- •PNT in pigs caused sensitivity to mechanical stimulation and mechanical allodynia.
- •PNT in pigs caused behavior changes but minor to non-existent motor dysfunction.
- •All behavior parameters were altered after treatment with gabapentin or morphine. Aprepitant failed to relieve any of the pain-related symptoms.
- •mRNA analysis of the site of injury indicates an inflammation phase followed by a neurogenic phase.
- •Spinal cord mRNA analysis shows an increase in a microglia marker and a later increase in BDNF.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha increases brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in trigeminal ganglion neurons in an activity-dependent manner.Neuroscience. 2011; 180: 322-333
- Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques.7th ed. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh2013
- High- and low-frequency transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation delay sciatic nerve regeneration after crush lesion in the mouse.J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2008; 13: 71-80
- A peripheral mononeuropathy in rat that produces disorders of pain sensation like those seen in man.Pain. 1988; 33: 87-107
- Characterization of a porcine model of post-operative pain.Eur J Pain. 2014; 18: 496-505
- Neural fractalkine expression is closely linked to pain and pancreatic neuritis in human chronic pancreatitis.Lab Invest. 2009; 89: 347-361
- Gabapentin in acute postoperative pain management.Biomed Res Int. 2014; 631756: 2014
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Spared nerve injury: an animal model of persistent peripheral neuropathic pain.Pain. 2000; 87: 149-158
- Nociceptive responses to thermal and mechanical stimulations in awake pigs.Eur J Pain. 2012; 17: 638-648
- Comparison of electrically induced flare response patterns in human and pig skin.Inflamm Res. 2009; 58: 639-648
- Neuropeptide deficient mice have attenuated nociceptive, vascular, and inflammatory changes in a tibia fracture model of complex regional pain syndrome.Mol Pain. 2012; 8: 85
- NK1 (substance P) receptor antagonists–why are they not analgesic in humans?.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2000; 21: 244-246
- Wallerian degeneration and recovery of motor nerves after multiple focused cold therapies.Muscle Nerve. 2014; 51: 268-275
- The metabolic disposition of aprepitant, a substance P receptor antagonist, in rats and dogs.Drug Metab Dispos. 2004; 32: 246-258
- Factors affecting mechanical (nociceptive) thresholds in piglets.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2012; 39: 628-635
- p38 MAPK, microglial signaling, and neuropathic pain.Mol Pain. 2007; 3: 33
- Morphological changes and immunohistochemical expression of RAGE and its ligands in the sciatic nerve of hyperglycemic pig (Sus scrofa).Biochem Insights. 2010; 2010: 47-59
- An experimental model for peripheral neuropathy produced by segmental spinal nerve ligation in the rat.Pain. 1992; 50: 355-363
- Pharmacokinetics of oral gabapentin in greyhound dogs.Vet J. 2009; 187: 133-135
- Comparison of median and ulnar nerve morphology of Danish Landrace pigs and Gottingen mini pigs.in: Annual Conference of the International Functional Electrical Stimulation Society (IFESS). 2012 (Alberta, Canada)
- Use of the Gottingen minipig as a model of diabetes, with special focus on type 1 diabetes research.ILAR J. 2004; 45: 303-313
- Validation, reproducibility and safety of trans dermal electrical stimulation in chronic pain patients and healthy volunteers.BMC Neurol. 2010; 10: 5
- Distinctive response of CNS glial cells in oro-facial pain associated with injury, infection and inflammation.Mol Pain. 2010; 6: 79
- The role of peripheral N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors in Freund's complete adjuvant induced mechanical hyperalgesia in rats.Neurosci Lett. 2001; 297: 155-158
- Induction of CX3CL1 expression in astrocytes and CX3CR1 in microglia in the spinal cord of a rat model of neuropathic pain.J Pain. 2005; 6: 434-438
