- •In this meta-analysis we assessed motivational interviewing (MI) in chronic pain.
- •We assessed the effect of MI on adherence, pain, and physical function.
- •MI appeared to increase short-term adherence to chronic pain treatment.
- •It is unclear whether MI resulted in improvements in pain and physical function.
- •Further research on motivational interventions in chronic pain is needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Exercise-based motivational interviewing for female patients with fibromyalgia: A case series.Clin Rheumatol. 2007; 26: 1843-1849
- Research to encourage exercise for fibromyalgia (REEF): Use of motivational interviewing, outcomes from a randomized-controlled trial.Clin J Pain. 2013; 29: 296-304
- TTM-based counselling in physiotherapy does not contribute to an increase of adherence to activity recommendations in older adults with chronic low back pain - A randomised controlled trial.Eur J Pain. 2007; 11: 31-37
- Comprehensive Meta-Analysis Version 2.Biostat, Englewood, NJ2005
- Medication adherence in patients with chronic non-malignant pain: Is there a problem?.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 115-123
- The efficacy of motivational interviewing: a meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2003; 71: 843
- The impact of communication on adherence in pain management.Pain. 2013; 154: S101-S107
- A systematic review of motivational interviewing within musculoskeletal health.Psychol Health Med. 2012; 17: 392-407
- A short goal-pursuit intervention to improve physical capacity: A randomized clinical trial in chronic back pain patients.Pain. 2010; 149: 444-452
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.Laurence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Scientific guidelines for conducting integrative research reviews.Rev Educ Res. 1982; 52: 291-302
- Providers’ roles in enhancing patients’ adherence to pain self management.Transl Behav Med. 2013; 3: 39-46
- Relationship between beliefs, motivation, and worries about physical activity and physical activity participation in persons with rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Care Res. 2011; 63: 1700-1705
- Long-term effect of a combined exercise and motivational program on the level of disability of patients with chronic low back pain.Spine. 2005; 30: 995-1000
- Combined exercise and motivation program: Effect on the compliance and level of disability of patients with chronic low back pain: A randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1998; 79: 475-487
- Preparing for pain management: A pilot study to enhance engagement.J Pain. 2005; 6: 48-54
- Patient education in arthritis: Helping people change.Musculoskeletal Care. 2003; 1: 84-97
- Nonparametric estimators of effect size in meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 1984; 96: 573
- Fixed-and random-effects models in meta-analysis.Psychol Methods. 1998; 3: 486
- Motivational interviewing.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2005; 1: 91-111
- Barriers to treatment adherence in physiotherapy outpatient clinics: A systematic review.Man Ther. 2010; 15: 220-228
- Substance misuse treatment for high-risk chronic pain patients on opioid therapy: A randomized trial.Pain. 2010; 150: 390-400
- The effect of message framing on self-management of chronic pain: A new perspective on intervention?.Psychol Health. 2011; 26: 931-947
- Motivational interviewing may encourage exercise in persons with fibromyalgia by enhancing self efficacy.Arthritis Care Res. 2004; 51: 864-867
- Can we improve cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic back pain treatment engagement and adherence? A controlled trial of tailored versus standard therapy.Health Psychol. 2014; 33: 938
- Adherence to rehabilitation in patients with low back pain.Man Ther. 2003; 8: 110-116
- Motivational interviewing for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD006936
- TTM-based motivational counselling does not increase physical activity of low back pain patients in a primary care setting—A cluster-randomized controlled trial.Patient Educ Couns. 2008; 70: 50-60
Lipsey MW, Wilson D: Practical Meta-Analysis (Applied Social Research Methods Series, Vol. 49). Thousand Oaks, CA, Sage, 2000
- Effects of nurse-led motivational interviewing of patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain in preparation of rehabilitation treatment (PREPARE) on societal participation, attendance level, and cost-effectiveness: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2013; 14: 90
- A motivational therapeutic assessment improves pain, mood, and relationship satisfaction in couples with chronic pain.J Pain. 2013; 14: 525-537
- Motivational interviewing with problem drinkers.Behav Psychother. 1983; 11: 147-172
- Motivational interviewing: Helping people change.Guilford Press, New York, NY2012
- Effects of an individually tailored Web-based chronic pain management program on pain severity, psychological health, and functioning.J Med Internet Res. 2013; 15: 201
- Is adherence to pain self-management strategies associated with improved pain, depression and disability in those with disabling chronic pain?.Eur J Pain. 2012; 16: 93-104
- Cognitive exposure versus avoidance in patients with chronic pain: Adherence matters.Eur J Pain. 2014; 18: 424-437
- Invited special review: Psychological approaches for managing chronic pain.J Psychopathol Behav Assess. 2004; 26: 279-288
- Toward a Comprehensive Model of Change.Springer, New York, NY1986
- In search of how people change: Applications to addictive behaviors.J Addict Nurs. 1993; 5: 2-16
- Meta-Analytic Procedures for Social Research.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA1991
- Application of psychological strategies for pain management in primary care.J Clin Outcomes Manag. 2007; 14: 603-609
- Motivational interviewing and exercise programme for community-dwelling older persons with chronic pain: A randomised controlled study.J Clin Nurs. 2013; 22: 1843-1856
- Motivational enhancement therapy in addition to physical therapy improves motivational factors and treatment outcomes in people with low back pain: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 176-183
- Behavior change, acceptance, and coping flexibility in highly distressed patients with rheumatic diseases: Feasibility of a cognitive-behavioral therapy in multimodal rehabilitation.Patient Educ Counsel. 2012; 87: 171-177
- Psychological therapies for the management of chronic pain (excluding headache) in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; : CD007407
- A scale for rating the quality of psychological trials for pain.Pain. 2005; 117: 314-325
- Development and content of a group-based intervention to improve medication adherence in non-adherent patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Patient Educ Counsel. 2012; 89: 143-151
Louise Sharpe was supported by an NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship. No other funding sources were provided.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.