- •We examine effectiveness of manual therapy and surgery in pain and function in carpal tunnel syndrome.
- •Manual therapy was more effective in the short term than surgery.
- •Manual therapy was similarly effective at medium-term and long-term follow-up to surgery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical practice guideline on the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.2012 (Available at:)Accessed January 15, 2015)
- American Academy of Neurology, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Practice parameter: electro-diagnostic studies in carpal tunnel syndrome.Neurology. 2002; 58: 1589-1592
- The mechanisms of manual therapy in the treatment of musculoskeletal pain: a comprehensive model.Man Ther. 2009; 14: 531-538
- A randomized sham-controlled trial of a neurodynamic technique in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009; 39: 709-723
- Do ‘sliders’ slide and ‘tensioners’ tension? An analysis of neurodynamic techniques and considerations regarding their application.Man Ther. 2008; 13: 213-221
- Increased pain sensitivity is not associated with electrodiagnostic findings in women with carpal tunnel syndrome.Clin J Pain. 2011; 27: 747-754
- Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome by low-level laser versus open carpal tunnel release.Lasers Med Sci. 2007; 22: 265-270
- Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale.Pain. 2001; 94: 149-158
- Bilateral widespread mechanical pain sensitivity in carpal tunnel syndrome: evidence of central processing in unilateral neuropathy.Brain. 2009; 132: 1472-1479
- Central sensitization does not identify patients with carpal tunnel syndrome who are likely to achieve short-term success with physical therapy.Exp Brain Res. 2010; 207: 85-94
- The economic burden of carpal tunnel syndrome: long term earnings of CTS claimants in Washington State.Am J Ind Med. 2007; 50: 155-172
- Splinting vs. surgery in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1245-1251
- Carpal tunnel syndrome–Part I: effectiveness of nonsurgical treatments: a systematic review.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 981-1004
- Epidemiology of musculoskeletal upper extremity ambulatory surgery in the United States.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 4
- Surgery versus non-surgical therapy for carpal tunnel syndrome: a randomised parallel-group trial.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1074-1081
- Comparative reliability and validity of chronic pain intensity measures.Pain. 1999; 83: 157-162
- Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009; 17: 397-405
- Minimal clinically important differences in the Carpal Tunnel Questionnaire after carpal tunnel release.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2013; 38: 75-79
- Comparison of a targeted and general massage protocol on strength, function, and symptoms associated with carpal tunnel syndrome: a randomized pilot study.J Altern Complement Med. 2008; 14: 259-267
- Recognition of central sensitization in patients with musculoskeletal pain: application of pain neurophysiology in manual therapy practice.Man Ther. 2010; 15: 135-141
- Exercise and mobilisation interventions for carpal tunnel syndrome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 6: CD009899
- Evaluation of the Spanish version of the DASH and carpal tunnel syndrome health-related quality of life instruments: cross cultural adaptation process and reliability.J Hand Surg Am. 2002; 27: 334-343
- Surgical treatment options for carpal tunnel syndrome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; 4: CD003905
- Is surgical intervention more effective than nonsurgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome? A systematic review.J Orthop Surg Res. 2011; 6: 17
- Effects of varying case definition on carpal tunnel syndrome prevalence estimates in a pooled cohort.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 2320-2326
- Comparison of splinting, splinting plus local steroid injection and open carpal tunnel release outcomes in idiopathic carpal tunnel syndrome.Rheumatol Int. 2006; 27: 45-51
- Surgical versus non-surgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; 4: CD001552
- Linking clinical relevance and statistical significance in evaluating intra-individual changes in health-related quality of life.Med Care. 1999; 37: 469-478
- Central sensitization in carpal tunnel syndrome with extraterritorial spread of sensory symptoms.Pain. 2010; 148: 227-236
- CONSORT group; Pragmatic Trials in Healthcare group. Improving the reporting of pragmatic trials: an extension of the CONSORT statement.BMJ. 2008; 337: a2390
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare. The study was funded by a research project grant (FIS PI11/01223) from the Health Institute Carlos III and PN I + D + I 2012-2014, Spanish Government. The sponsor had no role in the design, collection, management, analysis, or interpretation of the data, draft, review, or approval of the manuscript or its content. The authors were responsible for the decision to submit the current manuscript for publication, and the sponsor did not participate in this decision.