- •Patients reported greater pain intensity, interference, downtime, and pain catastrophizing when the spouse was present than when the spouse was absent.
- •Within-person increases in pain catastrophizing were positively associated with spouse reports of patient pain behavior at the same time and 3 hours later.
- •Within-person increases in pain catastrophizing were positively associated with patient perceptions of spouse support, criticism, and hostility at the same time.
- •Within-person increases in pain catastrophizing were negatively associated with spouse reports of criticism and hostility 3 hours later.
- •Pain catastrophizing may affect the interpersonal environment of patients and spouses.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The Experience-Sampling Program (ESP).2000
- Catastrophizing and perceived partner responses to pain.Pain. 2004; 109: 500-506
- Pain-related catastrophizing and perceived social responses: inter-relationships in the context of chronic pain.Pain. 2007; 127: 234-242
- Temporal associations between spouse criticism/hostility and pain among patients with chronic pain: a within-couple daily diary study.Pain. 2013; 154: 2715-2721
- Changes in situation-specific pain catastrophizing precede changes in pain report during capsaicin pain: a cross-lagged panel analysis among healthy, pain-free participants.J Pain. 2010; 11: 876-884
- Perceived entitlement to pain-related support and pain catastrophizing: associations with perceived and observed support.Pain. 2009; 147: 249-254
- Correlates and consequences of the disclosure of pain-related distress to one’s spouse.Pain. 2012; 153: 2441-2447
- Hypervigilance to pain in fibromyalgia: the mediating role of pain intensity and catastrophic thinking about pain.Clin J Pain. 2004; 20: 98-102
- Reactive effects of diary self-assessment in chronic pain patients.Pain. 1996; 67: 253-258
- Establishing causality using longitudinal hierarchical linear modeling: an illustration predicting achievement from self-control.Soc Psychol Personal Sci. 2010; 1: 311-317
- Structured clinical interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders- Non-patient edition (SCID-I/NP, Version 2.0).Biometrics Research Department, New York1996
- The communal coping model and cancer pain: the roles of catastrophizing and attachment style.J Pain. 2012; 13: 1258-1268
- Social environment moderates the association between catastrophizing and pain among persons with a spinal cord injury.Pain. 2003; 106: 19-25
- The role of neuroticism, pain catastrophizing, and pain-related fear in vigilance to pain: a structural equations approach.Pain. 2004; 107: 234-241
- A theoretical framework for understanding self-report and observational measures of pain: a communication model.Behav Res Ther. 2002; 40: 551-570
- Persons as contexts: evaluating between-person and within-person effects in longitudinal analysis.Res Hum Dev. 2009; 6: 97-120
- Predictors of relapse in unipolar depressives: expressed emotion, marital distress, and perceived criticism.J Abnorm Psychol. 1989; 98: 229-235
- Expressed emotion and relapse of psychopathology.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2007; 3: 329-352
- Electronic diaries for monitoring chronic pain: 1 year validation study.Pain. 2001; 91: 277-285
- Coping with rheumatoid arthritis pain: catastrophizing as a maladaptive strategy.Pain. 1989; 37: 51-56
- The relationship of gender to pain, pain behavior, and disability in osteoarthritis patients: the role of catastrophizing.Pain. 2000; 87: 325-334
- The social context of gastrointestinal cancer pain: a preliminary study examining the relation of patient pain catastrophizing to patient perceptions of social support and caregiver stress and negative responses.Pain. 2003; 103: 151-156
- Dimensions of pain-related cognitive coping: cross-validation of the factor structure of the Coping Strategy Questionnaire.Pain. 1990; 43: 195-204
- Catastrophizing and pain sensitivity among chronic pain patients: moderating effects of sensory and affect focus.Ann Behav Med. 2004; 27: 185-194
- Electronic diary assessment of pain, disability and psychological adaptation in patients differing in duration of pain.Pain. 2000; 84: 181-192
- The Coping Strategies Questionnaire: a large sample, item level factor analysis.Clin J Pain. 1997; 13: 43-49
- The use of coping strategies in chronic low back pain patient: relationship to patient characteristics and current adjustment.Pain. 1983; 17: 33-44
- Pain catastrophizing predicts pain intensity, disability and psychological distress independent of level of physical impairment.Clin J Pain. 2001; 17: 165-172
- Pain catastrophizing is associated with health indices in musculoskeletal pain: a cross-sectional study in the Dutch community.Health Psychol. 2004; 23: 49-57
- Do we need a communal coping model of pain catastrophizing? An alternative explanation.Pain. 2004; 111: 226-229
- The causal status of pain catastrophizing: an experimental test with healthy participants.Eur J Pain. 2005; 9: 257-265
- Ecological momentary assessment.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2008; 8: 1-32
- Associations of self-reports versus spouse ratings of negative affectivity, dominance, and affiliation with coronary artery disease: where should we look and who should we ask when studying personality and health?.Health Psychol. 2008; 27: 676-684
- Electronic momentary assessment in chronic pain I: Psychological pain responses as predictors of pain intensity.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 55-66
- Ecological momentary assessment (EMA) in behavioral medicine.Ann Behav Med. 1994; 16: 199-202
- The experience of rheumatoid arthritis pain and fatigue: examining momentary reports and correlates over one week.Arthritis Care Res. 1997; 10: 185-193
- State and trait pain catastrophizing and emotional health in rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Behav Med. 2013; 45: 69-77
- The pain catastrophizing scale: development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Theoretical perspectives on the relation between catastrophizing and pain.Clin J Pain. 2001; 17: 52-64
- Communicative dimensions of pain catastrophizing: social cueing effects on pain behaviour and coping.Pain. 2004; 107: 220-226
- The relation between catastrophizing and the communication of pain experience.Pain. 2006; 122: 282-288
- Pain-related catastrophizing: a daily process study.Pain. 2004; 110: 103-111
- The mediating role of depression and negative partner responses in chronic low back pain and relationship satisfaction.J Pain. 2008; 9: 434-442
This research was supported by NINR Grant R01 NR010777 (Burns, principal investigator).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to report.