- •We studied ketamine treatment–induced miRNA alterations in blood from patients with CRPS.
- •Differential miRNA expression was observed in whole blood before and after treatment.
- •Before therapy, 33 miRNAs differed between responders and poor responders.
- •Lower pretreatment levels of miR-548d-5p may contribute to higher UDP-GT activity.
- •Circulating miRNAs can be potential biomarkers in predicting treatment response.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Ketamine and rapid-acting antidepressants: a window into a new neurobiology for mood disorder therapeutics.Annu Rev Med. 2015; 66: 509-523
- Impact of microRNAs on the understanding and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2013; 25: 225-233
- Serum microRNA signatures in migraineurs during attacks and in pain-free periods.Mol Neurobiol. 2015; ([ePub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-015-9106-5
- MicroRNAs: target recognition and regulatory functions.Cell. 2009; 136: 215-233
- Profile of cerebrospinal microRNAs in fibromyalgia.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e78762
- Complex regional pain syndrome: a comprehensive and critical review.Autoimmun Rev. 2014; 13: 242-265
- Ketamine and chronic pain–going the distance.Pain. 2009; 145: 271
- An update on the pathophysiology of complex regional pain syndrome.Anesthesiology. 2010; 113: 713-725
- Subanesthetic ketamine infusion therapy: a retrospective analysis of a novel therapeutic approach to complex regional pain syndrome.Pain Med. 2004; 5: 263-275
- Population pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic modeling of ketamine-induced pain relief of chronic pain.Eur J Pain. 2011; 15: 258-267
- Circulating miRNAs as sensitive and specific biomarkers for the diagnosis and monitoring of human diseases: promises and challenges.Clin Biochem. 2013; 46: 846-860
- Current understandings on complex regional pain syndrome.Pain Pract. 2009; 9: 86-99
- Extracellular vesicles: biology and emerging therapeutic opportunities.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2013; 12: 347-357
- Elevated circulating miR-150 and miR-342-3p in patients with irritable bowel syndrome.Exp Mol Pathol. 2014; 96: 422-425
- Most mammalian mRNAs are conserved targets of microRNAs.Genome Res. 2009; 19: 92-105
- Deciphering microRNA code in pain and inflammation: lessons from bladder pain syndrome.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013; 70: 3773-3789
- Mechanism-based treatment in complex regional pain syndromes.Nat Rev Neurol. 2014; 10: 518-528
- Multi-day low dose ketamine infusion for the treatment of complex regional pain syndrome.Pain Physician. 2005; 8: 175-179
- Pharmacodynamic profiles of ketamine (R)- and (S)- with 5-day inpatient infusion for the treatment of complex regional pain syndrome.Pain Physician. 2010; 13: 379-387
- Enantioselective pharmacokinetics of (R)- and (S)-ketamine after a 5-day infusion in patients with complex regional pain syndrome.Chirality. 2011; 23: 138-143
- miRBase: microRNA sequences, targets and gene nomenclature.Nucleic Acids Res. 2006; 34: D140-D144
- Validation of proposed diagnostic criteria (the “Budapest Criteria”) for complex regional pain syndrome.Pain. 2010; 150: 268-274
- Pharmacokinetics and haemodynamics of ketamine in intensive care patients with brain or spinal cord injury.Br J Anaesth. 2003; 90: 155-160
- Contribution of CYP3A4, CYP2B6, and CYP2C9 isoforms to N-demethylation of ketamine in human liver microsomes.Drug Metab Dispos. 2002; 30: 853-858
- Efficacy of ketamine in anesthetic dosage for the treatment of refractory complex regional pain syndrome: an open-label phase II study.Pain Med. 2008; 9: 1173-1201
- The neurocognitive effects of 5 day anesthetic ketamine for the treatment of refractory complex regional pain syndrome.Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2007; 22: 719-729
- Can the pharmaceutical industry reduce attrition rates?.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2004; 3: 711-715
- Comparative pharmacology in the rat of ketamine and its two principal metabolites, norketamine and (Z)-6-hydroxynorketamine.J Med Chem. 1986; 29: 2396-2399
- Identifying miRNAs, targets and functions.Brief Bioinform. 2014; 15: 1-19
- Nomenclature update for the mammalian UDP glycosyltransferase (UGT) gene superfamily.Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2005; 15: 677-685
- Complex regional pain syndromes: new pathophysiological concepts and therapies.Eur J Neurol. 2010; 17: 649-660
- MicroRNA biology and pain.in: Theodore J.P. Gregory D. Progress in Molecular Biology and Translational Science. Academic Press, London2015: 215-249
