- •Results suggest placebo analgesic effects can be large and clinically meaningful.
- •Survey assessed patient knowledge of and acceptability toward placebo treatments.
- •Patients were conditionally willing to receive placebo interventions for pain.
- •Placebos used as complementary treatments were rated as highly acceptable.
- •Education on placebo mechanisms greatly enhanced placebo acceptability.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Conditioned pharmacotherapeutic effects: A preliminary study.Psychosom Med. 2010; 72: 192-197
- Neuropharmacological dissection of placebo analgesia: Expectation-activated opioid systems versus conditioning-activated specific subsystems.J Neurosci. 1999; 19: 484-494
- Partial reinforcement, extinction, and placebo analgesia.Pain. 2014; 155: 1110-1117
- How can placebo effects best be applied in clinical practice? A narrative review.Psychol Res Behav Manag. 2015; 8: 41-45
- Patients’ attitudes to the use of placebos: Results from a New Zealand survey.N Z Med J. 2009; 122: 11
- Revelation of a personal placebo response: Its effects on mood, attitudes and future placebo responding.Pain. 2007; 132: 281-288
- Placebo analgesia: Psychological and neurobiological mechanisms.Pain. 2013; 154: 511-514
- Crombie I.K. Croft P.R. Linton S.J. LeResche L. Von Korff M. Epidemiology of Pain. IASP Press, Seattle1999
- The investigator’s duty not to deceive.IRB. 1985; 7: 1-6
- Direct evidence for spinal cord involvement in placebo analgesia.Science. 2009; 326: 404
- Use of placebo interventions among Swiss primary care providers.BMC Health Serv Res. 2009; 9: 144
- Frequency and circumstances of placebo use in clinical practice - a systematic review of empirical studies.BMC Med. 2010; 8: 15
- Biological, clinical, and ethical advances of placebo effects.Lancet. 2010; 375: 686-695
- The economic costs of pain in the United States.J Pain. 2012; 13: 715-724
- Psychosocial education improves low back pain beliefs: Results from a cluster randomized clinical trial (NCT00373009) in a primary prevention setting.Eur Spine J. 2009; 18 (NCT00373009): 1050-1058
- National ambulatory medical care survey: 2004 summary.Adv Data. 2006; 374: 1-33
- The use of placebo interventions in medical practice - a national questionnaire survey of Danish clinicians.Eval Health Prof. 2003; 26: 153-165
- Patients’ attitudes about the use of placebo treatments: Telephone survey.BMJ. 2013; 347: f3757
- Placebos without deception: A randomized controlled trial in irritable bowel syndrome.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e15591
- Placebo use in pain management: The role of medical context, treatment efficacy, and deception in determining placebo acceptability.Pain. 2014; 155: 2638-2645
- Analgesic placebo treatment perceptions: Acceptability, efficacy, and knowledge.J Pain. 2012; 13: 891-900
- Factors affecting placebo acceptability: Deception, outcome, and disease severity.J Pain. 2011; 12: 920-928
- Placebo analgesia: Clinical applications.Pain. 2014; 155: 1055-1058
- Comparison of three rating scales for measuring subjective phenomena in clinical research: I. Use of experimentally controlled auditory stimuli.Arch Med Res. 2004; 35: 43-48
- Analgesic responses to morphine and placebo in individuals with postoperative pain.Pain. 1981; 10: 379-389
- The impact of patient expectations on outcomes in four randomized controlled trials of acupuncture in patients with chronic pain.Pain. 2007; 128: 264-271
- A review of psychological risk factors in back and neck pain.Spine. 2000; 25: 1148-1156
- The Effect of neuroscience education on pain, disability, anxiety, and stress in chronic musculoskeletal pain.Arch Phys Med Rehab. 2011; 92: 2041-2056
- Engaging patients in their own care for back care: The role of education and advice in the prevention of chronic pain and disability.in: Hasenbring M.I. Rusu A.C. Turk D.C. From Acture to Chronic Back Pain: Risk Factors, Mechanisms, and Clinical Implications. Oxford University Press, New York2012: 433-452
- Widespread use of pure and impure placebo interventions by GPs in Germany.Fam Pract. 2012; 29: 79-85
- The legitimacy of placebo treatments in clinical practice: Evidence and ethics.Am J Bioethics. 2009; 9: 39-47
- Deception in research on the placebo effect.PLoS Med. 2005; 2: 853-858
- A prospective study on knee pain and its risk factors.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2002; 10: 623-630
- A randomized controlled trial of intensive neurophysiology education in chronic low back pain.Clin J Pain. 2004; 20: 324-330
- A controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 81-88
- Placebo analgesia is accompanied by large reductions in pain-related brain activity in irritable bowel syndrome patients.Pain. 2007; 127: 63-72
- A comprehensive review of the placebo effect: Recent advances and current thoughts.Annu Rev Psychol. 2008; 59: 565-590
- The validation of visual analogue scales as ratio scale measures for chronic and experimental pain.Pain. 1983; 17: 45-56
- Conditioned placebo dose reduction: A new treatment in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder?.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2010; 31: 369-375
- APS position statement on the use of placebos in pain management.J Pain. 2005; 6: 215-217
- The measurement of pain and the assessment of people experiencing pain.in: Turk D.C. Melzack R. Handbook of Pain Assessment. 3rd ed. Guilford Press, New York2011: 3-18
- Assessment of patients with chronic pain: a comprehensive approach.in: Turk D.C. Melzack R. Handbook of Pain Assessment. 3rd ed. Guilford Press, New York2011: 188-212
- Gender variations in clinical pain experience.Pain. 1996; 65: 123-167
- Occupational risk factors for shoulder pain: A systematic review.Occup Environ Med. 2000; 57: 433-442
- Complementary and alternative therapies for low back pain.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2005; 19: 639-654
- The contributions of suggestion, desire, and expectation to placebo effects in irritable bowel syndrome patients: An empirical investigation.Pain. 2003; 105: 17-25
- Increased placebo analgesia over time in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) patients is associated with desire and expectation but not endogenous opioid mechanisms.Pain. 2005; 115: 338-347
- Disuse and deconditioning in chronic low back pain: Concepts and hypotheses on contributing mechanisms.Eur J Pain. 2003; 7: 9-21
- The prevalence of low back pain: A systematic review of the literature from 1966 to 1998.J Spinal Disord. 2000; 13: 205-217
- Practice, practitioner, or placebo? A multifactorial, mixed-methods randomized controlled trial of acupuncture.Pain. 2012; 153: 455-462
- The prevalence and characteristics of fibromyalgia in the general population.Arthritis Rheum. 1995; 38: 19-28
This work was supported by Grant 5R01AT001424-06 to (M.E.R.) from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) of the National Institutes of Health.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.