- •Abuse and diversion of the BTDS was low compared with other extended release opioids.
- •Abuse and diversion of the BTDS was low by both population and prescription rates.
- •Abuse and diversion of the BTDS was low compared with other buprenorphine products.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Illicit use of buprenorphine/naloxone among injecting and non-injecting opioid users.J Addict Med. 2011; 5: 175-180
- Butrans [package insert]. Purdue Pharma Inc, Stamford, CT2015
- The development of a comprehensive risk-management program for prescription opioid analgesics: Researched abuse, diversion and addiction-related surveillance (RADARS).Pain Med. 2007; 8: 157-170
- Illicit use of buprenorphine in a community sample of young adult non-medical users of pharmaceutical opioids.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012; 122: 201-207
- Non-medical use of Tapentadol Immediate Release by college students.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 685-692
- Post-marketing surveillance of methadone and buprenorphine in the United States.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 1078-1091
- Crowdsourcing black market prices for prescription opioids.J Med Internet Res. 2013; 15: e178
- Using poison center exposure calls to predict prescription opioid abuse and misuse-related emergency department visits.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2014; 23: 18-25
- The diversion of prescription opioid analgesics.Law Enforc Exec Forum. 2007; 7: 127-141
- Opioid detoxification via single 7-day application of a buprenorphine transdermal patch: An open-label evaluation.Psychopharmacology. 2008; 198: 149-158
- Abuse and diversion of buprenorphine sublingual tablets and film.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2014; 47: 27-34
- Lessons from the past.Inj Prev. 2012; 18: 70
- Transdermal buprenorphine for the treatment of moderate to severe chronic pain: Results from a large multicenter, non-interventional post-marketing study in Poland.Curr Med Res Opin. 2011; 27: 1109-1117
- Buprenorphine treatment for narcotic addiction: Not without risks.Innov Clin Neurosci. 2015; 12: 32-36
- Surveillance of diversion and nonmedical use of extended-release prescription amphetamine and oral methylphenidate in the United States.J Addict Dis. 2013; 32: 26-38
- Reduced abuse, therapeutic errors, and diversion following reformulation of extended-release oxycodone in 2010.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1122-1130
- Buprenorphine: A primer for emergency physicians.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43: 580-584
- Results from the 2011 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings.(NSDUH Series H-44, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 12–4713) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2012
- The Dawn Report: Highlights of the 2010 Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) Findings on Drug-Related Emergency Department Visits.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2012
- Current clinical opinions, attitudes and awareness of interns regarding post-operative and cancer pain management in a tertiary care centre.Indian J Palliat Care. 2015; 21: 49-55
Warner M, Chen LH, Makuc DM. Increase in fatal poisonings involving opioid analgesics in the United States, 1999-2006. NCHS Data Brief 1-8, 2009
- Likeability and abuse liability of commonly prescribed opioids.J Med Toxicol. 2012; 8: 335-340
World Health Organization Expert Committee on Drug Dependence: WHO Expert Committee on Drug Dependence. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 915:i-v, 1–26, back cover, 2003
- Characterization of adolescent prescription drug abuse and misuse using the Researched Abuse Diversion and Addiction-related Surveillance (RADARS) System.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2013; 52: 196-204.e2
Funding was supplied for this research from Purdue Pharma. Although this work was funded through a contract supporting Researched Abuse, Diversion, and Addiction-Related Surveillance system and research involving the transdermal buprenorphine system (Butrans; Purdue Pharma, Stamford, CT), Purdue pharmaceuticals had no role in the study design, data analysis, manuscript preparation, review or approval for submission. No professional writers were involved in the manuscript preparation. This work was designed and completed by the authors.
Dr. Wiegand has received funding from Purdue Pharma as a consultant related to research and consultant work related to the Researched Abuse, Diversion, and Addiction-Related Surveillance system. Drs. Dart, Bucher Bartelson, and Green as well as Marie-Claire Le Lait received funds through the Researched Abuse, Diversion, and Addiction-Related Surveillance system for consultant work and sponsored research from Reckett Benckiser and Purdue Pharma. The authors attest that no other potential conflicts of interest exist. The reported financial relationships are ongoing.
Supplementary data accompanying this article are available online at www.jpain.org and www.sciencedirect.com.
This work has not been published previously except as an abstract and presented in poster format at the 2014 American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) Annual MedSci conference, Orlando, FL, 2014. Dr. Wiegand was the presenter.