- •Corneal injury produced an increased sensitivity to light (photophobia).
- •Tetrodotoxin and lidocaine had no effect on light-aversive behavior in normal control rats.
- •Tetrodotoxin and lidocaine both eliminated photophobia in rats with corneal injury.
- •Because of lidocaine corneal toxicity, topical tetrodotoxin may be a safer therapeutic option.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Neural basis of sensation in intact and injured corneas.Exp Eye Res. 2004; 78: 513-525
- Phototransduction in ganglion-cell photoreceptors.Pflugers Arch. 2007; 454: 849-855
- Involvement of trigeminal ganglionic Nav 1.7 in hyperalgesia of inflamed temporomandibular joint is dependent on ERK1/2 phosphorylation of glial cells in rats.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 983-994
- Optical problems following refractive surgery.Ophthalmology. 1986; 93: 739-745
- Concentration-dependent effects of lidocaine on corneal epithelial wound healing.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1992; 33: 3029-3033
- Isolated photophobia as a presenting symptom of spontaneous subarachnoid hemorrhage.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014; 122: 138-139
- Release of neuronotrophic factor from rabbit corneal epithelium during wound healing and nerve regeneration.Exp Eye Res. 1987; 45: 633-646
- The role of corneal innervation in LASIK-induced neuropathic dry eye.Ocul Surf. 2014; 12: 32-45
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.in: 8th ed. The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- The Na(V)1.7 sodium channel: from molecule to man.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2013; 14: 49-62
- Shedding light on photophobia.J Neuroophthalmol. 2012; 32: 68-81
- Topical anesthetic eye drops abuse: are we aware of the danger?.Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2013; 32: 189-193
- Impulse activity in corneal sensory nerve fibers after photorefractive keratectomy.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007; 48: 4033-4037
- Historical perspective on effects and treatment of sulfur mustard injuries.Chem Biol Interact. 2013; 206: 512-522
- Evidence for TRPA1 involvement in central neural mechanisms in a rat model of dry eye.Neuroscience. 2015; 290: 204-213
- Differential anti-neuropathic pain effects of tetrodotoxin in sciatic nerve- versus infraorbital nerve-ligated rats–behavioral, pharmacological and immunohistochemical investigations.Neuropharmacology. 2010; 58: 474-487
- Structure and functional expression of a new member of the tetrodotoxin-sensitive voltage-activated sodium channel family from human neuroendocrine cells.EMBO J. 1995; 14: 1084-1090
- Sodium channelopathies and pain.Pflugers Arch. 2010; 460: 249-263
- Low dose of tetrodotoxin reduces neuropathic pain behaviors in an animal model.Brain Res. 2000; 871: 98-103
- Direct optic nerve pulvinar connections defined by diffusion MR tractography in humans: implications for photophobia.Hum Brain Mapp. 2012; 33: 75-88
- Toxicities of topical ophthalmic anesthetics.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2007; 6: 637-640
- Herpes simplex virus 2 meningitis: a retrospective cohort study.J Neurovirol. 2013; 19: 166-171
- Evaluation of behavior and expression of NaV1.7 in dorsal root ganglia after sciatic nerve compression and application of nucleus pulposus in rats.Eur Spine J. 2014; 23: 463-468
- Tetrodotoxin (TTX) as a therapeutic agent for pain.Mar Drugs. 2012; 10: 281-305
- A neural mechanism for exacerbation of headache by light.Nat Neurosci. 2010; 13: 239-245
- Bright light activates a trigeminal nociceptive pathway.Pain. 2010; 149: 235-242
- Trigeminal interpolaris/caudalis transition neurons mediate reflex lacrimation evoked by bright light in the rat.Eur J Neurosci. 2012; 36: 3492-3499
- Distinct central representations for sensory fibers innervating either the conjunctiva or cornea of the rat.Exp Eye Res. 2010; 90: 388-396
- Toxicity of topical ophthalmic anesthetics.Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2013; 9: 983-988
- Host defense at the ocular surface.Int Rev Immunol. 2013; 32: 4-18
- Cytotoxicity of local anesthetics in human neuronal cells.Anesth Analg. 2009; 108: 997-1007
- The dazzle reflex: electrophysiological signals from ocular muscles reveal strong binocular summation effects.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2006; 26: 318-325
- Are signs and symptoms associated with persistent corneal abrasions in children?.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2000; 154: 370-374
- The corneal pain system. Part I: the missing piece of the dry eye puzzle.Ocul Surf. 2012; 10: 2-14
- Clinical characteristics of a large cohort of patients with scleritis and episcleritis.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 43-50
- Tetrodotoxin: anesthetic activity in the de-epithelialized cornea.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 1998; 236: 790-794
- Experimental study of tetrodotoxin, a long-acting topical anesthetic.Am J Ophthalmol. 1998; 125: 481-487
- Diagnosis and classification of autoimmune uveitis.Autoimmun Rev. 2014; 13: 591-594
- What are the visual benefits of eyelid squinting?.Optom Vis Sci. 2003; 80: 740-744
- Sodium channel Na(v)1.7 is essential for lowering heat pain threshold after burn injury.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 10819-10832
- Post-LASIK dry eye.Expert Rev Ophthalmol. 2011; 6: 575-582
- Regeneration of rat corneal epithelium is delayed by the inhibitory epidermal pentapeptide (EPP).Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 1996; 74: 361-363
- Neuropathic pain: early spontaneous afferent activity is the trigger.Pain. 2005; 116: 243-256
- Cytotoxicity of lidocaine to human corneal endothelial cells in vitro.Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2014; 114: 352-359
This work was supported by a grant from the University of California at San Francisco Academic Senate Committee on Research and National Institutes of Health grant NS085831.
The authors report no conflicts of interest.