- •Increased gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) levels were associated with increased pain and more frequent central sensitization symptoms in patients with migraine.
- •Our results provide preliminary evidence for the possible involvement of GABA in migraine pathophysiology.
- •GABA is a potential biomarker for migraine.
- •Measuring clinical characteristics of migraine using self-report questionnaires might be useful in characterizing migraine better and broadening the diagnostic process.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Elevated levels of GABA+ in migraine detected using 1H-MRS.NMR Biomed. 2015; 28: 890-897
- Occipital levels of GABA are related to severe headaches in migraine.Neurology. 2008; 70: 2078-2080
- Is migraine a neuropathic pain syndrome?.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2006; 10: 167-178
- Understanding migraine through the lens of maladaptive stress responses: A model disease of allostatic load.Neuron. 2012; 73: 219-234
- An update on the blood vessel in migraine.Curr Opin Neurol. 2010; 23: 266-274
- A randomized trial of a web-based intervention to improve migraine self-management and coping.Headache. 2012; 52: 244-261
- Migraine: Multiple processes, complex pathophysiology.J Neurosci. 2015; 35: 6619-6629
- Psychiatric comorbidities of episodic and chronic migraine.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 1960-1969
- Habituation and sensitization in primary headaches.J Headache Pain. 2013; 14: 65-77
- Central sensitization theory of migraine: Clinical implications.Headache. 2006; 46: S182-S191
- Biomarkers associated with migraine and their potential role in migraine management.Headache. 2013; 53: 1262-1267
- Development and initial validation of an expanded and revised version of the Short-form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ-2).Pain. 2009; 144: 35-42
- The role of GABA in the mediation and perception of pain.Adv Pharmacol. 2006; 54: 1-27
- Higher glutamate+glutamine and reduction of N-acetylaspartate in posterior cingulate according to age range in patients with cognitive impairment and/or pain.Acad Radiol. 2014; 21: 1211-1217
- Reduced insular γ-aminobutyric acid in fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 579-583
- Thalamic activity and biochemical changes in individuals with neuropathic pain after spinal cord injury.Pain. 2014; 155: 1027-1036
- An investigation of the effectiveness of a composed model of cognitive-behavior headache management on the treatment of anxiety, depression, stress and migraine symptoms.Proc Soc Behav Sci. 2013; 84: 1850-1855
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders: 2nd edition.Cephalalgia. 2004; 24: 9-160
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version).Cephalalgia. 2013; 33: 629-808
- The short-form version of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS-21): Construct validity and normative data in a large non-clinical sample.Br J Clin Psychol. 2005; 44: 227-239
- Criteria for evaluation of novel markers of cardiovascular risk: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2009; 119: 2408-2416
- Specific subtypes of cortical GABA interneurons contribute to the neurovascular coupling response to basal forebrain stimulation.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2008; 28: 221-231
- Exploration of migraine pain, disability, depressive symptomatology, and coping: A pilot study.Health Care Women Int. 2000; 21: 203-218
- A six-item short-form survey for measuring headache impact: the HIT-6.Qual Life Res. 2003; 12: 963-974
- Burden of migraine: International perspectives.Neurol Sci. 2013; 34: S117-S118
- Migraine: Epidemiology, impact, and risk factors for progression.Headache. 2005; 45: S3-S13
- Cutaneous allodynia in the migraine population.Ann Neurol. 2008; 63: 148-158
- Manual for the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales.2nd ed. Psychology Foundation of Australia, Sydney1995
- Role of GABAergic inhibition in hippocampal network oscillations.Trends Neurosci. 2007; 30: 343-349
- The development and psychometric validation of the Central Sensitization Inventory.Pain Pract. 2012; 12: 276-285
- The GABA system in anxiety and depression and its therapeutic potential.Neuropharmacology. 2012; 62: 42-53
- Use of the headache impact test (HIT-6) in general practice: Relationship with quality of life and severity.Eur J Neurol. 2005; 12: 189-193
- The Central Sensitization Inventory (CSI): Establishing clinically significant values for identifying central sensitivity syndromes in an outpatient chronic pain sample.J Pain. 2013; 14: 438-445
- Ability of the Central Sensitization Inventory to identify central sensitivity syndromes in an outpatient chronic pain sample.Clin J Pain. 2014; 31: 323-332
- Depression, anxiety and stress among pregnant migraineurs in a pacific-northwest cohort.J Affect Disord. 2014; 172: 390-396
- Pathophysiology of migraine.Annu Rev Physiol. 2013; 75: 365-391
- Evaluating the clinical utility of a biomarker: A review of methods for estimating health impact.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1116-1124
- Foundations of Clinical Research: Applications to Practice.3rd ed. Pearson/Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ2009
- Canadian population survey on the clinical, epidemiologic and societal impact of migraine and tension-type headache.Can J Neurol Sci. 1992; 19: 333-339
- Headache in the world: Public health and research priorities.Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2013; 13: 51-57
- Migraine: A disorder of brain excitatory-inhibitory balance?.Trends Neurosci. 2012; 35: 507-520
- Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2163-2196
- Atlas of headache disorders and resources in the world 2011.World Health Organization, Geneva2011: 40-42
- Mechanisms of intrinsic epileptogenesis in human gelastic seizures with hypothalamic hamartoma.CNS Neurosci Ther. 2015; 21: 104-111
- Association between somatic amplification, anxiety, depression, stress and migraine.J Headache Pain. 2013; 14: 53
- Receiver-operating characteristic (ROC) plots: A fundamental evaluation tool in clinical medicine.Clin Chem. 1993; 39: 561-577
This research was funded by a Bridging Grant from the University of Sydney. Maria-Eliza R. Aguila was supported by a fellowship through the Doctoral Studies Fund under the Expanded Modernization Program of the University of the Philippines. Trudy Rebbeck was supported by a fellowship from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council. Markus Hübscher was supported by a postdoctoral fellowship from the German Academic Exchange Service.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.