- •Daily injection with diluted bee venom (DBV) reduces allodynia in oxaliplatin-treated mice.
- •Oxaliplatin-induced intraepidermal nerve fibers loss is restored with repetitive DBV treatment.
- •These effects of repetitive DBV are associated with the activation of α-2 adrenoceptors.
- •Repetitive DBV can be a strategy for the management of chemotherapy-induced neuropathy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A review on oxaliplatin-induced peripheral nerve damage.Cancer Treat Rev. 2008; 34: 368-377
- Thermal hyperalgesia as a marker of oxaliplatin neurotoxicity: A prospective quantified sensory assessment study.Pain. 2009; 144: 245-252
- Dexmedetomidine, an alpha-2a adrenergic agonist, promotes ischemic tolerance in a murine model of spinal cord ischemia-reperfusion.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 147: 500-506
- Terminal arbor degeneration–a novel lesion produced by the antineoplastic agent paclitaxel.Eur J Neurosci. 2011; 33: 1667-1676
- Pain in oxaliplatin-induced neuropathy–sensitisation in the peripheral and central nociceptive system.Eur J Cancer. 2007; 43: 2658-2663
- Protection against oxaliplatin-induced mechanical hyperalgesia and intraepidermal nerve fiber loss by minocycline.Exp Neurol. 2011; 229: 353-357
- Intraepidermal nerve fiber loss corresponds to the development of taxol-induced hyperalgesia and can be prevented by treatment with minocycline.Pain. 2011; 152: 308-313
- The beneficial effect of ST-36 (Zusanli) acupressure on postoperative gastrointestinal function in patients with colorectal cancer.Oncol Nurs Forum. 2013; 40: E61-E68
- Targeting TNF-alpha and NF-kappaB activation by bee venom: Role in suppressing adjuvant induced arthritis and methotrexate hepatotoxicity in rats.PloS One. 2013; 8: e79284
- Prospective study of paclitaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy with quantitative sensory testing.J Neurooncol. 1997; 35: 47-53
- Clinical application of oxaliplatin in epithelial ovarian cancer.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006; 16: 1717-1732
- Proteomic analysis of differential proteins related to anti-nociceptive effect of electroacupuncture in the hypothalamus following neuropathic pain in rats.Neurochem Res. 2013; 38: 1467-1478
- Reintroduction of oxaliplatin: A viable approach to the long-term management of metastatic colorectal cancer.Oncology. 2010; 79: 389-399
- Randomised trial of long term effect of acupuncture for shoulder pain.Pain. 2004; 112: 289-298
- Pathobiology of cancer chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN).Front Pharmacol. 2013; 4: 156
- Attenuation of mechanical but not thermal hyperalgesia by electroacupuncture with the involvement of opioids in rat model of chronic inflammatory pain.Brain Res Bull. 2004; 63: 99-103
- Repetitive treatment with diluted bee venom reduces neuropathic pain via potentiation of locus coeruleus noradrenergic neuronal activity and modulation of spinal NR1 phosphorylation in rats.J Pain. 2012; 13: 155-166
- Quantitation of epidermal nerves in diabetic neuropathy.Neurology. 1996; 47: 1042-1048
- Antinociceptive mechanisms associated with diluted bee venom acupuncture (apipuncture) in the rat formalin test: Involvement of descending adrenergic and serotonergic pathways.Pharmacol Res. 2005; 51: 183-188
- Intrathecal treatment with sigma1 receptor antagonists reduces formalin-induced phosphorylation of NMDA receptor subunit 1 and the second phase of formalin test in mice.Br J Pharmacol. 2006; 148: 490-498
- Water soluble fraction (<10 kDa) from bee venom reduces visceral pain behavior through spinal alpha 2-adrenergic activity in mice.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2005; 80: 181-187
- Bee venom acupoint stimulation increases Fos expression in catecholaminergic neurons in the rat brain.Mol Cell. 2004; 17: 329-333
- Visceral antinociception produced by bee venom stimulation of the Zhongwan acupuncture point in mice: Role of alpha(2) adrenoceptors.Neurosci Lett. 2001; 308: 133-137
- Bee venom injection into an acupuncture point reduces arthritis associated edema and nociceptive responses.Pain. 2001; 90: 271-280
- Substantial role of locus coeruleus-noradrenergic activation and capsaicin-insensitive primary afferent fibers in bee venom's anti-inflammatory effect.Neurosci Res. 2006; 55: 197-203
- European Federation of Neurological Societies. EFNS guidelines on the use of skin biopsy in the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy.Eur J Neurol. 2005; 12: 747-758
- Bee venom acupuncture for rheumatoid arthritis: A systematic review of randomised clinical trials.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e006140
- Bee venom pretreatment has both an antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effect on carrageenan-induced inflammation.J Vet Med Sci. 2001; 63: 251-259
