- •The motion-captured, computer-generated avatars engaged in several motions that are typically feared by those with chronic low back pain.
- •These avatars were seen as realistic by both individuals with chronic low back pain and physical therapists.
- •Participants in the study were successfully able to create a hierarchy of fears by ranking the behaviors performed by the avatars.
- •Initial reliability and validity of the virtual human assessment was established.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Getting Over OCD: A 10-Step Workbook For Taking Back Your Life.Guilford Press, New York, NY2009
- A Kinect-based system for physical rehabilitation: A pilot study for young adults with motor disabilities.Res Dev Disabil. 2011; 32: 2566-2570
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy For PTSD: Emotional Processing of Traumatic Experiences Therapist Guide.Oxford University Press, New York, NY2007
- Development of a self-report measure of fearful activities for patients with low back pain: The Fear of Daily Activities Questionnaire.Phys Ther. 2009; 89: 969-979
- Virtual human technology: Capturing sex, race, and age influences in individual pain decision policies.Pain. 2008; 140: 231-238
- Fear of pain, pain catastrophizing, and acute pain perception: Relative prediction and timing of assessment.J Pain. 2008; 9: 806-812
- Development and evaluation of low cost game-based balance rehabilitation tool using the Microsoft Kinect sensor.Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011; 2011: 1831-1834
- The fear-avoidance model of musculoskeletal pain: Current state of scientific evidence.J Behav Med. 2007; 30: 77-94
- Measuring perceived harmfulness of physical activities in patients with chronic low back pain: The Photograph Series of Daily Activities—short electronic version.J Pain. 2007; 8: 840-849
- Outline of a fear-avoidance model of exaggerated pain perception—I.Behav Res Ther. 1983; 21: 401-408
- The assessment of anxiety and fear in persons with chronic pain: A comparison of instruments.Behav Res Ther. 1996; 34: 927-933
- The pain anxiety symptoms scale: Development and validation of a scale to measure fear of pain.Pain. 1992; 50: 67-73
- The Tampa Scale: A measure of Kinisophobia.Clin J Pain. 1991; 7: 51
- Fear and anxiety: Divergent effects on human pain thresholds.Pain. 2000; 84: 65-75
- Face Your Fears: A Proven Plan to Beat Anxiety, Panic, Phobias, and Obsessions.John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ2012
- The treatment of fear of movement/(re) injury in chronic low back pain: Further evidence on the effectiveness of exposure in vivo.Clin J Pain. 2002; 18: 251-261
- Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: A state of the art.Pain. 2000; 85: 317-332
iPiSoft Wiki: User Guide for Dual Depth Sensor Configuration. http://wiki.ipisoft.com/User_Guide_for_Dual_Depth_Sensor_Configuration. Accessed July 6, 2013
This project was supported by funds from the Center for Pain Research and Behavioral Health at the University of Florida.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.