- •Prepubertal children with high levels of sedentary behavior have an increased likelihood of various pain conditions.
- •Prepubertal children with low levels of cardiorespiratory fitness may be at increased risk of any pain and headache.
- •Prepubertal children with low body fat content may be at increased risk of any pain, multiple pain, and lower limb pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Increasing body mass index z-score is continuously associated with complications of overweight in children, even in healthy weight range.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 517-522
- Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: International survey.BMJ. 2000; 320: 1240-1243
- Overweight in children and adolescents: Pathophysiology, consequences, prevention, and treatment.Circulation. 2005; 111: 1999-2012
- Obesity is a risk factor for musculoskeletal pain in adolescents: Findings from a population-based cohort.Pain. 2012; 153: 1932-1938
- Exercise tolerance in children and adolescents with musculoskeletal pain in joint hypermobility and joint hypomobility syndrome.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 690-696
- Associations of physical activity and sedentary behavior with academic skills–a follow-up study among primary school children.PLoS One. 2014; 10: 9
- Back, neck, and shoulder pain in Finnish adolescents: National cross sectional surveys.BMJ. 2002; 325: 743
- Frequent computer-related activities increase the risk of neck-shoulder and low back pain in adolescents.Eur J Public Health. 2006; 16: 536-541
- Obesity in the paediatric headache population: A multicenter study.Headache. 2009; 49: 170-177
- Physical inactivity is associated with chronic musculoskeletal complaints 11 years later: Results from the Nord-Trondelag Health Study.BMC Musculoskel Disord. 2008; 9: 159
- Predicting the onset of widespread body pain among children.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 48: 2615-2621
- Physical activity in children and adolescents.PM R. 2012; 4: 826-832
- Cardiovascular fitness and haemodynamic responses to maximal cycle test in children 6-8 years of age.J Sports Sci. 2014; 32: 652-659
- Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls.Arch Dis Child. 1969; 44: 291-303
- Variations in the pattern of pubertal changes in boys.Arch Dis Child. 1970; 45: 13-23
- Psychosocial, mechanical, and metabolic factors in adolescents’ musculoskeletal pain in multiple locations: A cross-sectional study.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 395-401
- Childhood Obesity: Prevention and Treatment.2nd ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, London, New York, Washington DC2005
- Primary headaches in children: Clinical findings on the association with other conditions.Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2012; 14: 1083-1091
- Pain in children and adolescents: A common experience.Pain. 2000; 87: 51-58
- Descriptive epidemiology and health consequences of childhood obesity.Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 19: 327-341
- Pain among children and adolescents: Restrictions in daily living and triggering factors.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 152-162
- New Finnish growth references for children and adolescents aged 0 to 20 years: Length/height-for-age, weight-for-length/height, and body mass index-for-age.Ann Med. 2011; 43: 235-248
- Recurrent pain and discomfort in relation to fitness and physical activity among young school children.Eur J Sport Sci. 2013; 13: 591-598
- Quantifying the association between physical activity and injury in primary school-aged children.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 43-50
- Musculoskeletal pain in obese children and adolescents.Acta Paediatr. 2008; 97: 489-493
- Pain and moderate to vigorous physical activity in adolescence: An international population-based survey.Pain Med. 2016; 17: 813-819
- Secular changes in pediatric aerobic fitness test performance: The global picture.Med Sport Sci. 2007; 50: 46-66
- Screen-based activities and physical complaints among adolescents from the Nordic countries.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 234
- Systematic review of sedentary behavior and health indicators in school-aged children and youth.Int J Behav Nutr Phys. 2011; 8: 98
- Physical activity and sedentary behaviour in relation to cardiometabolic risk in children: Cross-sectional findings from the Physical Activity and Nutrition in Children (PANIC) study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 55
- Clinical signs of temporomandibular disorders and various pain conditions among children 6 to 8 years of age: The PANIC study.J Orofac Pain. 2012; 26: 17-25
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in 5- and 12-year-old Finnish children in 1986 and 2006.Acta Paediatr. 2009; 98: 507-512
- High-level physical activity in childhood seems to protect against low back pain in early adolescence.Spine J. 2009; 9: 134-141
- Back pain in children: No association with objectively measured level of physical activity.Spine J. 2003; 28: 2019-2024
- Clinical management of young patients presenting with headache.Funct Neurol. 2000; 15: 89-105
M.N. and T.A.L. share the last authorship.
This work was financially supported by the Finnish Doctoral Program in Oral Sciences, the Finnish Dental Society Apollonia, the Finnish Pain Society, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health of Finland, the Ministry of Education and Culture of Finland, the Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra, the Social Insurance Institution of Finland, the Finnish Cultural Foundation, the Juho Vainio Foundation, the Foundation for Paediatric Research, the Paulo Foundation, the Paavo Nurmi Foundation, the Diabetes Research Foundation, and the Kuopio University Hospital (EVO-funding number 5031343), the Research Committee of the Kuopio University Hospital Catchment Area for the State Research Funding and city of Kuopio.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.