- •Position sense was examined in patients with unilateral chronic pain.
- •A muscular contraction or stretch was used to modulate muscle spindle activity.
- •The unilateral chronic pain groups produced comparable position errors as healthy controls.
- •Painful and nonpainful limbs are involved in limb-matching.
- •Lateralized pain, in the arm or leg, does not influence forearm position sense.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Are lumbar repositioning errors larger among patients with chronic low back pain compared with asymptomatic subjects?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 1170-1176
- Motor dysfunction of complex regional pain syndrome is related to impaired central processing of proprioceptive information.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1460-1474
- The effects of experimental muscle and skin pain on the static stretch sensitivity of human muscle spindles in relaxed leg muscles.J Physiol. 2008; 586: 2713-2723
- The role of paraspinal muscle spindles in lumbosacral position sense in individuals with and without low back pain.Spine. 2000; 25: 989-994
- Pain assessment: Global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1994; 23: 129-138
- Mental motor imagery and chronic pain: The foot laterality task.J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2010; 16: 603-612
- The effect of degenerative arthritis and prosthetic arthroplasty on shoulder proprioception.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005; 14: 345-348
- Can pain influence the proprioception and the motor behavior in subjects with mild and moderate knee osteoarthritis?.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 321
- Repositioning accuracy and movement parameters in low back pain subjects and healthy control subjects.Eur Spine J. 2005; 14: 185-191
- Tonic muscle pain does not increase fusimotor drive to human leg muscles: Implications for chronic muscle pain.Exp Physiol. 2013; 98: 1125-1132
- Extensive reorganization of primary somatosensory cortex in chronic back pain patients.Neurosci Lett. 1997; 224: 5-8
- Phantom limb pain: A case of maladaptive CNS plasticity?.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2006; 7: 873-881
- The measurement of lumbar proprioception in individuals with and without low back pain. Spine.(Phila Pa 1976). 1998; 23: 371-377
- Upper limb asymmetries in the utilization of proprioceptive feedback.Exp Brain Res. 2006; 168: 307-311
- Aftereffects in the responses of cat muscle spindles and errors of limb position sense in man.J Neurophysiol. 1988; 59: 1220-1230
- Two kinds of resting discharge in cat muscle spindles.J Neurophysiol. 1991; 66: 602-612
- Integration of visual and proprioceptive afferents in kinesthesia.Neuroscience. 2012; 223: 258-268
- Effects of passive correction of scapular position on pain, proprioception, and range of motion in neck-pain patients with bilateral scapular downward-rotation syndrome.Man Ther. 2011; 16: 585-589
- Spatial sensory organization and body representation in pain perception.Curr Biol. 2013; 23: R164-R176
- Bogus visual feedback alters onset of movement-evoked pain in people with neck pain.Psychol Sci. 2015; 26: 385-392
- Changes in motor planning of feedforward postural responses of the trunk muscles in low back pain.Exp Brain Res. 2001; 141: 261-266
- Moving differently in pain: A new theory to explain the adaptation to pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S90-S98
- Visual bias of unseen hand position with a mirror: spatial and temporal factors.Exp Brain Res. 2005; 166: 489-497
- The illusion of changed position and movement from vibrating one arm is altered by vision or movement of the other arm.J Physiol. 2010; 588: 2789-2800
- Pathophysiological mechanisms involved in genesis and spread of muscular tension in occupational muscle pain and in chronic musculoskeletal pain syndromes: A hypothesis.Med Hypotheses. 1991; 35: 196-203
- Changes in head and neck position have a greater effect on elbow joint position sense in people with whiplash-associated disorders.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 512-518
- Influence of vision on vibration-induced illusions of limb movement.Exp Neurol. 1984; 85: 97-106
- Lumbar spine kinesthesia in patients with low back pain.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1999; 29: 294-299
- Comparison of trunk proprioception between patients with low back pain and healthy controls.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1327-1331
