- •Several cross-sectional studies have reported a common comorbidity between depression and fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS).
- •However, a bidirectional temporal association between these 2 distinct diseases has rarely been investigated.
- •Our results supported a bidirectional temporal association between depression and FMS that each disease occurring first may increase the risk of the other subsequently.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Consensus Statement on the Primary Care Management of Depression from the International Consensus Group on Depression and Anxiety.J Clin Psychiatry. 1999; 60: 54-61
- Characteristics and healthcare costs of patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.Int J Clin Pract. 2007; 61: 1498-1508
- Comorbidity of fibromyalgia and psychiatric disorders.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2007; 11: 333-338
- Longitudinal relationships between anxiety, depression, and pain: results from a two-year cohort study of lower extremity trauma patients.Pain. 2013; 154: 2860-2866
- Allergic rhinitis in adolescence increases the risk of depression in later life: a nationwide population-based prospective cohort study.J Affect Disord. 2013; 145: 49-53
- Risk of stroke among patients with post-traumatic stress disorder: nationwide longitudinal study.Br J Psychiatry. 2015; 206: 302-307
- A meta-analysis of cytokines in major depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 446-457
- Fibromyalgia and psychiatric disorders.Acta Biomed. 2007; 78: 88-95
- Prognostic factors for the development of fibromyalgia in women with self-reported musculoskeletal pain. a prospective study.J Rheumatol. 1999; 26: 2458-2467
- Pain, not chronic disease, is associated with the recurrence of depressive and anxiety disorders.BMC Psychiatry. 2014; 14: 187
- Fibromyalgia and depression.Pain Res Treat. 2012; 2012: 486590
- Cytokines and depression in cases with fibromyalgia.J Rheumatol. 2002; 29: 358-361
- A longitudinal study to explain the pain-depression link in older adults with osteoarthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: 1382-1390
- The relationship between fibromyalgia and major depressive disorder.Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 1996; 22: 285-303
- Reciprocal relationship between pain and depression: a 12-month longitudinal analysis in primary care.J Pain. 2011; 12: 964-973
- Depressive and distress symptoms as predictors of low back pain, neck-shoulder pain, and other musculoskeletal morbidity: a 10-year follow-up of metal industry employees.Pain. 1993; 53: 89-94
- Association between antidepressant resistance in unipolar depression and subsequent bipolar disorder: cohort study.Br J Psychiatry. 2012; 200: 45-51
- Pain and depression comorbidity: a preclinical perspective.Behav Brain Res. 2015; 276: 92-98
- Interleukin (IL)-6, tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) and soluble interleukin-2 receptors (SIL-2R) are elevated in patients with major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis and meta-regression.J Affect Disord. 2012; 139: 230-239
- Chronic musculoskeletal pain and depressive symptoms in the National Health and Nutrition Examination. I. Epidemiologic follow-up study.Pain. 1993; 53: 163-168
- Prospective study on the relationship between depressive symptoms and chronic musculoskeletal pain.Pain. 1994; 56: 289-297
- Neurobiology of depression, fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain.Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2009; 14: 5291-5338
- The amygdala and persistent pain.Neuroscientist. 2004; 10: 221-234
- The relationship between fibromyalgia and major depressive disorder: a comprehensive review.Curr Med Res Opin. 2008; 24: 2359-2371
- Fibromyalgia and cytokines.Immunol Lett. 2014; 161: 200-203
- Risk of Parkinson disease after depression: a nationwide population-based study.Neurology. 2013; 81: 1538-1544
- Psychiatric disorders in fibromyalgia.Am J Psychiatry. 1986; 143: 812-813
- Comorbid depression and anxiety in fibromyalgia syndrome: relationship to somatic and psychosocial variables.Psychosom Med. 2004; 66: 837-844
- Fibromyalgia among major depression disorder females compared to males.Rheumatol Int. 2008; 28: 831-836
- Circulating cytokine levels compared to pain in patients with fibromyalgia–a prospective longitudinal study over 6 months.J Rheumatol. 2008; 35: 1366-1370
- On the role of cytokines in patients with back pain and fibromyalgia.Schmerz. 2010; 24: 276-278
- The incidence of fibromyalgia and its associated comorbidities: a population-based retrospective cohort study based on International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision codes.J Clin Rheumatol. 2006; 12: 124-128
- Prevalence and impact of depression and pain in neurology outpatients.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003; 74: 1587-1589
- The effect of laboratory-induced depressed mood state on responses to pain.Behav Med. 2002; 28: 23-31
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 Criteria for the Classification of Fibromyalgia. Report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 160-172
The study was supported by a grant from Taipei Veterans General Hospital (V103E10-001).
All authors have no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose. All authors declare no conflict of interest.