- •Various mechanisms may be at the origin of pain in familial amyloid polyneuropathy.
- •The painful nature of amyloid neuropathy is not determined by small-fiber lesions.
- •Burning pain sensation may result from peripheral sensitization of small fibers.
- •As small-fiber loss progresses, other types of pain may develop.
- •Central sensitization driven by relatively spared large fibers may play a key role.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Functional cross-excitation between afferent A- and C-neurons in dorsal root ganglia.Neuroscience. 2000; 95: 189-195
- Thermal hypoaesthesia differentiates secondary restless legs syndrome associated with small fibre neuropathy from primary restless legs syndrome.Brain. 2010; 133: 762-770
- Value of quantitative sensory testing in neurological and pain disorders: NeuPSIG consensus.Pain. 2013; 154: 1807-1819
- Neuropathic pain: diagnosis, pathophysiological mechanisms, and treatment.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 807-819
- Definition of restless legs syndrome, how to diagnose it, and how to differentiate it from RLS mimics.Mov Disord. 2007; 22: S401-S408
- Comparison of pain syndromes associated with nervous or somatic lesions and development of a new neuropathic pain diagnostic questionnaire (DN4).Pain. 2005; 114: 29-36
- Development and validation of the Neuropathic Pain Symptom Inventory.Pain. 2004; 108: 248-257
- Painful and painless peripheral sensory neuropathies due to HIV infection: a comparison using quantitative sensory evaluation.Pain. 1999; 80: 265-272
- Pain mechanisms: labeled lines versus convergence in central processing.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2003; 26: 1-30
- A brief compound test for assessment of autonomic and sensory-motor dysfunction in familial amyloid polyneuropathy.J Neurol. 2007; 254: 1684-1688
- The diagnostic criteria for small fibre neuropathy: from symptoms to neuropathology.Brain. 2008; 131: 1912-1925
- Longitudinal assessment of diabetic polyneuropathy using a composite score in the Rochester Diabetic Neuropathy Study cohort.Neurology. 1997; 49: 229-239
- Gain of function Naν1.7 mutations in idiopathic small fiber neuropathy.Ann Neurol. 2012; 71: 26-39
- Postherpetic neuralgia: irritable nociceptors and deafferentation.Neurobiol Dis. 1998; 5: 209-227
- Method for quantitative estimation of thermal thresholds in patients.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1976; 39: 1071-1075
- Pain in chemotherapy-induced neuropathy–more than neuropathic?.Pain. 2013; 154: 2877-2887
- Restless legs syndrome and polyneuropathy.Mov Disord. 2006; 21: 1254-1257
- Restless legs syndrome and painful neuropathy-retrospective study. A role for nociceptive deafferentation?.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 1481-1486
- Restless legs syndrome in diabetic neuropathy: a frequent manifestation of small fiber neuropathy.J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2007; 12: 50-53
- A modified peripheral neuropathy scale: the Overall Neuropathy Limitations Scale.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006; 77: 973-976
- Clinical, functional and structural determinants of central pain in syringomyelia.Brain. 2010; 133: 3409-3422
- Is there a higher risk of restless legs syndrome (RLS) in peripheral neuropathy?.Neurology. 2009; 72: 955-960
- Evidence of peripheral axonal neuropathy in primary restless legs syndrome.Mov Disord. 1995; 10: 2-9
- Thermal thresholds predict painfulness of diabetic neuropathies.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2386-2391
- Abnormal LDI flare but normal quantitative sensory testing and dermal nerve fiber density in patients with painful diabetic neuropathy.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 451-455
- Pain-related evoked potentials: a comparative study between electrical stimulation using a concentric planar electrode and laser stimulation using a CO2 laser.Neurophysiol Clin. 2012; 42: 199-206
- Neurophysiological markers of small fibre neuropathy in TTR-FAP mutation carriers.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 1497-1503
- Sural nerve morphometry in diabetic autonomic and painful sensory neuropathy. A clinicopathological study.Brain. 1991; 114: 867-892
- Sural nerve fibre pathology in diabetic patients with mild neuropathy: relationship to pain, quantitative sensory testing and peripheral nerve electrophysiology.Acta Neuropathol. 2001; 101: 367-374
- Painful and non-painful neuropathy in HIV-infected patients: an analysis of somatosensory nerve function.Eur J Pain. 2003; 7: 23-31
- Small fibre impairment predicts neuropathic pain in Guillain-Barré syndrome.Pain. 2010; 151: 53-60
- Peripheral neuropathic pain–a multidimensional burden for patients.Eur J Pain. 2001; 5: 379-389
- Sensory correlates of pain in peripheral neuropathies.Clin Neurophysiol. 2014; 125: 1048-1058
- Restless legs syndrome is frequently overlooked in patients being evaluated for polyneuropathies.Eur J Neurol. 2007; 14: 788-792
- Objective evidence that small-fiber polyneuropathy underlies some illnesses currently labeled as fibromyalgia.Pain. 2013; 154: 2310-2316
- Evidence of small-fiber polyneuropathy in unexplained, juvenile-onset, widespread pain syndromes.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e1091-e1100
- Pain phenomena and possible mechanisms in patients with painful polyneuropathy.Pain. 2003; 101: 187-192
- Amyloidosis.Ann Clin Biochem. 2012; 49: 229-241
- Familial amyloid polyneuropathy.Lancet Neurol. 2011; 10: 1086-1097
- Subclinical sensory neuropathy in late-onset restless legs syndrome.Neurology. 2000; 55: 1115-1121
- Restless legs syndrome and nocturnal myoclonus: initial clinical manifestation of familial amyloid polyneuropathy.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1990; 53: 522-525
- Models and mechanisms of hyperalgesia and allodynia.Physiol Rev. 2009; 89: 707-758
- The level of small nerve fiber dysfunction does not predict pain in diabetic neuropathy: a study using quantitative sensory testing.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 261-265
- The relationship among pain, sensory loss, and small nerve fibers in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 883-887
- Peripheral nociceptor sensitization mediates allodynia in patients with distal symmetric polyneuropathy.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 761-766
- Does the epidermal nerve fibre density measured by skin biopsy in patients with peripheral neuropathies correlate with neuropathic pain?.Pain. 2014; 155: 828-832
- Mechanisms of pain in distal symmetric polyneuropathy: a combined clinical and neurophysiological study.Pain. 2010; 150: 516-521
- Reappraising neuropathic pain in humans–how symptoms help disclose mechanisms.Nat Rev Neurol. 2013; 9: 572-582
- Discrimination between painful and painless diabetic neuropathy based on testing of large somatic nerve and sympathetic nerve function.Diabet Med. 1992; 9: 359-365
- Small fibre pathology in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.Brain. 2013; 136: 1857-1867
- Assessing walking ability in subjects with spinal cord injury: validity and reliability of 3 walking tests.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 190-196
- Differences in peripheral and autonomic nerve function measurements in painful and painless neuropathy. A clinical study.Diabetes Care. 1994; 17: 1200-1202
- Painful polyneuropathy in patients with and without diabetes: clinical, neurophysiologic, and quantitative sensory characteristics.Clin J Pain. 2002; 18: 122-127
- Central sensitization: implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S2-S15
- Evaluation of patients with advanced cancer using the Karnofsky performance status.Cancer. 1980; 45: 2220-2224
The authors declare no conflict of interest related to this study.