- •Participants were injected with nerve growth factor (day 0) and hypertonic saline (day 2).
- •Saline-induced pain increased the variation and changed the direction of the force.
- •Persistent pain changed force direction from the pain-free direction.
- •The results support the search and consolidation of new motor strategies during pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Spatial and temporal aspects of muscle hyperalgesia induced by nerve growth factor in humans.Exp Brain Res. 2008; 191: 371-382
- Effects of experimental muscle pain on shoulder-abduction force steadiness and muscle activity in healthy subjects.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2008; 102: 643-650
- Children’s processing of information in motor skill acquisition.J Exp Child Psychol. 1980; 30: 98-108
- Movement evoked pain and mechanical hyperalgesia after intramuscular injection of nerve growth factor: A model of sustained elbow pain.Pain Med. 2015; 16: 2180-2191
- Experimental muscle pain modulates muscle activity and work performance differently during high and low precision use of a computer mouse.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2000; 83: 492-498
- The effects of intra-oral pain on motor cortex neuroplasticity associated with short-term novel tongue-protrusion training in humans.Pain. 2007; 132: 169-178
- Experimental muscle pain produces central modulation of proprioceptive signals arising from jaw muscle spindles.Pain. 2000; 86: 151-162
- Chronic pain and distraction: An experimental investigation into the role of sustained and shifting attention in the processing of chronic persistent pain.Behav Res Ther. 1995; 33: 391-405
- Effect of experimental muscle pain on motor unit firing rate and conduction velocity.J Neurophysiol. 2004; 91: 1250-1259
- The modification of avoidance learning pain behaviors.J Behav Med. 1982; 5: 405-414
- Delayed onset muscle soreness at tendon-bone junction and muscle tissue is associated with facilitated referred pain.Exp Brain Res. 2006; 174: 351-360
- Fundamentals of muscle pain, referred pain, and deep tissue hyperalgesia.Scand J Rheumatol Suppl. 2006; 122: 1-43
- Effects of experimental muscle pain on muscle activity and co-ordination during static and dynamic motor function.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1997; 105: 156-164
- Repeated intramuscular injections of nerve growth factor induced progressive muscle hyperalgesia, facilitated temporal summation, and expanded pain areas.Pain. 2013; 154: 2344-2352
- Reorganised motor control strategies of trunk muscles due to acute low back pain.Hum Mov Sci. 2015; 41: 282-294
- New insight into motor adaptation to pain revealed by a combination of modelling and empirical approaches.Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 1138-1146
- Moving differently in pain: A new theory to explain the adaptation to pain.Pain. 2011; 152: 90-98
- Effect of pain location on spatial reorganisation of muscle activity.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2013; 23: 1413-1420
- The effect of pain on training-induced plasticity of the corticomotor system.Eur J Pain. 2011; 15: 1028-1034
- Thin-fibre receptors responding to mechanical, chemical, and thermal stimulation in the skeletal muscle of the dog.J Physiol. 1977; 273: 179-194
- Changes in fluctuation of isometric force following eccentric and concentric exercise of the elbow flexors.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2006; 96: 235-240
- The pain-adaptation model: A discussion of the relationship between chronic musculoskeletal pain and motor activity.Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1991; 69: 683-694
- Experimental muscle pain changes the spatial distribution of upper trapezius muscle activity during sustained contraction.Clin Neurophysiol. 2006; 117: 2436-2445
- Motor unit syncronization is reduced in anterior knee pain.J Pain. 2005; 6: 550-558
- Modulation of motor variability related to experimental muscle pain during elbow-flexion contractions.Hum Mov Sci. 2015; 39: 222-235
- Spatial reorganisation of muscle activity correlates with change in tangential force variability during isometric contractions.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2014; 24: 37-45
- Reduced variability of postural strategy prevents normalization of motor changes induced by back pain: A risk factor for chronic trouble?.Behav Neurosci. 2006; 120: 474-476
- Neurotrophins: Mediators and modulators of pain.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2006; 29: 507-538
- Measures of postural steadiness: Differences between healthy young and elderly adults.IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 1996; 43: 956-966
- NGF induces non-inflammatory localized and lasting mechanical and thermal hypersensitivity in human skin.Pain. 2010; 148: 407-413
- Variability of three-dimensional forces increase during experimental knee pain.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2013; 113: 567-575
- Experimental muscle pain increases normalized variability of multidirectional forces during isometric contractions.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2012; 112: 3607-3617
- Muscle fatigue increases the amplitude of fluctuations of tangential forces during isometric contractions.Hum Mov Sci. 2012; 31: 758-771
- Pain and Its Origins, Diagnosis and Treatments.in: 1st ed. Nova Science Publishers, New York2011
- Eccentric exercise increases EMG amplitude and force fluctuations during submaximal contractions of elbow flexor muscles.J Appl Physiol. 2007; 103: 979-989
- Sensory and motor effects of experimental muscle pain in patients with lateral epicondylalgia and controls with delayed onset muscle soreness.Pain. 2005; 114: 118-130
- Amount and structure of force variability during short, ramp and sustained contractions in males and females.Hum Mov Sci. 2010; 29: 35-47
- Injection of nerve growth factor into human masseter muscle evokes long-lasting mechanical allodynia and hyperalgesia.Pain. 2003; 104: 241-247
- Effects of NGF-induced muscle sensitization on proprioception and nociception.Exp Brain Res. 2008; 189: 1-10
- Experimentally-induced low back pain from hypertonic saline injections into lumbar interspinous ligament and erector spinae muscle.Pain. 2010; 150: 167-172
- Motor unit recruitment strategies are altered during deep-tissue pain.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 10820-10826
- Changes in motor unit recruitment strategy during pain alters force direction.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 932-938
- Similar alteration of motor unit recruitment strategies during the anticipation and experience of pain.Pain. 2012; 153: 636-643
- Imaging brain plasticity during motor skill learning.Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2002; 78: 553-564
- Effects of local pressure and vibration on muscle pain from eccentric exercise and hypertonic saline.Pain. 2003; 105: 425-435
- Motor-unit synchronization increases EMG amplitude and decreases force steadiness of simulated contractions.J Neurophysiol. 2000; 83: 441-452
The Center for Neuroplasticity and Pain is supported by the Danish National Research Foundation (DNRF121). P.H. is supported by a Senior Principal Research Fellowship (APP1002190) and Program Grant (ID631717) from the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.