- Motor cortex rTMS restores defective intracortical inhibition in chronic neuropathic pain.Neurology. 2006; 67: 1568-1574
- Wherever is my arm? Impaired upper limb position accuracy in complex regional pain syndrome.Pain. 2010; 149: 463-469
- Implicit and explicit body representations.Eur Psychol. 2015; 20: 6-15
- An implicit body representation underlying human position sense.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010; 107: 11727-11732
- Role of distorted body image in pain.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2007; 9: 488-496
- The structure of negative emotional states: Comparison of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS) with the Beck Depression and Anxiety Inventories.Behav Res Ther. 1995; 33: 335-343
- Chronic pain may change the structure of the brain.Pain. 2008; 137: 7-15
- The Tampa Scale: A measure of kinesiophobia.Clin J Pain. 1991; 7: 51-52
- The after-effects of stretch and fusimotor stimulation on the responses of primary endings of cat muscle spindles.J Physiol. 1984; 356: 465-477
- Pain relief due to physiotherapy doesn’t change the motor function of the shoulder.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2011; 15: 309-318
- Targeting cortical representations in the treatment of chronic pain: A review.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2012; 26: 646-652
- Limb-specific autonomic dysfunction in complex regional pain syndrome modulated by wearing prism glasses.Pain. 2013; 154: 2463-2468
- Spatially defined modulation of skin temperature and hand ownership of both hands in patients with unilateral complex regional pain syndrome.Brain. 2012; 135: 3676-3686
- Space-based, but not arm-based, shift in tactile processing in complex regional pain syndrome and its relationship to cooling of the affected limb.Brain. 2009; 132: 3142-3151
- Repositioning error in low back pain: Comparing trunk repositioning error in subjects with chronic low back pain and control subjects.Spine. 2000; 25: 245-250
- Differences in repositioning error among patients with low back pain compared with control subjects.Spine. 2000; 25: 2488-2493
- Lumbar repositioning deficit in a specific low back pain population.Spine. 2003; 28: 1074-1079
- Imagined spatial transformations of one’s hands and feet.Cogn Psychol. 1987; 19: 178-241
- Integrating cognitive psychology, neurology and neuroimaging.Acta Psychol. 2001; 107: 155-181
- Altered interpretation of neck proprioceptive signals in persons with subclinical recurrent neck pain.J Rehabil Med. 2008; 40: 426-432
- Proprioception of the shoulder joint after surgical repair for instability: A long-term follow-up study.Am J Sports Med. 2004; 32: 425-430
- The role of muscle proprioceptors in human limb position sense: A hypothesis.J Anat. 2015; 227: 178-183
- The proprioceptive senses: Their roles in signaling body shape, body position and movement, and muscle force.Physiol Rev. 2012; 92: 1651-1697
- Thixotropy in skeletal muscle and in muscle spindles: A review.Prog Neurobiol. 1993; 41: 705-721
- Muscle thixotropy as a tool in the study of proprioception.Exp Brain Res. 2014; 232: 3397-3412
- Pain and the body schema. Evidence for peripheral effects on mental representations of movement.Brain. 2001; 124: 2098-2104
- Spinal position sense and trunk muscle activity during sitting and standing in nonspecific chronic low back pain: Classification analysis.Spine. 2012; 37: E486-E495
- Tactile acuity is disrupted in osteoarthritis but is unrelated to disruptions in motor imagery performance.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013; 52: 1509-1519
- Position sense at the human forearm after conditioning elbow muscles with isometric contractions.Exp Brain Res. 2015; 233: 2635-2643
- Sensing the body in chronic pain: A review of psychophysical studies implicating altered body representation.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 52: 221-232
- The sensory origins of human position sense.J Physiol. 2016; 594: 1037-1049
- Limb position sense, proprioceptive drift and muscle thixotropy at the human elbow joint.J Physiol. 2014; 592: 2679-2694
- Evaluation of a prototype tool for communicating body perception disturbances in complex regional pain syndrome.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 517
- Illusions of forearm displacement during vibration of elbow muscles in humans.Exp Brain Res. 2009; 192: 113-120
Melita J. Giummarra was supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council (Australia) early career fellowship (APP1036124).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.