- •Patients with chronic pain were clustered in 4 subgroups according to their pain acceptance levels.
- •Each pain acceptance cluster was significantly associated with patterns of functioning.
- •Both versions of the Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire (CPAQ-20 and CPAQ-8) are useful instruments to identify cluster membership.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Validation of the Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire-8 in an Australian pain clinic sample.Int J Behav Med. 2012; 21: 177-185
- Reliability and factor structure of the Multidimensional Pain Inventory–Swedish Language Version (MPI-S).Pain. 1998; 75: 101-110
- A psychometric evaluation of the Swedish version of the Multidimensional Pain Inventory (MPI-S): a gender differentiated evaluation.Eur J Pain. 1999; 3: 261-273
- Survey of chronic pain in Europe: prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatment.Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 287-333
- Psychological acceptance and quality of life in the elderly.Qual Life Res. 2007; 16: 607-615
- Pain-related fear is more disabling than pain itself: evidence on the role of pain-related fear in chronic back pain disability.Pain. 1999; 80: 329-339
- Interpreting the clinical importance of treatment outcomes in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.J Pain. 2008; 9: 105-121
- An assessment of the relative influence of pain coping, negative thoughts about pain, and pain acceptance on health-related quality of life among people with hemophilia.Pain. 2009; 145: 169-175
- Identifying groups: a comparison of methodologies.J Data Sci. 2011; 9: 293-310
- Willing and able: a closer look at pain willingness and activity engagement on the Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire (CPAQ-8).J Pain. 2013; 14: 233-245
- Validation of the chronic pain acceptance questionnaire (CPAQ) in an Internet sample and development and preliminary validation of the CPAQ-8.Pain. 2010; 149: 435-443
- A comparison of acceptance-focused and control-focused psychological treatments in a chronic pain treatment center.University of Nevada, Reno, NV1992: ix, 287
- Psychometric properties of the Spanish version of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia (TSK).J Pain. 2011; 12: 425-435
- Epidemiology of chronic pain in Denmark and Sweden.Pain Res Treat. 2012; 2012: 371248
- Fear-avoidance and endurance-related responses to pain: new models of behavior and their consequences for clinical practice.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 747-753
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Norwegian version of the Tampa scale for kinesiophobia.Spine. 2008; 33: E595-E601
- Contextual behavioral science: creating a science more adequate to the challenge of the human condition.J Contextual Behav Sci. 2012; 1: 1-16
- Acceptance and commitment therapy and contextual behavioral science: examining the progress of a distinctive model of behavioral and cognitive therapy.Behav Ther. 2013; 44: 180-198
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: The Process and Practice of Mindful Change.Guilford Press, New York2012
- Experiential avoidance and problem behavior: a mediational analysis.Behav Modif. 2010; 34: 145-163
- The impact of treatment components suggested by the psychological flexibility model: a meta-analysis of laboratory-based component studies.Behav Ther. 2012; 43: 741-756
- Examining psychological inflexibility as a transdiagnostic process across psychological disorders.J Contextual Behav Sci. 2014; 3: 155-163
- Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HAD): some psychometric data for a Swedish sample.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1997; 96: 281-286
- Testing the number of components in a normal mixture.Biometrika. 2001; 88: 767-778
- A psychometric evaluation of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia - from a physiotherapeutic perspective.Physiother Theory Pract. 2004; 20: 121-133
- Committed action: an application of the psychological flexibility model to activity patterns in chronic pain.J Pain. 2013; 14: 828-835
- Acceptance and change in the context of chronic pain.Pain. 2004; 109: 4-7
- Further development in the assessment of psychological flexibility: a shortened Committed Action Questionnaire (CAQ-8).Eur J Pain. 2014; 19: 677-685
- A prospective study of acceptance of pain and patient functioning with chronic pain.Pain. 2005; 118: 164-169
- The role of mindfulness in a contextual cognitive-behavioral analysis of chronic pain-related suffering and disability.Pain. 2007; 131: 63-69
- Treatment for chronic pain for adults in the seventh and eighth decades of life: a preliminary study of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).Pain Med. 2012; 13: 860-867
- The psychological flexibility model: a basis for integration and progress in psychological approaches to chronic pain management.J Pain. 2014; 15: 221-234
- Behavioral dimensions of adjustment in persons with chronic pain: pain-related anxiety and acceptance.Pain. 1999; 80: 283-289
- Psychological flexibility and traditional pain management strategies in relation to patient functioning with chronic pain: an examination of a revised instrument.J Pain. 2007; 8: 700-707
- Acceptance and commitment therapy and mindfulness for chronic pain: model, process, and progress.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 178-187
- Acceptance of chronic pain: component analysis and a revised assessment method.Pain. 2004; 107: 159-166
- Acceptance-based treatment for persons with complex, long standing chronic pain: a preliminary analysis of treatment outcome in comparison to a waiting phase.Behav Res Ther. 2005; 43: 1335-1346
- Finite Mixture Models.Wiley, New York2000
Miller R, Kori S, Todd D. The Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia. Unpublished report. Tampa, FL, 1991.
