- •A brief measure of perceived cognitive function in fibromyalgia was developed.
- •It is the Multidimensional Inventory of Subjective Cognitive Impairment (MISCI).
- •The 10-item MISCI demonstrated excellent internal consistency reliability.
- •The MISCI is normally distributed and has low rates of ceiling and floor effects.
- •The MISCI showed good construct validity in correlations with legacy measures.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A new look at the statistical model identification.IEEE Trans Automat Contr. 1974; 19: 716-723
- Patient perspectives on the impact of fibromyalgia.Patient Educ Couns. 2008; 73: 114-120
- Efficacy and safety of milnacipran 100 mg/day in patients with fibromyalgia: Results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Arthritis Rheum. 2010; 62: 2745-2756
- Minimal clinically important difference in the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 1304-1311
- The Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQR): Validation and psychometric properties.Arthritis Res Ther. 2009; 11: R120
- An internet survey of 2,596 people with fibromyalgia.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2007; 8: 27
- The Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire: Development and validation.J Rheumatol. 1991; 18: 728-733
- Convergent and discriminant validation by the multitrait-multimethod matrix.Psychol Bull. 1959; 56: 81-105
Cella D, Gershon R: Assessment Center user manual. Available at: http://www.assessmentcenter.net/ac1/AssessmentCenter_Manual.pdf. Accessed May 21, 2011
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) developed and tested its first wave of adult self-reported health outcome item banks: 2005-2008.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 1179-1194
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS): Progress of an NIH Roadmap cooperative group during its first two years.Med Care. 2007; 45: S3-S11
- Milnacipran for the treatment of fibromyalgia in adults: A 15-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multiple-dose clinical trial.Clin Ther. 2008; 30: 1988-2004
- Exploring the altered daily geographies and lifeworlds of women living with fibromyalgia syndrome: A mixed-method approach.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 64: 577-588
- “A giant mess”—Making sense of complexity in the accounts of people with fibromyalgia.Br J Health Psychol. 2013; 18: 763-781
- Disruption of cognitive function in fibromyalgia syndrome.Pain. 2008; 139: 610-616
Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire Revised (FIQR): Interpretation of FIQR results. Available at: http://fiqrinfo.ipage.com/Interpretation.htm
- The development of a clinical outcomes survey research application: Assessment Center(SM).Qual Life Res. 2010; 19: 677-685
- The use of PROMIS and Assessment Center to deliver patient-reported outcome measures in clinical research.J Appl Meas. 2010; 11: 304-314
- Memory beliefs and function in fibromyalgia patients.J Psychosom Res. 2005; 58: 263-269
- Concentration and memory deficits in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 1999; 21: 477-487
- Relationships between the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire, tender point count, and muscle strength in female patients with fibromyalgia: A cohort study.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 61: 732-739
- R: Past and Future History.The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand1988
- Postural control deficits in people with fibromyalgia: A pilot study.Arthritis Res Ther. 2011; 13: R127
- The prevalence and clinical impact of reported cognitive difficulties (Fibrofog) in patients with rheumatic disease with and without fibromyalgia.J Clin Rheumatol. 2004; 10: 53-58
- Distraction as a key determinant of impaired memory in patients with fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 2006; 33: 127-132
- Development of the Mental Clutter Scale.Psychol Rep. 2011; 109: 445-452
- Identifying the clinical domains of fibromyalgia: Contributions from clinician and patient Delphi exercises.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 952-960
- The efficacy and safety of milnacipran for treatment of fibromyalgia. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 398-409
- Comparing correlated correlation-coefficients.Psychol Bull. 1992; 111: 172-175
- Exercise in warm water decreases pain and improves cognitive function in middle-aged women with fibromyalgia.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2007; 25: 823-830
- Cognitive function in fibromyalgia patients.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 44: 2125-2133
Samejima F: Estimation of latent ability using a response pattern of graded scores. In: Psychometrika Monograph No 17, 1969
- ORDFAC: A Computer Program for Ordinal Factor Analysis.University of Michigan, Ann Arbor2005
- High-dimensional maximum marginal likelihood item factor analysis by adaptive quadrature.Psychometrika. 2005; 70: 1-23
- Estimating the dimension of a model.Ann Stat. 1978; 6: 461-464
- Development and validation of a Multiple Ability Self-Report Questionnaire.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 1994; 16: 93-104
- Assessment tools and outcome measures used in the investigation of fibromyalgia.in: Wallace D.J. Clauw D.J. Fibromyalgia & Other Central Pain Syndromes. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2005: 309-319
- Information processing in primary fibromyalgia, major depression and healthy controls.J Rheumatol. 1995; 22: 137-142
- Neuropsychological impairment in fibromyalgia—Relation to depression, fatigue, and pain.J Psychosom Res. 2003; 55: 321-329
- Are fibromyalgia patients cognitively impaired? Objective and subjective neuropsychological evidence.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015; 67: 143-150
- MULTILOG7: Multiple Category Item Analysis and Test Scoring Using Item Response Theory.Scientific Software International, Inc, Chicago2003
- Chemotherapy-related cognitive deficits: Development of the FACT-Cog instrument.Ann Behav Med. 2004; 27: S10
- Cognitive Function During Cancer Treatment: The FACT-Cog Study.Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, Chicago2005: 10-15
- Measures of fibromyalgia: Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ), Brief Pain Inventory (BPI), Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory (MFI-20), Medical Outcomes Study (MOS) Sleep Scale, and Multiple Ability Self-Report Questionnaire (MASQ).Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: S86-S97
- Perceived cognitive dysfunction in fibromyalgia syndrome.J Musculoskelet Pain. 2011; 19: 66-75
- Toward the identification of symptom patterns in people with fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 61: 527-534
- The prevalence and characteristics of fibromyalgia in the general population.Arthritis Rheum. 1995; 38: 19-28
Supported by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases under award number U01AR55069-01 (principal investigator: D.A.W.) and award number 1K01AR064275 (principal investigator: A.L.K.). These data were presented in abbreviated format as a scientific poster at the 34th Annual Meeting of the American Pain Society, May 13-16, 2015, in Palm Springs, CA.
The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to report.