- •Caregiver behavior is a mechanism by which culture affects infant acute pain.
- •Individualism is measured using a systematic continuous scale.
- •Emotional availability mediated caregiver culture and infant pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Conceptual approaches to acculturation.in: Chun K.M. Balls Organista P. Marin G. Acculturation: Advances in Theory, Measurement, and Applied Research. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC2003: 17-37
Biringen Z: The emotional availability (EA) scales, 4th ed. Published by emotionalavailability.com, 2008
- Emotional availability (EA): Theoretical background, empirical research using the EA scales, and clinical applications.Dev Rev. 2014; 34: 114-167
- Attachment and Loss: Vol 1: Attachment.Basic Books, New York1969/1982
- A cross-sectional examination of the relationships between caregiver proximal soothing and infant pain over the first year of life.Pain. 2013; 154: 813-823
- Social influences, culture, and ethnicity.in: McGrath P.J. Finley G.A. Pediatric Pain: Biological and Social Context. IASP Press, Seattle2003: 159-182
- Culture and human development: Implications for parenting, educating, pediatrics, and mental health.in: Sigel I.E. Renninger K.A. Damon W. Handbook of Personality Psychology in Practice. 5th ed. Wiley, New York1998: 1059-1109
- Pain expression in neonates: Facial action and cry.Pain. 1987; 28: 395-410
- Long-term consequences of pain in human neonates.Semin Fetal Neonat Med. 1987; 11: 268-275
- Beyond Baron and Kenny: Statistical mediation analysis in the new millennium.Commun Monogr. 2009; 76: 408-420
- Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach.The Guildford Press, New York2013
- Culture’s consequences: International differences in work-related values.Sage Publications, Beverly Hills, CA1980
- Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind.3rd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York2010
- A systematic review of cross-cultural comparison studies of child, parent, and health professional outcomes associated with pediatric medical procedures.J Pain. 2012; 13: 207-219
- Differences between Japanese infants and Caucasian American infants in behavioral and cortisol response to inoculation.Child Dev. 1993; 64: 1722-1731
- Biobehavioral pain responses in former extremely low birth weight infants at four months’ corrected age.Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 1-10
- The relationships among caregiver culture, caregiver behaviours, and infant pain at 12 months of age.(Master’s thesis) York University, Toronto, Canada2014 (Available at:)http://yorkspace.library.yorku.ca/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10315/29897/ONeill_Monica_C_2014_MA.pdf?sequence=2(Accessed December 7, 2015)
- Parental judgments of infant pain: Importance of perceived cognitive abilities, behavioral cues and contextual cues.Pain. 2004; 9: 73-80
- The relationship between caregiver sensitivity and infant pain behaviors across the first year of life.Pain. 2011; 152: 2819-2826
- Variability in infant acute pain responding meaningfully obscured by averaging pain responses.Pain. 2013; 154: 714-721
- Assessing pain in infancy: The caregiver context.Pain Res Manag. 2009; 14: 27-32
- Psychological theories and biopsychosocial models in pediatric pain.in: McGrath P. Stevens B. Walker S. Zempsky W. The Oxford Textbook of Pediatric Pain. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom2013: 85-94
- Predicting maternal and behavioral measures of infant pain: The relative contribution of maternal factors.Pain. 2007; 133: 138-149
- Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models.Behav Res Methods. 2008; 40: 879-891
- Contemporary approaches to assessing mediation in communication research.in: Hayes A.F. Slater M.D. Snyder L.B. The Sage Sourcebook of Advanced Data Analysis Methods for Communication Research. Sage Publications, Los Angeles, CA2008: 13-54
- Addressing moderated mediation hypotheses: Theory, methods, and prescriptions.Multivar Behav Res. 2007; 42: 185-227
- Pain response in Chinese and non-Chinese Canadian infants: Is there a difference?.Soc Sci Med. 2000; 51: 175-184
- Is acculturation unidimensional or bidimensional? A head-to-head comparison in the prediction of personality, self-identity, and adjustment.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2000; 79: 49-65
- Effect of neonatal circumcision on pain response during subsequent routine vaccination.Lancet. 1997; 349: 599-603
- Improving national cultural indices using a longitudinal meta-analysis of Hofstede’s dimensions.J World Bus. 2012; 47: 329-341
- Individualism & Collectivism.Westview Press, Boulder, CO1995
- The influence of culture on maternal soothing behaviours and infant pain expression in the immunization context.Pain Res Manag. 2011; 16: 234-238
This research was supported by funds from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR; New Investigator Award and Operating Grant (Principal Investigator: Dr. Pillai Riddell) and the York Research Chairs Program. In addition, Ms. O'Neill received funding from the Ontario Graduate Scholarship program, the Meighen Wright Foundation scholarship program, the CIHR Canada Graduate Scholars program, and the CIHR Pain in Child Health Strategic Training Program.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.