- •Using interrupted time series analyses, we assessed whether the Washington State chronic opioid therapy guideline and complementary health plan initiatives to change opioid prescribing reduced opioid doses among COT patients in a health plan's group practice (n = 16,653) compared with its contracted care settings (n = 5,552) exposed to only state guideline changes.
- •From 2006 to June 2014, the percentage of COT patients receiving ≥120 mg morphine equivalent dose declined from 16.8% to 6.3% in the group practice versus 20.6 to 13.6% among COT patients of contracted physicians.
- •The proportion receiving excess opioid days supplied declined from 24.0 to 10.4% among group practice COT patients and from 20.1 to 14.7% among COT patients of contracted physicians.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Ethical physician incentives—From carrots and sticks to shared purpose.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 980-982
- The effectiveness and risks of long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain: a systematic review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 276-286
- Hospitalizations for poisoning by prescription opioids, sedatives, and tranquilizers.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 517-524
- Major increases in opioid analgesic abuse in the United States: concerns and strategies.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006; 81: 103-107
- Less is more: on the undiffusion of established practices.JAMA Internal Med. 2015; 175: 809-811
- Risks for opioid abuse and dependence among recipients of chronic opioid therapy: results from the TROUP study.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010; 112: 90-98
- Bending the prescription opioid dosing and mortality curves: impact of the Washington State opioid dosing guideline.Am J Ind Med. 2012; 55: 325-331
- A reanalysis of cluster randomized trials showed interrupted time-series studies were valuable in health system evaluation.J Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 68: 324-333
- Changes in opioid prescribing for Washington workers’ compensation claimants after implementation of an opioid dosing guideline for chronic noncancer pain: 2004 to 2010.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1620-1628
- Diffusion of innovations in service organizations: Systematic review and recommendations.Milbank Q. 2004; 82: 581-629
- The Elements of Statistical Learning.2nd ed. Springer, New York2009
- The Opioid Epidemic: Overview and a Look to the Future. Presentation at Evidence-based Primary Pain Care: A New Opioid Guideline from Washington State.WA, SeattleJune 12, 2015
- Epidemic: Responding to America’s Prescription Drug Abuse Crisis.2011 ([updated 2011 Apr 11; cited 2011 Jun 10]. Available at:)Accessed February 19, 2014)
- A flood of opioids, a rising tide of deaths.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1981-1985
- The prevalence of problem opioid use in patients receiving chronic opioid therapy: computer assisted review of electronic health record clinical notes.Pain. 2015; 156: 1208-1214
- Group Health Cooperative.in: Strom B. Pharmacoepidemiology. 4th ed. John Wiley, Chichester, UK2005: 223-239
- Evaluation of health plan interventions to influence chronic opioid therapy prescribing.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 820-829
- Results from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of national findings.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2013 (NSDUH Series H-46, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13–4795)
- Problems and concerns of patients receiving chronic opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain.Pain. 2010; 149: 345-353
- Group Health’s initiative to avert opioid misuse and overdose among patients with chronic non-cancer pain.Health Aff. 2011; 30: 1420-1424
- Chronic opioid therapy risk reduction initiative: impact on urine drug testing rates and results.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 305-311
- Segmented regression analysis of interrupted time series studies in medication use research.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2002; 27: 299-309
- Tests of statistical hypotheses concerning several parameters when the number of observations is large.Trans Am Math Soc. 1943; 54: 426-482
Washington State Agency Medical Directors’ Group. Interagency guideline on opioid dosing for chronic non-cancer pain: an educational aid to improve care and safety with opioid therapy. 2010 update. Available at: http://www.agencymeddirectors.wa.gov/Files/OpioidGdline.pdf. Accessed February 19, 2014.
- Defacto long-term opioid therapy for non-cancer pain.Clin J Pain. 2008; 24: 521-527
- Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes.Biometrics. 1986; 42: 121-130
This research was supported by grants from Pfizer, the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (R-IHS-1306-02198, Von Korff), and the National Institute on Aging (AG034181, Von Korff, Principal Investigator).
M.V.K. is the Principal Investigator of grants to GHRI from Pfizer Inc that concern opioids. These grants also support work on this project by S.M.S., K.S., and R.L.W. S.M.S. has received funding from research grants awarded to GHRI by Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer Inc. K.S. owns stock in Merck.
The remaining authors report no conflicts.