient impression of change ratings following an interdisciplinary treatment for chronic pain.
- •Global and domain-specific patient impression of change ratings loaded onto a single component.
- •Patient Global Impression of Change ratings were strongly influenced by patients' experienced improvements in physical activities and mood.
- •Both global and domain-specific impression of change ratings might be important to consider.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Health status as measured by SF-36 reflects changes and predicts outcome in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A 3-year follow up study in the general population.Pain. 2004; 108: 115-123
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2005; 113: 9-19
- Interpreting the clinical importance of treatment outcomes in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.J Pain. 2008; 9: 105-121
- Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale.Pain. 2001; 94: 149-158
- Contributions of change in clinical status parameters to Patient Global Impression of Change (PGIC) scores among persons with fibromyalgia treated with milnacipran.Pain. 2010; 149: 373-378
- Clinical Global Impression Scale. The ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology-Revised 338.US Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, MD1976: 218-222
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of acceptance and commitment therapy for adults with chronic pain: Outcome domains, design quality, and efficacy.J Context Behav Sci. 2014; 3: 217-227
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An Experiential Approach to Behavior Change.Guilford Press, New York1999
- What makes patients with fibromyalgia feel better? Correlations between Patient Global Impression of Improvement and changes in clinical symptoms and function: A pooled analysis of 4 randomized placebo-controlled trials of duloxetine.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 2517-2522
- The PHQ-9.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Choice of external criteria in back pain research: Does it matter? Recommendations based on analysis of responsiveness.Pain. 2007; 131: 112-120
- Contextual Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Chronic Pain.IASP Press, Seattle2005
- The psychological flexibility model: A basis for integration and progress in psychological approaches to chronic pain management.J Pain. 2014; 15: 221-234
- Acceptance of chronic pain: Component analysis and a revised assessment method.Pain. 2004; 107: 159-166
- Psychometric properties of chronic pain acceptance questionnaires: A systematic review.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 457-465
- Anger differentially mediates the relationship between perceived injustice and chronic pain outcomes.Pain. 2013; 154: 1691-1698
- Acceptance and values-based action in chronic pain: A study of treatment effectiveness and process.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2008; 76: 397
- The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): I. Conceptual framework and item selection.Med Care. 1992; 30: 473-483
- Physical functioning: Self-report and performance measures are related but distinct.Spine. 2003; 28: 2407-2413
W.S. is supported by the International Association for the Study of Pain John J. Bonica Trainee Fellowship grant.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest associated with this study.