- Bayesian structural equation modeling: a more flexible representation of substantive theory.Psychol Methods. 2012; 17: 313-335
- Mplus Users Guide (Version 7).Muthén & Muthén, Los Angeles, CA2012
- Annual report 2015:1, Swedish National Quality Register of Pain Rehabilitation (SQRP) [Årsrapport 2015:1 Nationella Registret över Smärtrehabilitering]. 2015. Nationella Registret över Smärtrehabilitering, Sweden2015
- Deciding on the number of classes in latent class analysis and growth mixture modeling: a Monte Carlo simulation study.Struct Equ Modeling. 2007; 14: 535-569
- Psychological factors and treatment opportunities in low back pain.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2013; 27: 625-635
- Psychometric properties of Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaires: a systematic review.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 457-465
- Fear of movement and (re)injury in chronic musculoskeletal pain: evidence for an invariant two-factor model of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia across pain diagnoses and Dutch, Swedish, and Canadian samples.Pain. 2007; 131: 181-190
- Indicators for Behavioral Pain Rehabilitation: Impact and Predictive Value on Assessment, Patient Selection, Treatment and Outcome.Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Clinical Neuroscience and Rehabilitation, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden2014: 76 s (ISBN: 978-991-628-9012-9014 e-book. 9978-9091-9628-9003-9012 (paper print))
- Psychometric properties of the 8-item Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire (CPAQ-8) in a Swedish chronic pain cohort.J Rehabil Med. 2014; 46: 73-80
- A review of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) empirical evidence: correlational, experimental psychopathology, component and outcome studies.Int J Psychol Psychol Ther. 2010; 10: 125-162
- Fear of movement/(re)injury in low back pain: confirmatory validation of a German version of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 280
- The empirically supported status of acceptance and commitment therapy: an update.Clin Psychol. 2012; 16: 97-109
- The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2003; 1: 29
SQRP, Swedish Quality Registry for Pain Rehabilitation. In Swedish: Nationella Registret över Smärtrehabilitering, NRS, Vol. 2015, 2015.
- Behavioral and neuronal investigations of hypervigilance in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e35068
- Towards a comprehensive assessment of chronic pain patients.Behav Res Ther. 1987; 25: 237-249
- Toward an empirically derived taxonomy of chronic pain patients: integration of psychological assessment data.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1988; 56: 233-238
- Fear of movement in cancer survivors: validation of the modified Tampa scale of kinesiophobia-fatigue.Psycho-Oncology. 2012; 21: 762-770
- Fear of movement/(re)injury in chronic low back pain and its relation to behavioral performance.Pain. 1995; 62: 363-372
- The Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire: confirmatory factor analysis and identification of patient subgroups.Pain. 2008; 140: 284-291
- Likelihood ratio tests for model selection and non-nested hypotheses.Econometrica. 1989; 57: 307-333
- The role of parent psychological flexibility in relation to adolescent chronic pain: further instrument development.J Pain. 2015; 16: 235-246
- Evaluating the effectiveness of exposure and acceptance strategies to improve functioning and quality of life in longstanding pediatric pain - a randomized controlled trial.Pain. 2009; 141: 248-257
- The Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire (CPAQ) - further validation including a confirmatory factor analysis and a comparison with the Tampa Scale of Kinesiophobia.Eur J Pain. 2008; 13: 760-768
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 1983; 67: 361-370
The present study was partly supported by grants from the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR) and from the Vårdal Foundation.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.