- Functional significance of macrophage-derived exosomes in inflammation and pain.Pain. 2014; 155: 1527-1539
- MicroRNAs in stress signaling and human disease.Cell. 2012; 148: 1172-1187
- D-serine plasma concentration is a potential biomarker of (R,S)-ketamine antidepressant response in subjects with treatment-resistant depression.Psychopharmacology. 2015; 232: 399-409
- A parallel chiral-achiral liquid chromatographic method for the determination of the stereoisomers of ketamine and ketamine metabolites in the plasma and urine of patients with complex regional pain syndrome.Talanta. 2010; 82: 1892-1904
- Interventions for treating pain and disability in adults with complex regional pain syndrome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; : CD009416
- The role of microRNAs in endometriosis and associated reproductive conditions.Hum Reprod Update. 2010; 16: 142-165
- MicroRNA modulation in complex regional pain syndrome.J Transl Med. 2011; 9: 195
- Shank3 as a potential biomarker of antidepressant response to ketamine and its neural correlates in bipolar depression.J Affect Disord. 2015; 172: 307-311
- (R,S)-Ketamine metabolites (R,S)-norketamine and (2S,6S)-hydroxynorketamine increase the mammalian target of rapamycin function.Anesthesiology. 2014; 121: 149-159
- Common features of microRNA target prediction tools.Front Genet. 2014; 5: 23
- Advances in translational neuropathic research: example of enantioselective pharmacokinetic–pharmacodynamic modeling of ketamine-induced pain relief in complex regional pain syndrome.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2011; 15: 207-214
- Topical and peripheral ketamine as an analgesic.Anesth Analg. 2014; 119: 170-178
- Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative C(T) method.Nat Protoc. 2008; 3: 1101-1108
- A miRNA-tRNA mix-up: tRNA origin of proposed miRNA.RNA Biol. 2010; 7: 573-576
- The use of ketamine in complex regional pain syndrome: possible mechanisms.Expert Rev Neurother. 2011; 11: 719-734
- Outpatient intravenous ketamine for the treatment of complex regional pain syndrome: a double-blind placebo controlled study.Pain. 2009; 147: 107-115
- The natural history of complex regional pain syndrome.Clin J Pain. 2009; 25: 273-280
- MicroRNAs–novel regulators of systemic lupus erythematosus pathogenesis.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2012; 8: 701-709
- Ketamine produces effective and long-term pain relief in patients with complex regional pain syndrome type 1.Pain. 2009; 145: 304-311
- What is hydroxynorketamine and what can it bring to neurotherapeutics?.Expert Rev Neurother. 2014; 14: 1239-1242
- CYP3A4 catalytic activity is induced in confluent Huh7 hepatoma cells.Drug Metab Dispos. 2010; 38: 995-1002
- Functional transfer of microRNA by exosomes.Blood. 2012; 119: 646-648
- What are biomarkers?.Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2010; 5: 463-466
- Use of human microsomes and deuterated substrates: an alternative approach for the identification of novel metabolites of ketamine by mass spectrometry.Drug Metab Dispos. 2009; 37: 1769-1778
- Effects of ketamine on human UDP-glucuronosyltransferases in vitro predict potential drug-drug interactions arising from ketamine inhibition of codeine and morphine glucuronidation.Drug Metab Dispos. 2011; 39: 1324-1328
- A pilot study of plasma metabolomic patterns from patients treated with ketamine for bipolar depression: evidence for a response-related difference in mitochondrial networks.Br J Pharmacol. 2014; 171: 2230-2242
- Circulating MicroRNA biomarker studies: pitfalls and potential solutions.Clin Chem. 2015; 61: 56-63
- Stimulating the development of mechanism-based, individualized pain therapies.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2007; 6: 703-710
- Serum interleukin-6 is a predictive biomarker for ketamine’s antidepressant effect in treatment-resistant patients with major depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2015; 77: e19-e20
- Relationship of ketamine's plasma metabolites with response, diagnosis, and side effects in major depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 72: 331-338
- Simultaneous population pharmacokinetic modelling of ketamine and three major metabolites in patients with treatment-resistant bipolar depression.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012; 74: 304-314
S.R.D. and B.B.S. contributed equally to this work.
This study was supported by funds from a Rita Allen Foundation grant to S.K.A. B.B.S. is a recipient of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program Fellowship funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. The authors report no disclosures. This study was not industry sponsored.