- Effects of epidural morphine and transdermal fentanyl analgesia on physiology and behaviour after abdominal surgery in pigs.Lab Anim. 2006; 40: 16-27
- Gabapentin.Epilepsia. 1995; 36: S73-S86
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-elicited or sciatic ligation-associated phosphorylation of cyclic AMP response element binding protein in the rat spinal dorsal horn is reduced by block of tyrosine kinase receptors.Neurosci Lett. 2004; 361: 269-271
- Animal models of pain: progress and challenges.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009; 10: 283-294
- What should we be measuring in behavioral studies of chronic pain in animals?.Pain. 2004; 112: 12-15
- The necessity of animal models in pain research.Pain. 2010; 151: 12-17
- Choosing the correct functional assay: a comprehensive assessment of functional tests in the rat.Behav Brain Res. 2005; 163: 143-158
- Single-fiber recordings of unmyelinated afferents in pig.Neurosci Lett. 2010; 470: 175-179
- The spared nerve injury model of neuropathic pain.Methods Mol Biol. 2012; 851: 205-212
- Peripheral nerves in the rat exhibit localized heterogeneity of tensile properties during limb movement.J Physiol. 2004; 557: 879-887
- Observer-blinded comparison of two nonopioid analgesics for postoperative pain in piglets.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2002; 73: 521-528
- Species and strain differences in rodent sciatic nerve anatomy: implications for studies of neuropathic pain.Pain. 2008; 136: 188-201
- A novel behavioral model of neuropathic pain disorders produced in rats by partial sciatic nerve injury.Pain. 1990; 43: 205-218
- Pharmacokinetics of gabapentin in cats.Am J Vet Res. 2010; 71: 817-821
- BDNF: no gain without pain?.Neuroscience. 2014; 283: 107-123
- New evidence for the involvement of spinal fractalkine receptor in pain facilitation and spinal glial activation in rat model of monoarthritis.Pain. 2007; 129: 64-75
- Nerves and Nerve Injuries.2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1978
- Swine as models in biomedical research and toxicology testing.Vet Pathol. 2011; 49: 344-356
- Microglia and spinal cord synaptic plasticity in persistent pain.Neural Plast. 2013; 753656: 2013
- The cerebral signature for pain perception and its modulation.Neuron. 2007; 55: 377-391
- Functional and morphological assessment of a standardized rat sciatic nerve crush injury with a non-serrated clamp.J Neurotrauma. 2004; 21: 1652-1670
- Fractalkine (CX3CL1) and fractalkine receptor (CX3CR1) distribution in spinal cord and dorsal root ganglia under basal and neuropathic pain conditions.Eur J Neurosci. 2004; 20: 1150-1160
- Animal and cellular models of chronic pain.Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2003; 55: 949-965
- Involvement of a spinal brain-derived neurotrophic factor/full-length TrkB pathway in the development of nerve injury-induced thermal hyperalgesia in mice.Brain Res. 2002; 958: 338-346
- Direct evidence for the involvement of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the development of a neuropathic pain-like state in mice.J Neurochem. 2005; 93: 584-594
- Comparison of analgesic effect between gabapentin and diclofenac on post-operative pain in patients undergoing tonsillectomy.Arch Trauma Res. 2012; 1: 108-111
- Behavioral assessments of the aversive quality of pain in animals.Neurosci Bull. 2011; 27: 61-67
- Elevated expression of fractalkine (CX3CL1) and fractalkine receptor (CX3CR1) in the dorsal root ganglia and spinal cord in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis: implications in multiple sclerosis-induced neuropathic pain.Biomed Res Int. 2013; 2013: 1-14
- Role of the CX3CR1/p38 MAPK pathway in spinal microglia for the development of neuropathic pain following nerve injury-induced cleavage of fractalkine.Brain Behav Immun. 2007; 21: 642-651
- Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals.Pain. 1983; 16: 109-110
This study was funded by MD Biosciences and Lahav Research Institute . The authors have no conflict of interest to declare.