- •Classical conditioning could drive pain to persist after tissue has healed.
- •Neutral somatosensory stimuli could influence pain thresholds via conditioning.
- •This study tested for conditioned alterations of human pain thresholds to laser.
- •It used simultaneous pairing of non-noxious with noxious stimuli.
- •The results showed a classically conditioned change in human pain thresholds.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Psychometric properties of the 42-item and 21-item versions of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales in clinical groups and a community sample.Psychol Assess. 1998; 10: 176-181
- Pain perception in relation to emotional learning.Curr Opin Neurbiol. 2008; 18: 464-468
- Treatments addressing pain-related fear and anxiety in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain: A preliminary review.Cogn Behav Ther. 2009; 39: 46-63
- Simultaneous conditioning demonstrated in second-order conditioning: Evidence for similar associative structure in forward and simultaneous conditioning.Learning and Motivation. 1991; 22: 253-268
- A continuous measure of phasic electrodermal activity.J Neurosci Methods. 2010; 190: 80-91
- Do people with chronic pain have impaired executive function? A meta-analytical review.Clin Psychol Rev. 2014; 34: 563-579
- Evidence for working memory deficits in chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2013; 154: 1181-1196
- Chronic pain in Australia: A prevalence study.Pain. 2001; 89: 127-134
- The Positive and Negative Affect Schedule (PANAS): Construct validity, measurement properties and normative data in a large non-clinical sample.Br J Clin Psychol. 2004; 43: 245-265
- Fear conditioning in humans: The influence of awareness and autonomic arousal on functional neuroanatomy.Neuron. 2002; 33: 653-663
- A conceptual and theoretical analysis of evaluative conditioning.Span J Psychol. 2007; 10: 230-241
- Reduction of pain-related fear and increased function and participation in work-related upper extremity pain (WRUEP): Effects of exposure in vivo.Pain. 2012; 153: 2109-2118
- G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Manual for the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales, 1995.Psychology Foundation, Sydney2005
- Can pain or hyperalgesia be a classically conditioned response in humans? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain Med. 2016; 17: 1094-1111
- Do clinicians think that pain can be a classically conditioned response to a non-noxious stimulus?.Man Ther. 2016; 22: 165-173
- Chronic pain: The role of learning and brain plasticity.Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2014; 32: 129-139
- Information and expression of simultaneous and backward associations: Implications for contiguity theory.Learn Motiv. 1988; 19: 317-344
- Differences in pain-related fear acquisition and generalization: An experimental study comparing patients with fibromyalgia and healthy controls.Pain. 2015; 156: 108-122
- The propositional nature of human associative learning.Behav Brain Sci. 2009; 32: 183-198
- Beyond nociception: The imprecision hypothesis of chronic pain.Pain. 2015; 156: 35-38
- Exercise therapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain: Innovation by altering pain memories.Man Ther. 2015; 20: 216-220
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: Further psychometric evaluation with adult samples.J Behav Med. 2000; 23: 351-365
- Lectures on Conditioned Reflexes.Liverlight Publishing Company, New York1928
- The magnitude of nocebo effects in pain: A meta-analysis.Pain. 2014; 155: 1426-1434
- Interoception and symptom reporting: Disentangling accuracy and bias.Front Psychol. 2015; 6: 732
- How do we selectively activate skin nociceptors with a high power infrared laser? Physiology and biophysics of laser stimulation.Neurophysiol Clin. 2003; 33: 269-277
- Pavlovian conditioning: It’s not what you think it is.Am Psychol. 1988; 43: 151-160
- Simultaneous and successive associations in sensory preconditioning.J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process. 1980; 6: 207-216
- Time as content in Pavlovian conditioning.Behav Processes. 1998; 44: 147-162
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic musculoskeletal pain: 12 years on.Pain. 2012; 153: 1144-1147
- Pain-Related Fear: Exposure-Based Treatment for Chronic Pain.IASP Press, Seattle2012
- Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: The PANAS scales.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1988; 54: 1063-1070
- Anterior insula integrates information about salience into perceptual decisions about pain.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 16324-16331
- The influence of conditioned fear on human pain thresholds: Does preparedness play a role?.J Pain. 2007; 8: 598-606
- The relation between pain-related fear and disability: A meta-analysis.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1019-1030
Zuberbühler HJ: Rapid evaluation of perceptual thresholds, the Best-Pest Calculator: A web-based application for non-expert users. Available at: http://www.psychophysics.ethz.ch/Downloads/RapEval.pdf. Accessed October 2014
- Associative memory for movement-evoked chronic bak pain and its extinction with musculoskeletal physiotherapy.Phys Ther Rev. 2008; 13: 57-68
J.W.S.V. and G.L.M. contributed equally to this report as last authors.
V.J.M. was supported by the Oppenheimer Memorial Trust, South Africa, and is now supported by an Innovation Postdoctoral Scholarship from the National Research Foundation of South Africa. J.W.S.V. is supported by the Odysseus Grant, “The Psychology of Pain and Disability Research Program” funded by the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO-Vlaanderen), Belgium, as well as the “Asthenes” long-term structural funding—Methusalem grant by the Flemish Government, Belgium. G.L.M. is supported by an Australian National Health and Medical Research Council Principal Research grant (1061279). This project was supported by a project grant from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (1047317).
GLM has received support from Pfizer, Kaiser Permanente, Results Physiotherapy and Agile Physiotherapy. He receives speaker fees for lectures on pain and rehabilitation and royalties for books on pain and rehabilitation.