- •Selection of pain medicines was consistent with low back pain guidelines.
- •Provision of self-care advice and medicines information was lacking.
- •There was a low rate of prompt medical referrals for the fracture scenario.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Interventions available over the counter and advice for acute low back pain: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2014; 15: 2-15
- Participation of pharmacists in clinical trial recruitment for low back pain.Int J Clin Pharm. 2014; 36: 986-994
- The effects of educational interventions on pharmacists’ knowledge, attitudes and beliefs towards low back pain.Int J Clin Pharm. 2015; 37: 616-625
- Evidence-Based Management of Acute Musculoskeletal Pain–A Guide for Clinicians.Australian Academic Press, Bowen Heads, Qld2004
- National implementation of standards of practice for non-prescription medicines in Australia.Pharm World Sci. 2009; 31: 230-237
- Counselling quality in community pharmacies: implementation of the pseudo customer methodology in Germany.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2005; 30: 45-57
- Compliance with clinical practice guidelines in family physicians managing worker's compensation board patients with acute lower back pain.Spine J. 2003; 3: 442-450
- Risk of injury associated with opioid use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 1664-1670
- Fear-avoidance beliefs and catastrophizing: occurrence and risk factor in back pain and ADL in the general population.Pain. 2002; 99: 485-491
- Imaging strategies for low-back pain: systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2009; 373: 463-472
- Response of community pharmacists to the presentation of back pain: a simulated patient study.Int J Pharm Pract. 2006; 14: 171-178
- Advice to rest in bed versus advice to stay active for acute low-back pain and sciatica.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD007612
- Implementation of RCGP guidelines for acute low back pain: a cluster randomised controlled trial.Br J Gen Pract. 2004; 54: 33-37
- Red flags to screen for malignancy and fracture in patients with low back pain: systematic review.BMJ. 2013; 347: f7095
- Human factors: a vital component in product development and launch.Int J Med Market. 2002; 3: 7-19
- Low levels of physical activity in back pain patients are associated with high levels of fear-avoidance beliefs and pain catastrophizing.Physiother Res Int. 2007; 12: 14-24
- Implementation of the Dutch low back pain guideline for general practitioners: a cluster randomized controlled trial.Spine. 2005; 30: 559-600
- The effectiveness of a posted information package on the beliefs and behavior of musculoskeletal practitioners: the UK Chiropractors, Osteopaths, and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapists Low Back Pain Management (COMPLeMENT) randomized trial.Spine. 2010; 35: 858-866
- Guidelines for low back pain: changes in GP management.Fam Pract. 1999; 16: 216-222
- Routine primary care management of acute low back pain: adherence to clinical guidelines.Eur Spine J. 2003; 12: 589-594
- Prevalence of and screening for serious spinal pathology in patients presenting to primary care settings with acute low back pain.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 60: 3072-3080
- Cautions with codeine.Aust Prescr. 2011; 34: 133-135
- An updated overview of clinical guidelines for the management of non-specific low back pain in primary care.Eur Spine J. 2010; 19: 2075-2094
- Managing low back pain in primary care.Aust Prescr. 2011; 34: 128-132
- Purchasing restricted medicines in New Zealand pharmacies: results from a ‘‘mystery shopper’’ study.Pharm World Sci. 2002; 24: 149-153
- National Competency Standards Framework for Pharmacists in Australia.2010 (Available at:)Accessed September 19, 2015)
Pharmacy Access/Remoteness Index of Australia (PHARIA) Available at: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/apmrc/research/projects/pharia/pharia-info.html Accessed July 7, 2014.
- A systematic review of psychological factors as predictors of chronicity/disability in prospective cohorts of low back pain.Spine. 2002; 27: E109-E120
Relief for your aching back. Consumer reports US findings. Available at: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/01/relief-for-your-aching-back/index.htm Accessed June 12, 2014.
- Over-the-counter analgesics in older adults–call for improved labelling and consumer education.Drugs Aging. 2004; 21: 485-498
Royal College of General Practitioners. Clinical Guidelines for the Management of Acute Low Back Pain. London, Royal College of General Practitioners, 1996 and 1999.
- Randomized controlled trial of education and feedback for implementation of guidelines for acute low back pain.J Gen Intern Med. 2003; 18: 773-780
- Low back pain in general practice: reported management and reasons for not adhering to the guidelines in the Netherlands.Br J Gen Pract. 2000; 50: 640-644
- Measuring the assessment and counseling provided with the supply of nonprescription asthma reliever medication: a simulated patient study.Ann Pharmacother. 2009; 43: 1512-1518
- Do community pharmacists have the attitudes and knowledge to support evidence based self-management of low back pain?.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2007; 8: 10
- COST B13 Working Group on Guidelines for the Management of Acute Low Back Pain in Primary Care. Chapter 3: European guidelines for the management of acute nonspecific low back pain in primary care.Eur Spine J. 2006; 15: S169-S191
- Development of protocols for the provision of headache and back-pain treatments in Maltese community pharmacies.Int J Pharm Pract. 2009; 17: 269-274
- Patient expectations of treatment for back pain: a systematic review of qualitative and quantitative studies.Spine. 2004; 29: 2309-2318
- Low back pain in Australian adults: the economic burden.Asia Pac J Public Health. 2003; 15: 79-87
- Low back pain in Australian adults. health provider utilization and care seeking.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2004; 27: 327-335
- Management of people with acute low-back pain: a survey of Australian chiropractors.Chiropr Man Therap. 2011; 19: 29
- Exploring the supply of non-prescription medicines from community pharmacies in Scotland.Pharm World Sci. 2008; 30: 526-535
- Audio taping simulated patient encounters in community pharmacy to enhance the reliability of assessments.Am J Pharm Educ. 2008; 72: 136
- Low back pain and best practice care a survey of general practice physicians.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 271-277
- Efficacy of paracetamol for acute low-back pain: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1586-1596
This research received funding from the Pharmacy Guild of Australia. C.A.S. is supported by an Australian Postgraduate Research Award. C.G.M. is supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council Senior Fellowship. C.G.M. and A.J.M. are investigators on the PACE (Paracetamol for Low Back Pain) trial (http://www.anzctr.org.au/ACTRN12609000966291.aspx), which was jointly funded by project grant 570883 from the National Health and Medical Research Council and GlaxoSmithKline.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.