- •High-definition transcranial direct current stimulation (HD-tDCS) provides targeted, specific, and tolerable subthreshold brain stimulation.
- •We present an optimized protocol option for the treatment of fibromyalgia (FM) pain.
- •We report a clinically significant benefit of a 50% pain reduction in patients with FM.
- •We estimate ∼15 HD-tDCS sessions to reach clinically meaningful outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Human brain mechanisms of pain perception and regulation in health and disease.Eur J Pain. 2005; 9: 463-484
- Fibromyalgia syndrome in the general population of France: a prevalence study.Joint Bone Spine. 2009; 76: 184-187
- BDI-II, Beck Depression Inventory: Manual.2nd ed. Psychological Corp.; Harcourt Brace, San Antonio, TX.; Boston1996
- A pilot study of the tolerability and effects of high-definition transcranial direct current stimulation (HD-tDCS) on pain perception.J Pain. 2012; 13: 112-120
- rTMS in fibromyalgia: a randomized trial evaluating QoL and its brain metabolic substrate.Neurology. 2014; 82: 1231-1238
- Clinical research with transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS): challenges and future directions.Brain Stimul. 2012; 5: 175-195
- Methods to focalize noninvasive electrical brain stimulation: principles and future clinical development for the treatment of pain.Expert Rev Neurother. 2013; 13: 465-467
- Dynamics of circadian thalamocortical flow of information during a peripheral neuropathic pain condition.Front Integr Neurosci. 2011; 5: 43
- Role of the primary motor cortex in the maintenance and treatment of pain in fibromyalgia.Med Hypotheses. 2014; 83: 332-336
- Pain ratings and somatosensory evoked responses to repetitive intramuscular and intracutaneous stimulation in fibromyalgia syndrome.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2008; 25: 153-160
- High-definition and non-invasive brain modulation of pain and motor dysfunction in chronic TMD.Brain Stimul. 2015; 8: 1085-1092
- Physiological and modeling evidence for focal transcranial electrical brain stimulation in humans: a basis for high-definition tDCS.Neuroimage. 2013; 74: 266-275
- Predictors of placebo response in peripheral neuropathic pain: insights from pregabalin clinical trials.J Pain Res. 2015; 8: 257-268
- A randomized, sham-controlled, proof of principle study of transcranial direct current stimulation for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 3988-3998
- Time course of the induction of homeostatic plasticity generated by repeated transcranial direct current stimulation of the human motor cortex.J Neurophysiol. 2011; 105: 1141-1149
- Coordinate-based meta-analysis of experimentally induced and chronic persistent neuropathic pain.Neuroimage. 2011; 58: 1070-1080
- Systematic review: placebo response in drug trials of fibromyalgia syndrome and painful peripheral diabetic neuropathy-magnitude and patient-related predictors.Pain. 2011; 152: 1709-1717
- Placebo and nocebo responses in randomised controlled trials of drugs applying for approval for fibromyalgia syndrome treatment: systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012; 30: 78-87
- Operculoinsular cortex encodes pain intensity at the earliest stages of cortical processing as indicated by amplitude of laser-evoked potentials in humans.Neuroscience. 2005; 131: 199-208
- Predictors of placebo response in pooled lamotrigine neuropathic pain clinical trials.Clin J Pain. 2009; 25: 469-476
- Putative physiological mechanisms underlying tDCS analgesic effects.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 628
- Comparing cortical plasticity induced by conventional and high-definition 4 × 1 ring tDCS: a neurophysiological study.Brain Stimul. 2013; 6: 644-648
- Cortical theta is increased while thalamocortical coherence is decreased in rat models of acute and chronic pain.Pain. 2014; 155: 773-782
- Long-term maintenance of the analgesic effects of transcranial magnetic stimulation in fibromyalgia.Pain. 2011; 152: 1478-1485
- Electrodes for high-definition transcutaneous DC stimulation for applications in drug delivery and electrotherapy, including tDCS.J Neurosci Methods. 2010; 190: 188-197
- Induction of late LTP-like plasticity in the human motor cortex by repeated non-invasive brain stimulation.Brain Stimul. 2013; 6: 424-432
- Epidemiology of fibromyalgia.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2003; 7: 362-368
- Treatment of deafferentation pain by chronic stimulation of the motor cortex: report of a series of 20 cases.Acta Neurochir Suppl. 1997; 68: 54-60
- Non-invasive brain stimulation techniques for chronic pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; : CD008208
- Effects of unilateral repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the motor cortex on chronic widespread pain in fibromyalgia.Brain. 2007; 130: 2661-2670
- Dolorimetry performed at 3 paired tender points highly predicts overall tenderness.J Rheumatol. 2001; 28: 2568-2569
- Modulating corticostriatal and thalamo-cortical functional connectivity with transcranial direct current stimulation.Hum Brain Mapp. 2012; 33: 2499-2508
- A novel ERP pattern analysis method for revealing invariant reference brain network models.Functional Neurology, Rehabilitation, and Ergonomics. 2013; 3: 295-317
- Network dynamics predict improvement in working memory performance following donepezil administration in healthy young adults.Neuroimage. 2013; 88C: 228-241
- Brain network activation (BNA) reveals scopolamine-induced impairment of visual working memory.J Mol Neurosci. 2014; 54: 59-70
- A novel electroencephalography-based tool for objective assessment of network dynamics activated by nociceptive stimuli.Eur J Pain. 2015;
- Efficacy of transcranial direct current stimulation coupled with a multidisciplinary rehabilitation program for the treatment of fibromyalgia.Open Rheumatol J. 2011; 5: 45-50
- Neurophysiological coding of traits and states in the perception of pain.Cereb Cortex. 2011; 21: 2408-2414
- Introducing a novel approach of network oriented analysis of ERPs, demonstrated on adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.Clin Neurophysiol. 2012; 123: 1568-1580
- Discriminative value of tender points in fibromyalgia syndrome.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 466-471
- Chronic motor cortex stimulation for the treatment of central pain.Acta Neurochir Suppl (Wien). 1991; 52: 137-139
- Efficacy of anodal transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) for the treatment of fibromyalgia: results of a randomized, sham-controlled longitudinal clinical trial.J Pain Manag. 2009; 2: 353-361
- Technique and considerations in the use of 4x1 ring high-definition transcranial direct current stimulation (HD-tDCS).J Vis Exp. 2013; : e50309
- Focal modulation of the primary motor cortex in fibromyalgia using 4x1-ring high-definition transcranial direct current stimulation (HD-tDCS): immediate and delayed analgesic effects of cathodal and anodal stimulation.J Pain. 2013; 14: 371-383
- Abnormal thalamocortical activity in patients with complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) type I.Pain. 2010; 150: 41-51
- Classification, epidemiology, and natural history of fibromyalgia.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2001; 5: 320-329
- The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010; 62: 600-610
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 Criteria for the Classification of Fibromyalgia. Report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 160-172
This research was supported in part by grants from Elminda, Ltd, Coulter Foundation (grant 75969-00-02), the National Institutes of Health (NIH grant 5U54CA132378-08, NIH/NSF grant 5R01MH092926-05) and the United States Department of Defense (grant FA9550-13-1-0073). The City University of New York owns patents on High-Definition tDCS with M.B., L.C.P., and A.D. as inventor. M.B., L.C.P., and A.D. have equity in Soterix Medical Inc.