- •Although race shapes the experience of pain in adults, less is known about youth.
- •Conditioned pain modulation (CPM) may be a risk factor for chronic pain.
- •CPM to evoked thermal pain was assessed in 78 healthy youth.
- •Stronger CPM effects were observed in African Americans than in non-Hispanic whites.
- •Results suggest no CPM impairment in African American youth.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Structure and stress: trajectories of depressive symptoms across adolescence and young adulthood.Soc Forces. 2009; 88: 31
- Reference values for quantitative sensory testing in children and adolescents: developmental and gender differences of somatosensory perception.Pain. 2010; 149: 76-88
- Stress trajectories, health behaviors, and the mental health of black and white young adults.Soc Sci Med. 2011; 72: 1659-1666
- Hierarchical Linear Models. Applications and Data Analysis Methods.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA1992
- Ethnic differences in diffuse noxious inhibitory controls.J Pain. 2008; 9: 759-766
- Noxious inhibition of temporal summation is impaired in chronic tension-type headache.Headache. 2010; 50: 403-412
- Functional assessment of pediatric pain patients: psychometric properties of the Functional Disability Inventory.Pain. 2006; 121: 77-84
- Socioeconomic status, race, and diurnal cortisol decline in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study.Psychosom Med. 2006; 68: 41-50
- The child version of the pain catastrophizing scale (PSC-C): a preliminary validation.Pain. 2003; 104: 639-646
- Racial and ethnic differences in older adults with knee osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2014; 66: 1800-1810
- Are reports of childhood abuse related to the experience of chronic pain in adulthood? A meta-analytic review of the literature.Clin J Pain. 2005; 21: 398-405
- Racial/ethnic differences in cortisol diurnal rhythms in a community sample of adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 2007; 41: 3-13
- Ethnic differences in pain tolerance: clinical implications in a chronic pain population.Psychosom Med. 2001; 63: 316-323
- Ethnic differences in thermal pain responses.Psychosom Med. 1999; 61: 346-354
- Age-related differences in endogenous pain modulation: a comparison of DNIC in healthy older and younger adults.Pain. 2003; 101: 155-165
- Individual differences in diffuse noxious inhibitory controls (DNIC): association with clinical variables.Pain. 2003; 106: 427-437
- Quantitative assessment of experimental pain perception: multiple domains of clinical relevance.Pain. 2005; 114: 315-319
- Headache, stomachache, backache, and morning fatigue among adolescent girls in the United States.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 797-803
- Testing the relation between dispositional optimism and conditioned pain modulation: does ethnicity matter?.J Behav Med. 2013; 36: 165-174
- Patient attitudes regarding healthcare utilization and referral: a descriptive comparison in African- and Caucasian Americans with chronic pain.J Natl Med Assoc. 2004; 96: 31-42
- Central processing of noxious somatic stimuli in patients with irritable bowel syndrome compared with healthy controls.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 104-109
- An item response analysis of the pediatric PROMIS anxiety and depressive symptoms scales.Qual Life Res. 2010; 19: 595-607
- Diffuse noxious inhibitory control. Reappraisal by pain-related somatosensory evoked potentials following CO2 laser stimulation.J Neurol Sci. 1994; 125: 198-205
- Deficiency in endogenous modulation of prolonged heat pain in patients with irritable bowel syndrome and temporomandibular disorder.Pain. 2009; 143: 172-178
- Modulatory influence on somatosensory perception from vibration and heterotopic noxious conditioning stimulation (HNCS) in fibromyalgia patients and healthy subjects.Pain. 1997; 70: 41-51
- Changes in pain perception and descending inhibitory controls start at middle age in healthy adults.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 506-510
- Possible deficiencies of pain modulation in fibromyalgia.Clin J Pain. 1997; 13: 189-196
- Somatosensory perception in a remote pain-free area and function of diffuse noxious inhibitory controls (DNIC) in patients suffering from long-term trapezius myalgia.Eur J Pain. 2002; 6: 149-159
- Somatosensory perception and function of diffuse noxious inhibitory controls (DNIC) in patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.Eur J Pain. 2002; 6: 161-176
- Analysis of meaningful conditioned pain modulation effect in a pain-free adult population.J Pain. 2014; 15: 1190-1198
- Multiethnic differences in responses to laboratory pain stimuli among children.Health Psychol. 2013; 32: 905-914
- Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls.Arch Dis Child. 1969; 44: 291-303
- Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in boys.Arch Dis Child. 1970; 45: 13-23
- Racial and ethnic differences in diurnal cortisol rhythms in preadolescents: the role of parental psychosocial risk and monitoring.Horm Behav. 2012; 61: 661-668
- Diffuse noxious inhibitory control is delayed in chronic fatigue syndrome: an experimental study.Pain. 2009; 139: 439-448
- Thermal and vibration sensation and thermal pain detection thresholds in healthy children and adolescents.Muscle Nerve. 2001; 24: 1339-1345
- Race effects on temporal summation to heat pain in youth.Pain. 2015; 156: 917-922
- Impairment of pain inhibition in chronic tension-type headache.Pain. 2005; 118: 215-223
- Racial/ethnic and gender prevalence in reported common pains in a national sample.J Orofac Pain. 2011; 25: 25-31
- No relationship between the ins del polymorphism of the serotonin transporter promoter and pain perception in fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 742-746
- The methodology of experimentally induced diffuse noxious inhibitory control (DNIC)-like effect in humans.Pain. 2009; 144: 16-19
- A quantitative review of ethnic group differences in experimental pain response: do biology, psychology, and culture matter?.Pain Med. 2012; 13: 522-540
- HLM 6: Hierarchical Linear and Nonlinear Modeling.Scientific Software International, Lincoln, IL2004
- Prevalence and predictors of headaches in US adolescents.Headache. 2000; 40: 528-538
- Age and race effects on pain sensitivity and modulation among middle-aged and older adults.J Pain. 2014; 15: 272-282
- Lack of endogenous modulation but delayed decay of prolonged heat pain in older adults.Pain. 2010; 150: 153-160
- Racial/ethnic differences in the experience of chronic pain.Pain. 2002; 100: 291-298
- An upside to adversity? Moderate cumulative lifetime adversity is associated with resilient responses in the face of controlled stressors.Psychol Sci. 2013; 24: 1181-1189
- Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence.Oxford University Press, New York, NY2003
- Allostasis model facilitates understanding race differences in the diurnal cortisol rhythm.Dev Psychopathol. 2011; 23: 1167-1186
- The pain catastrophizing scale: development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Meta-analysis and meta-regression of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity in functional somatic disorders.Biol Psychol. 2011; 87: 183-194
- Conditioned pain modulation in children and adolescents: effects of sex and age.J Pain. 2013; 14: 558-567
- Time dependent differences in pain sensitivity during unilateral ischemic pain provocation in healthy volunteers.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 225-232
- Perspective on diffuse noxious inhibitory controls as a model of endogenous pain modulation in clinical pain syndromes.J Pain. 2010; 11: 408-419
- The Children’s Somatization Inventory: psychometric properties of the revised form (CSI-24).J Pediatr Psychol. 2009; 234: 430-440
- Functional abdominal pain in childhood and adolescence increases risk for chronic pain in adulthood.Pain. 2010; 150: 568-572
- The Functional Disability Inventory: measuring a neglected dimension of child health status.J Pediatr Psychol. 1991; 16: 39-58
- Age-related differences in the endogenous analgesic response to repeated cold water immersion in human volunteers.Pain. 2000; 89: 89-96
- Brain functional magnetic resonance imaging of rectal pain and activation of endogenous inhibitory mechanisms in irritable bowel syndrome patient subgroups and healthy controls.Gut. 2004; 53: 1595-1601
- Conditioned pain modulation (the diffuse noxious inhibitory control-like effect): its relevance for acute and chronic pain states.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2010; 23: 611-615
- Recommendations on practice of conditioned pain modulation (CPM) testing.Eur J Pain. 2014; 14: 339
- Prediction of chronic post-operative pain: pre-operative DNIC testing identifies patients at risk.Pain. 2008; 138: 22-28
Research was funded in part by grants from the National Institute of Health (UL1 RR024975/TR000445, U54 RR026140/MD007593, G12 RR003032/MD007586, R01 MH068391, K01 MH101403, RO1 DA017805, R24 DA021471, R01 DA031726, R01 DA037891, R01 HD23264), by NICHD Grant P30HD15052 to the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Research on Human Development, by the Endowed Chair in Brain and Behavior Research at Meharry Medical College (U.R.), and by the Betsey R. Bush Endowed Professorship in Behavioral Health at the University of Tennessee (U.R.). These funding agencies had no further role in the study design, data collection, analysis or interpretation of data, writing of the report, or the decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
The authors report no conflicts of interest.