- Melittin ameliorates the inflammation of organs in an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis animal model.Exp Neurobiol. 2014; 23: 86-92
- Nerve growth factors (NGF, BDNF) enhance axonal regeneration but are not required for survival of adult sensory neurons.J Neurosci. 1988; 8: 2394-2405
- Epidermal nerve fiber density: Normative reference range and diagnostic efficiency.Arch Neurol. 1998; 55: 1513-1520
- Pharmacological characterization of BDNF promoters I, II and IV reveals that serotonin and norepinephrine input is sufficient for transcription activation.Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2014; 17: 779-791
- Topical capsaicin in humans: Parallel loss of epidermal nerve fibers and pain sensation.Pain. 1999; 81: 135-145
- The density of remaining nerve endings in human skin with and without postherpetic neuralgia after shingles.Pain. 2001; 92: 139-145
- Evidence of focal small-fiber axonal degeneration in complex regional pain syndrome-I (reflex sympathetic dystrophy).Pain. 2006; 120: 235-243
- The mechanisms of antihyperalgesic effect of topiramate in a rat model of inflammatory hyperalgesia.Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 27: 319-328
- Natural history of cutaneous innervation following herpes zoster.Pain. 2010; 150: 75-82
- Paclitaxel-induced neuropathy.Ann Oncol. 1995; 6: 489-494
- Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy.J Neurol. 2002; 249: 9-17
- Oxaliplatin in first-line therapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.Clin Lung Cancer. 2010; 11: 18-24
- Bee venom injection significantly reduces nociceptive behavior in the mouse formalin test via capsaicin-insensitive afferents.J Pain. 2006; 7: 500-512
- Acupoint stimulation with diluted bee venom (apipuncture) alleviates thermal hyperalgesia in a rodent neuropathic pain model: Involvement of spinal alpha 2-adrenoceptors.J Pain. 2004; 5: 297-303
- Sigma-1 receptor antagonist, BD1047 reduces nociceptive responses and phosphorylation of p38 MAPK in mice orofacial formalin model.Biol Pharm Bull. 2014; 37: 145-151
- The antinociceptive effect of mirtazapine in mice is mediated through serotonergic, noradrenergic and opioid mechanisms.Brain Res Bull. 2002; 58: 601-605
- Anti-allergic effect of bee venom in an allergic rhinitis mouse model.Biol Pharm Bull. 2014; 37: 1295-1300
- Skin denervation in type 2 diabetes: Correlations with diabetic duration and functional impairments.Brain. 2004; 127: 1593-1605
- Paclitaxel- and vincristine-evoked painful peripheral neuropathies: Loss of epidermal innervation and activation of Langerhans cells.Exp Neurol. 2006; 201: 507-514
- Mechanism-based treatment for chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathic pain.Nat Rev Neurol. 2014; 10: 694-707
- Bee venom and adjuvant arthritis.J Rheumatol. 1988; 15: 1878
- Oxaliplatin: A review of approved uses.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2012; 13: 125-137
- Peripheral neuropathy in patients with colorectal cancer receiving oxaliplatin.Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2011; 15: 182-188
- Acupuncture for chronic pain: Individual patient data meta-analysis.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1444-1453
- Concordance between epidermal nerve fiber density and sensory examination in patients with symptoms of idiopathic small fiber neuropathy.J Neurol Sci. 2007; 255: 23-26
- Peripheral bee venom’s anti-inflammatory effect involves activation of the coeruleospinal pathway and sympathetic preganglionic neurons.Neurosci Res. 2007; 59: 51-59
- Bee venom injection produces a peripheral anti-inflammatory effect by activation of a nitric oxide-dependent spinocoeruleus pathway.Neurosci Lett. 2008; 430: 163-168
- Minocycline blocks lipopolysaccharide induced hyperalgesia by suppression of microglia but not astrocytes.Neuroscience. 2012; 221: 214-224
- Spinal astrocyte gap junctions contribute to oxaliplatin-induced mechanical hypersensitivity.J Pain. 2013; 14: 205-214
- Acupoint stimulation with diluted bee venom (apipuncture) potentiates the analgesic effect of intrathecal clonidine in the rodent formalin test and in a neuropathic pain model.J Pain. 2009; 10: 253-263
- Intrathecal RGS4 inhibitor, CCG50014, reduces nociceptive responses and enhances opioid-mediated analgesic effects in the mouse formalin test.Anesth Analg. 2015; 120: 671-677
- Diluted bee venom injection reduces ipsilateral mechanical allodynia in oxaliplatin-induced neuropathic mice.Biol Pharm Bull. 2013; 36: 1787-1793
- Mitotoxicity and bortezomib-induced chronic painful peripheral neuropathy.Exp Neurol. 2012; 238: 225-234
J.-H.Y. and S.-Y.Y. contributed equally to this work.
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP; No. 2012R1A5A2051385).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.